• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2011 Hunter x Hunter Anime to Retell Story From Start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Damn, this ruins the chance of this ever getting dubbed, I doubt Viz Media would license the remake.

Even if it was a sequel, Viz wouldn't touch it. Why, because the TV series flopped for them which is why they won't get the other OVAs.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150244968058552&id=281874918551

Not doing to good = flopped?
You see this is why we need numbers and some kind of Manabi Line to avert odd interpretations like that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
First Berserk and now this?! I'm sick of these anime reboots for open-ended shows, and I don't even watch HxH.
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm also really surprised by this but financially-wise based upon how well the anime is popular in japan and how the manga usually tops the charts in sells i can see why they would want to reboot it from the start. I'm not displeased by the news however. I did want the remake because i thought there are much they could do had they had the chance to go back and now they have it and i'm sure the anime will more legendary than it was before. Being that Madhouse is involved i hope they don't try to push it into one of those shonen series out there like Naruto, and DBZ. What makes Hunter x hunter great it's his well-planned intelligent plots. It's unpredictable, not redundant, and it's not centralized about how powerful one person is going to be and save the world. It's classical, complex and intelligent and i want that on the remake and if not i will not be watching.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I also wonder if we'll see Killua's Wessyde pose in anime form. Laughing
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty sweet. I could never get into the old anime (or most older anime, for that matter) but if they stick true to the manga I can't see this as anything less than awesome.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Given the director they got for this one, I'm not hopeful at all. I also wouldn't expect animation on the level of FMA: Brotherhood either given the state of things at Madhouse right now and the director they chose to spearhead this project. Instead, I would expect a lot of work from DR Movie on this show, but hopefully I'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I also wouldn't expect animation on the level of FMA: Brotherhood either given the state of things at Madhouse right now

What are you talking about?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Another reboot? Of course! The last one is over a decade old! Guess the original TV series is useless now. Mo' moe moe! Laughing
braves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
braves wrote:
I also wouldn't expect animation on the level of FMA: Brotherhood either given the state of things at Madhouse right now

What are you talking about?
http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=31.5716c408 Combine Maruyama's comments about Madhouse with the fact that they've been letting talented TV directors go freelance over the few years (Ryousuke Nakamura, Tomohiko Ito, Tetsuro Araki, Hiroshi Hamasaki) and it's clear they're on the decline when it comes to their TV work. I've been hearing for a while now that they've been hit hard financially and Maruyama having to set up his studio to finish Kon's movie only reinforces those reports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read watched any of HXH. But I've been meaning to for a while. Guess I'll wait till the new season comes out.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse studio specialize in manga adaptions. They almost always do it justice. As someone who seen the subs and own the recently new english dub I couldn't be more happy. The regular tv series itself wasn't the best quality but that was over 10 years ago so thats to be expected. The ova's however were of much higher quality. Now hopefully they will continue off of greed island arc after the retelling.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Uh only the first OVA series had good animation the other OVA series had shit flash like animation. The TV series itself had good animation as well some moments that were god like, like the fight with Zeno, Silva and Kuroro.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Uh only the first OVA series had good animation the other OVA series had shit flash like animation. The TV series itself had good animation as well some moments that were god like, like the fight with Zeno, Silva and Kuroro.

It must be a taste thing because I don't see an issue with the TV series or the first OVA either, even today. Sure the tones are not as bright other anime and there isn't much CGI going on but it aged about as well as Akira or NGE. The brigther Greed Island OVAs look like crap compared to the details and art found in the Genei Ryodan arc.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Greed Island is when they switched to pure digital animation which accounts for the drastic change in color/brightness.

I've always favored cel animation myself, but digital has pretty much taken oven everything Sad
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good time to marathon both the manga and the original anime! My local library has the manga, and I picked up the anime from a combo of Amazon and Ebay when they were released a while back...I'm super psyched for this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4