• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:52 am Reply with quote
... why did they even bother making a prologue episode with a "serious" setting if they then do a 180 on the first real episode and set it in a silly school...

I just want a mech show about mech Crying or Very sad
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:56 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
... why did they even bother making a prologue episode with a "serious" setting if they then do a 180 on the first real episode and set it in a silly school...

Whats silly about the school ?

The concept that was the main stay of the episode has been used in one of the greatest anime of all time...see previous post spoiler tag...

Trial by combat as a means of resolving differences is nothing new...
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:09 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

You have an academy for mech pilots and mech engineering, that's basically a proxy for competing weapons manufacturers to test out their experimental mecha in trial combat which will almost undoubtedly escalate into full blown mecha war, and you somehow think this mech show isn't about mechs? This is a pretty bad take.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

A "mech show about mech" would be an operating manual. Mechs, as all mechanics, are tools created by people for a purpose. That purpose is also created by people. They are also operated by people, and what they do affects mainly people. A mech show is, by nature, about the humans working on/with/around or being influenced/affected by the existence of the mechs, the mechs themselves only take center stage when it comes to the, ahem, promotional parts (= battles). Even something like Yukikaze, where the mech are kinda-sorta sentient (in a way) and play a crucial part in the story, is ultimately about people. Also, humans have personalities, Gundam mechs don't. Gundam mech as protagonists wouldn't make for very interesting stories...

If you are only interested in the mechs why don't you just get the models and be done with it?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
meiam wrote:

The concept that was the main stay of the episode has been used in one of the greatest anime of all time...see previous post spoiler tag...

... their teenager... using weapon of war... to resolve petty teenager conflict. I have a hard time thinking of a sillier setting.

And the aforementioned anime was extremely silly (does not mean it was bad)

Amuro1X wrote:

You have an academy for mech pilots and mech engineering, that's basically a proxy for competing weapons manufacturers to test out their experimental mecha in trial combat which will almost undoubtedly escalate into full blown mecha war, and you somehow think this mech show isn't about mechs? This is a pretty bad take.

See previous point, the mech are treated as toy for teenager to joyride in.

SHD wrote:
A "mech show about mech" would be an operating manual. Mechs, as all mechanics, are tools created by people for a purpose. That purpose is also created by people. They are also operated by people, and what they do affects mainly people. A mech show is, by nature, about the humans working on/with/around or being influenced/affected by the existence of the mechs, the mechs themselves only take center stage when it comes to the, ahem, promotional parts (= battles). Even something like Yukikaze, where the mech are kinda-sorta sentient (in a way) and play a crucial part in the story, is ultimately about people. Also, humans have personalities, Gundam mechs don't. Gundam mech as protagonists wouldn't make for very interesting stories...

If you are only interested in the mechs why don't you just get the models and be done with it?

Obviously I don't want sentient mech. But the prologue treated the mech as what they are, weapon of war that have to be developed in a geopolotical setting. That's pretty close to being about mech. First episode throws that out and now mech are toy for teenager to do dick measuring contest with.

I guess another example would be top gun being mainly about jets plane, sure there's a story with human in it, but the movie can be resumed by "Jets plane are [expletive] awesome". Every aspect of the story is centered on jets and trying to replace that aspect would collapse the story.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
gumbaloom wrote:
meiam wrote:

... their teenager... using weapon of war... to resolve petty teenager conflict. I have a hard time thinking of a sillier setting.

And the aforementioned anime was extremely silly (does not mean it was bad)

Amuro1X wrote:

See previous point, the mech are treated as toy for teenager to joyride in.

SHD wrote:

Obviously I don't want sentient mech. But the prologue treated the mech as what they are, weapon of war that have to be developed in a geopolotical setting. That's pretty close to being about mech. First episode throws that out and now mech are toy for teenager to do dick measuring contest with.

I guess another example would be top gun being mainly about jets plane, sure there's a story with human in it, but the movie can be resumed by "Jets plane are [expletive] awesome". Every aspect of the story is centered on jets and trying to replace that aspect would collapse the story.

The prologue is there for 2 reasons. 1 Literally all of the promotional material, outside of the prologue, has been saying this takes place at school and it’s there to say don’t worry we all know you’re all skeptical about Gundam School. However as you can see with this prologue we’re 100% capable of being darker and more mature just trust us for this first section taking place at school while we develop the characters. 2 It’s specifically to put the sense of danger in the back of everyone’s mind during the school sequences to add tension. It’s specifically making a juxtaposition about how dangerous these mechs really are vs how the people at the school treat them as just giant toys. Sure them using the Gundams this way is immature but these are rich teenagers that are the sons and daughters of all these big corporations so of course they’d use mobile suits like this. Also the show is eventually going to move away from petty conflicts into full scale war so it’s eventually going to be a serious mech show, and the people behind the series know people would think exactly what you’re thinking so they created the prologue to say, yes the show will eventually get to this tone just trust us with the Gundam school for now.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

But then what you want is not "a mech show about the mech" but a serious war drama with adult characters, instead of the teen-fluff-that-eventually-turns-into-OTT-drama that every non-UC Gundam show is. Watch UC Gundam then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Like, if you're hung up on the mech in particular then Gundam Thunderbolt is a thing (weird as its manga turned out, after going on way longer than it should have).

meiam wrote:
I guess another example would be top gun being mainly about jets plane, sure there's a story with human in it, but the movie can be resumed by "Jets plane are [expletive] awesome".

Weeeeeeell... as a non-American, to me a summary of Top Gun would be "RAH RAH USA USA" and "USA ARMY AWESOME" (also "MMM HOT GUYS-- er PASSIONATE MALE RIVALRIES AND FRIENDSHIPS") Anime smile + sweatdrop And I say this as someone who had a pretty nice collection of model fighter jets as a kid/teenager (until my brother destroyed them one day, I never recovered from that).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be honest. I thought the new Gundam series will be like Gundam: Three Houses or something. I did NOT expect it to be Gundam spoiler[Utena] of all things! Which makes this series both quite exciting and VERY volatile because if they screw up the story and characters, there's no hope saving the show.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
James Beckett's POP TEAM EPIC S2 review is the best thing I have read all week, PEAK stuff really, if popularity allows, I do hope Mr. Beckett can volunteer to review this series on a weekly basis, might topple EX ARM reviews that are literally behavioral arts
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
I like the part of Bastard!! they're adapting now better than the very beginning (I found the first three books really hard to get through), but it looks like this anime will stop right before the arcs I'm actually a fan of begin. It's a real shame, since those later volumes have some amazing moments and gorgeous artwork.

Haven't been watching Die Neue These, but I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gotten through more of the novels, given how long it's been going on now.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm going to be honest. I thought the new Gundam series will be like Gundam: Three Houses or something. I did NOT expect it to be Gundam spoiler[Utena] of all things! Which makes this series both quite exciting and VERY volatile because if they screw up the story and characters, there's no hope saving the show.

Didn't the screenwriter also write the novelization of Utena?
Millhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:

Didn't the screenwriter also write the novelization of Utena?

Sure did!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
I mean, it wouldn't have killed them to do some research about the different classes in fantasy RPGs and such.

That'd slow down the writing part and compromise their ability to crank out updates as quickly and regularly as humanly possible. And on a platform like Narou, that's crucial to success.

Suzu Miyama posted 35 chapters of Beast Tamer in its first month. Without that, I doubt it would've gotten as high as #11 on the monthly ranking. There's no time for questioning.

(I notice it dropped a lot over the next two months, even though it kept the same update pace. Not sure how it compares to other stories that ended up popular enough to get anime.)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners turned out to be rather watchable, especially during the first 60%, even if the hype is waaay out of control. 7/10 Bee and PuppyCat had its partially remade Netflix debut late last season and it´s half an anime as all of the streaming eps were done by OLM (Pokemon). Cross Steven Universe with candy-colored space horror and you know what to expect. 7/10 The 2nd batches of JoJo Part 6 and to a lesser degree Bastard!! were also ok. Netflix had a shockingly solid showing in September and that needs to be mentioned.

Mob Psycho 100 III and Spy×Family S2 will be alight and I have 3 shows to watch this season so I am good.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Memorial Edition Up to 19 minutes of new material can be inserted if this will run for 13 eps and things will need to be cut if this will run for only 12 eps. The Bonfire of Dreams trailer clip looks even more lifeless than what was forced on the poor manga a decade ago and the first 2 films have a lot of bad and inconsistently used CG on top of that. Slightly touching up the CG models has improved them by like 5% but that is only noticeable in still frames and their animation still sucks. Must we really see this mess fail TWICE? And no, the 2016/17 sequel show being worse doesn´t make any of this good. Make sure that this isn´t your introduction to Berserk at all cost but at least we got a new Susumu song out of this extended “remaster”. Ep 1 seemed to be the same old trash, with new audio censorship during the Guts´ already mauled flashback and the new ED song sucks. 4/10

Chainsaw Man Don´t believe the hype but the manga was a fine read. It is full of self-censorship as it ran side by side with One Piece so I am curious where Mappa will take this. Likely a 7.something/10

Golden Kamuy It´s a shame that this compromised adaptation will be the only shot for the manga at an anime but having the adaptation actually reach the ending is its own reward in a way. Most likely another 6.5/10

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Intrigue The first ep was a bit hoaky in its execution but ep reviews are a bit pointless this far in and I am here for the big picture. 8/10

Legend of Mana: The Teardrop Crystal None of the games are suited for an adaptation but why is the most free flow and plot devoid of them all being adapted for the 2nd time? The middling manga already proved 2 decades ago that this can´t work and Square Enix has much more worthwhile games to adapt. A Valkyrie Profile show would have been much more timely for example.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Ep 0 didn´t give me much to work with but was a watchable war in space backstory. The proper pilot was a chore to sit through and I have zero interest to spend any more time with these abysmally introduced characters or the plot. I´ll quickly check out the 2nd ep to see where this is going to have some context to file away but that will be it. A shame that the IP has nothing to offer to me these days outside of manga but one of these reboots has to turn out good. 5?/10

Makoto Shinkai is a bit hit & miss with me so we´ll see about Suzume's Door-Locking and The First Slam Dunk will be directed by Takehiko Inoue himself. It´s very rare that animated adaptations are handed out to the people who made them and proves how prestigious his name is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
camseyeview140 wrote:
I mean, it wouldn't have killed them to do some research about the different classes in fantasy RPGs and such.

That'd slow down the writing part and compromise their ability to crank out updates as quickly and regularly as humanly possible. And on a platform like Narou, that's crucial to success.

Suzu Miyama posted 35 chapters of Beast Tamer in its first month. Without that, I doubt it would've gotten as high as #11 on the monthly ranking. There's no time for questioning.

(I notice it dropped a lot over the next two months, even though it kept the same update pace. Not sure how it compares to other stories that ended up popular enough to get anime.)

Well, going for quantity over quality has resulted in mediocre writing that got popular because fans don't know any better at this point in time. Just because it has a harem of cute girls and is a fantasy show, that's all that matters instead of writing and character growth.

Anime/manga/LN fans truly don't know any better and I hate feeling so defeatist about it, but it does feel like that so there is really no excuse for the fact fans are part of the problem.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
Also the show is eventually going to move away from petty conflicts into full scale war so it’s eventually going to be a serious mech show, and the people behind the series know people would think exactly what you’re thinking so they created the prologue to say, yes the show will eventually get to this tone just trust us with the Gundam school for now.

Oh probably, but why the change in tone in the first place? Why not say "screw serious, we're just doing silly high school gundam" and keep the tone there. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't get my hope up with the prologue and would just skip it. On the flip side, won't people who are all in on the silly school angle get really disappointed when it'll 180 back into a serious setting (not to mention plenty of people who would be into the silly side possibly watched the prologue and decided to skip the show when they actually would enjoy this)?

SHD wrote:
But then what you want is not "a mech show about the mech" but a serious war drama with adult characters, instead of the teen-fluff-that-eventually-turns-into-OTT-drama that every non-UC Gundam show is. Watch UC Gundam then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Like, if you're hung up on the mech in particular then Gundam Thunderbolt is a thing (weird as its manga turned out, after going on way longer than it should have).

I'd say thunderbolt is probably the closest a full gundam show got to what I'd like but that was like a decade ago at this point and was pretty short, but the rest of UC gundam is 100% not that, I'd take a million silly high school mech show over Zeta. Really I'd say the prologue to witch was the closest gundam I got to a show about mech, which is why I'm pretty disappointed it abandoned all that for highschool rom (?) com, like we need one more of those.

By show about mech I'd say a story where mech are treated as machine and not as super power for character to use. ie they break, they need to be supplied and maintained, they can change pilot, anybody can be a pilot (rather than the chosen one) change in their technology can alter the course of war and they're limited by what the machine specification can do (no "I'm really angry now so my machine can suddenly go 3 time faster). Pilot should earn their position and not just be dumb borderline suicidal teenager that pilot for *insert poorly though of reason*. Oh and no superpower space wizard that make the machine completely pointless. And, most of all, no lending teenager machine literally worth the GDP of a small nation to be used for pointless exercise, that just trivialize the mech and make them seem like scooter or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22