• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Collect 'Em All

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cainxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know which is worse, driving your self insane trying to complete a series or or holding off on purchasing anything until you know you can get the whole thing tied in a bow. This may be due to my masochistic tendencies, but no matter how much I want it, if it's a completed series, I won't buy any discs unless I know I can get all of them. Also, with any serial item, I hate mismatched collections--I really need them to be from the same printing/publisher/distributor.

I purchased Paradise Kiss and BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, before there was any hint of them going extinct. However, Parakiss' older and cuter sister Gokinjo Monogatari, at $500, would short me more than half a month's rent, but that was before it completely disappeared from Amazon and Ebay. Now, it's like it never existed.

When I picked up Haibane Renmei, it was actually a trade off. I bought Kare Kano (His & Her Circumstances) and found that the collection was missing 3 episodes. Rather than exchanging the set, the retailer wanted to exchange the bad disc and sent a new disc that was supposed to make everything all better. Not even. The new disc had the missing episodes, but lost 2 of the episodes that were on the disc that I sent back. When I contacted them again, they just sent out a disc that include the new missing episodes plus ones that I already had. Well, if I don't like mismatched collections, I'm certainly not going to go for housing 4 discs in a 3-disc case. Since they wouldn't allow a refund, I decided on Haibane Renmei and Sword of a Stranger for less than $30. Now I see that it's "as low as" $225 on Amazon and $165 on Ebay. Crazy.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The maison ikkoku manga, volume 8 and 9. I could buy the two of these as they're available on amazon but they're from an earlier print run than my 2006 collection and so the covers look different. A minor quibble I know and I'm thinking I should probably give in before the older editions become impossible to find (at a reasonable price) too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I would like to see Dominion Tank Police again as it was an old favorite when it was shown on the Sci-Fi channel, but I'd want it cheaper than I usually see it sold for.

Hither twice. Along with anything Patlabor related, Dominion is a franchise yet to benefit from the recent CPM rescue operations, so to speak. The matter of whether demand is sufficient for any action to be taken remains indeterminate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping to see a Zegapain Anime Legends box set.

Quote:
Bob was forthright, explaining that Zegapain wasn't a success and they had to scrap plans for a cheap-o brick re-release.

I would have expected this to be extra motivation for a box set. It certainly is the case for other companies. If I recall... even Bandai quickly moved to box set or scrapped the singles with either Sola or True Tears.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Now I kinda wish I had the rest of Ronin Warriors. The only legit releases I've seen are over $400, and even the bootlegs are over $300. And here I sit with just 5 DVDs. I don't know why I never completed it back when I could.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I got laughed at for buying those Ippo box sets for $70 each, all I can say to that is now who's laughing Laughing

Quick picture of my favourite OoP titles in my collection:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/p1010449y.jpg/
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly glad that I read this article, as it made me feel really glad to have two extremely rare pieces of Evangelion items: volume 9 of the manga and the End of Eva. dvd (rare to some extent I guess). I was able to find vol.9 on amazon a while back when the price for a used copy became more affordable, but I felt forking over $20 for a book with an msrp of $10 to be overpriced for a used copy, but I bought it anyway since I knew it was extremely hard to find. And I don't regret that decision at all. New/used copies are now impossible to find and the lowest price for volume 9 last I checked was around $500 on amazon, it makes me really happy to know that I have a $500 book sitting on my shelf. Smile But as for rare out of print items I am seeking, the only thing I regret is that I did not purchase the Geneon box of Gankutsuou and instead bought the Funimation version of the series.

Last edited by Nerv1 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teumessian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Had two long-running hunts: Basara v20 and Zipang DVD 7.

Basara was beyond lucky for me, since after finally finding two copies for $60 (everything else was $140+), I requested one from the seller, saying how long I'd been looking for a copy. He promptly thanked me, pulled one copy "for a friend" and raised his price to $180. In my otherwise impotent fury, I emailed Viz to find out if they were ever going to reprint it since so many people were charging such high prices, and a few weeks later a copy showed up at my house, free of charge.

Zipang 7 just took a lot of patience, eventually a copy showed up on SecondSpin for $50. My younger brother recently learned the hard way that things get more expensive as they get harder to find: I got all of the Witch Hunter Robin singles for about $120 years ago, when he had to replace DVD 4 it cost him $75.

Finally got Figure17 from TRSI's deal, though this was more of a someday,since I didn't have any of it. Just found all of Midori Days manga on ebay a few weeks back, wound up getting six or seven complete OOP series from the guy for about $500.

Still glad I got most of the Viz stuff I wanted back when it was in print, I wouldn't want to have to scour the internet for Here Is Greenwood like I did for two volumes of Please Save My Earth. I paid more for those two books than for the rest of the series.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw two Paradise Kiss boxsets at a con dealer room, going for 40 bucks each. I figured that they were grossly overpriced, like just about everything else was in that particular dealers shop.

Then I looked on Amazon/eBay and started to weep a little. At least I found a copy of Mushishi volume 6 during that eBay sweep, so some good came of it.

The only really rare OOP thing I have in my collection isn't anime, but an imported music game, Beatmania IIDX. When I got into the game about 7 years ago, of the 4 available volumes, one -- 4th style -- commanded an insane price and rarely popped up on eBay. Somewhere around the 100 USD mark, and this was when the US/Canadian exchange rate was at it's most hilarious. I eventually did buy a copy for about 130 CND... which someone in the US had to buy for me since the seller refused to ship to Canada. It was worth it all the same.

You can now find scores of copies on eBay going for a quarter of the old price.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I kick myself for not picking up CCS when Rightstuf was selling the whole shebang for $80. And while the Patlabor TV series and movies are easy enough to find, good luck with the OVAs.

As for rare stuff that we have, picture.

For Kimagure Orange Road and Hajime no Ippo, I put them in multi-disk cases to save on space. HnI is in between Tenchi Muyo and Black Lagoon. The only one I paid above MSRP for was the KOR OVA set at $85.50.

One of best deals I got has got to be V.8 of the Maison Ikkoku manga for $0.01. It came to $4 with shipping. I also have of Basara, Adolf, and Saikano, none of which I paid above MSRP for.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
I guess I'm lucky to have all four volumes of Hellsing Ultimate. So Funi's just waiting on the materials? Why didn't they just say so instead of keeping us in the dark all this time! I've been waiting four years for the continuation of this series; needless to say, I'm very impatient! Evil or Very Mad

They have said so. They say so at every single convention because somebody invariably asks about it. Same with all their other Geneon held properties, like Index.

I'll join in the hunt for Galaxy Angel Rune vol. 4. Yes, it's an awful series, but to see an incomplete series sitting on my shelves just bothers me. Also, while for the most part I have never cared about the majority of the series you listed (bleh, mecha) just knowing that they're rare and hard to find makes me want them. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to think like that, but I'm the sort that tends to want something more when I'm told it can't be had Razz

Otherwise, I was generally on the ball about picking up shows as they came out, so I don't have many gaping holes in my collection. And it does make you feel good when you know a title that people want is out of print and you have it all, like my Nanoha sets and my complete set of CCS singles.

Well, I rarely go to conventions, so I guess that's why I've never heard the news.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is where we post photos and brag about the rare stuff we have right?

True story, I swear:

A friend of mine has a two year old who loves to watch movies with daddy. He also loves to carry around his favorite movies, and with his house having literally thousands of discs kicking around, daddy no longer cares if the cases are stomped on or covered in spit or, whatever. Trouble is, something around that extra-limited Jin-Roh chipboard drew him like a moth to flame...

The following exchange is a slightly abbreviated version of the conversation said friend of mine had with his wife, when he realized she was letting their little otaku-in-training tote Jin-Roh around like a tragedy-soaked teddy bear:

"Do you know how rare that release is?"
"Come on, he likes it ! He hasn't hurt it any, so what's the big deal?"
"The big deal is IF he breaks the box or book, I'm buying a new one."
"Oh. Okay, that's fine."
"No, you don't understand. Somebody offered me $1,200 for that goddamn thing and I turned him down because I don't know IF I'd find another one."
"...wait, you did wha--"
"So yeah. Either give him Toy Story to carry or I WILL replace it."
"Twelve... hundred?! What the hell is wrong with--"

I'm pretty sure the kid hasn't gotten to it since. But hey, at least the two year old clearly has better taste than most adults I know...
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I got really lucky with Zegapain... before I ever even decided to start the show I found volume 4 used at the Suncoast I worked at! Only 10.99!
Volume 6 of Zipang runs for about 100.00 dollars on line. I scored that one also at Suncoast for like 20.00
And the Cardcaptor Sakura collections, I picked up for about fifty each on a manager discount. They took weeks to come in though, I didn't honestly think they were going to come in!
Prefectural Earth Defense Force! God I wanted that OVA, I rented it at a local comic shop. I really wanted to own it. So I desperatley hunted and I just couldn't find it. Unavailable everywhere. Just last month thatsame comic shop started selling off their dvds. I snatched up PEDF for only 15.00. I really felt like I won.
I didn't win in regards to Aura Battler Dunbine......I bought the last two discs for roughly 250.00 dollars. God I cried.
The one that is driving me up the wall right now is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vol. 4. Argh!!!!! It's so much money. *Cries*
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Bah, to everyone who's complaining about this problem with anime, it's like ten times worse with manga. I'm quite fortunate to have copies of like, everything I need at least right now (for example, all of Monster, Maison Ikkoku, Flower of Life 4, Please Save My Earth, Banana Fish, GTO), but those impossible to find volumes are all over the place. Not to mention Basara, I'd love to get that some day, but Viz, reprinting it? Ever? HA!

This might sound a little off but if you ever do decide to give Basara a shot I have an extra copy of vol 20. (the hardest to find vol.) Though it looks like nineteen has gotten pretty pricey too.....
Nemoide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Armored Trooper VOTOMS - Stage 4: God Planet Quent - the remastered 2 disc version.

MONTHS I have been looking. I've only seen it for sale twice; it's currently on Amazon for $150 used. The other time was on eBay where it sold for over $50 (and I couldn't afford that).
I heard about this show through Anime World Order and decided to check it out, since I don't know much about the "real robot" subgenre. Volumes 1-3 were easy to find for only a few dollars per volume.

I went to Connecticon this year, hoping to find a copy in the dealer's room somewhere... while I found a Cirico action figure and Kubrick set, I had no luck with the DVDs.
I'm currently watching the show at a very slow pace, with my girlfriend. If we get halfway through Stage 3 and I haven't found a copy, I'll get the original DVD release. But it has hard subs and supposedly inferior picture quality, so this kind of irks me.

I also really want to find volume 7 ADV's Macross release, but since I own the Robotech version already, I'm reluctant to pay the $250 it seems to go for online.

Finally, and a little more obviously not easy to find is episode 3 of Armitage III on Laserdisc. I found the fourth disc at a used book store for $1 and the first two were posted on eBay for less than $10 each. I saw the third selling for $40 but thought I would find another copy for less money... time has passed and it's no longer available and I don't see any copies for sale on eBay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18