• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
EVA, worst anime ever:

Not by a long shot. I completely agree that it is vastly overrated and has many many flaws. However, it also undoubtably was a ground-breaking series and has a lot of upsides as well.

Busaiku Chama wrote:
I noticed that a few of the Magical Girl series out/coming out soon are spinoffs of popular series.
There's that Sasami one (Tenchi Muyo), then there's gonna be an Illya one (Fate/Stay Night), and there's also a Kokoro one (School Days).

Can you elaborate? I really liked Fate/Stay Night and thus had been keeping an eye out for info on a sequel/spinoff/etc. I hadn't hear anything about this though. Though I'm not thrilled about the prospect of an Illya spinoff, I'd still like to know if this is happening.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someonelse out there appreciates the kind of garbage Knights of Ramune OVA is. It's a very special anime [made all the more messed up by the fact that it's a spinoff of a longrunning kids show franchise].

Though c'mon people, no Angel Cop? There's some reallly good[or not] trashy anime.
Raelanura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
I have to agree wholeheartedly about Mouse. The only good feeling I got from this series is that it reassured me once and for all that I won't like a series purely because of its fanservice... and hell, I read Eiken, so what does that tell you? Yes, I honestly think Mouse has a higher fanservice to artistic merit ratio than Eiken... the manga at least; I have to admit that the OVA was pretty poor. I'm not sure if this is because Mouse's fanservice is high, or because its artistic merit is low... perhaps it's a mixture. Either way, I just felt embarrassed watching it.

That ends my pointless input for now.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha did have a lot of fanservice that wasn't needed, but they were mostly from the older females. The transformation scenes got a little disturbing to me I'll admit. Even though I didn't love the show I still thought it had a good story that didn't rely on the Monster-of-the-week. It also had very impressive animation, which is the only real reason I kept watching it.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
First, this is absurd. Hating Evangelion is the new liking it too much. In fact, there appears to be far more Evangelion detractors today, due to its popularity, than there ever were fans of it. "Unpopular view" my ass.

Yeah, the original comment you were responding to was a bit on the absurd side, but Evangelion is a crassly overrated series. It is really more or less a run of a mill "crisis of the week" mecha series hiding behind a facade of pop religion and philosophy jibberish that suckers people into thinking there is more than what there really is. It attempts at being a social critique are better, but the characters are just too one dimensional to really make it an effective one.

Considering how Evangelion became a social phenomenon in Japan, the background of Japan's nineties and what has been written in Japan about the series, I find such gross statements, which neglect the whole context, rather silly, but you wouldn't be the only one to do it and strip an anime from it's japanese context and intended vievership.

Last edited by Swissman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Magical Girl shows are still out there; They just aren't as frequent as they were in the eighties. Some newer ones are:

Shugo Chara
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
Tokyo Mew Mew
Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode
Sugar Sugar Rune (though not the monster of the day type magical girl)
Nahona...

And that would be a decent list. Check these out, see? Magical girl isn't dead yet!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

First, this is absurd. Hating Evangelion is the new liking it too much. In fact, there appears to be far more Evangelion detractors today, due to its popularity, than there ever were fans of it. "Unpopular view" my ass.

I know it used to be but I don't think it's as much that way anymore. Sure, if you go to some hardcore Eva circle, they'll try and rip you to shreds for not bowing before the sacred cow but those are the vocal, hardcore fans that, unfortunately, most people equate to Eva fandom as a whole.

Some people try and be edgy about it and they fail at it. However, I don't think that there is really anything that disqualifies it from being considered the worst anime ever.

Zalis116 wrote:
"Really, it's been done": the question is, had it been done as of 1995 when NGE first aired? I mean, I know some elements were supposedly taken from Gunbuster and Ideon, but was there really a huge amount of "teenager-angst-mecha-philosophy-religion" anime prior to NGE's debut?

I think Evangelion is an example of what Zac was talking about how anime tends to transcend genres and in the end become a hodge-podge of sorts. Had a series like Evangelion been done before? Probably not combining all of those elements but you're right - bits and pieces of other series were taken and later implemented in Evangelion.

For the article overall, I enjoyed it; even more than some of the more recent articles. It was nice to see a "back-to-basics" column.

RE: Mahou Shoujo - I kinda of agree with Zac. Sailormoon was a series I was interested in because it was on TV, I was still new to anime, and there wasn't much else competing for my attention. However, I actually hunted for Card Captor Sakura fansubs when I kept heard how good it was. I guess I should have prefaced this with "I'm not a magical girl fan - at all". Card Captor Sakura was very enjoyable for me and I was able to keep up with it more than I was some of its other contemporaries - Ojamajou Doremi, PreCure, and Princess Tutu that I can remember off hand.

I don't think that Zac necessarily intended that CCS was "teh best evAr", either; if he did, I wouldn't agree with him. Another CCS will come along. The thing with the magical girl genre is that it seems to have a very up and down history both of quality and availability. First dating back to the late sixties, there were only a handful of MG shows through the next decade but it wasn't until the early 80s that the genre really took off with series like Hana no ko Lun Lun, Candy Candy, Minki Momo and Creamy Mami and a whole slew of others. Arguably the most popular and recognizable, Minki Momo and Creamy Mami apexed near the middle of the decade until a revival with Sailormoon, which lead to CCS and Akazukin Chacha.

RE: originality - I definately agree with the "honeymoon phase" philosophy.

I also love the pink Glocks for the logo. I'm sure my girlfriend would like one.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Card Captor Sakura as the classical magical girl shows' "last hurrah" I would agree with. CCS could be considered to be the bridge between the old school, and the magical girls-as-moe we find today, since from what I know, it gained a substantial fanbase outside of its intended demographic, thereby suggesting that there is a greater demand for magical girls among otaku. Sakura's popularity in Saimoe only seems to underscore this.

Actually, way back in the eighties the magical girls show from Studio Pierrot such as Creamy Mami or Pastel Yumi were really the first ones to have gained a big adult men fanbase outside of the intended girl demographic. The producers realized this and gave the fans acurious OAV with.... tentacle action and sun tan advertisement. Later in the late eighties & early nineties, the Pierrot Majokko shows were among the first one's to have been released as complete LD boxsets (a concept introduced by Kitty Media with the expensive Urusei Yatsura complete TV LD-boxset) and even today they're still one of the most expensive complete dvd box releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
I highly recommend Pretear and Princess Tutu to anyone looking for some good magical girl anime. Also, check out Alice 19th, a manga series by Yu Watase. The art and storyline are excellent.

While I wouldn't say Eva is the worst anime I've ever seen, I've never been a fan. I enjoyed Rahxepheon a lot more.
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week's topic was spurned by a letter I got.

Are you sure it wasn't spurred? Spurning tends to make me think of romance dramas and heaving bosoms. Wink
Thewalkindude368

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Worst anime ever? I'd have to go with Apocalypse Zero. It's a non-hentai OAV from the "Legend of the Overfiend" school of design. The only episode that I saw featured an old guy who fought with his grotesquely oversized wang that spat out sticky white stuff that was identified as "Saliva". Not foolin' anybody there.

Night Shift Nurses also sounds pretty bad. Never saw it, but I saw a screen cap that made it look scat-tacular.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
To the person who despised the dub of s-CRY-ed, I'm not quite sure you have a soul, drastic or not. Of course the series was a horribly generic mash of random fighting, fr00ty rainbow powers, and loud yelling of Engrish attack names. And Bang Zoom! had to fully realize this from the beginning. The job they did on the dub transformed it from something incredibly mediocre into one long, hilarious innuendo-fest. Tell me you can listen to a character with a massively phallic gun called "Big Magnum" say "It's big, it's hard, and it's coming to get ya!", or the dialogue of the infamous balls scene, and keep a straight face. And Crispin Freeman's performance as Straight Cougar might just be one of the greatest dubbing jobs in history. So yeah, if there's any series you could accuse of being ruined by its dub, sCe is probably the last.
top gun u get a hug
scryed is my favorite show ever mainly cause of Kazuma's speech in episode 4 it moved me it really did
although i admit the second half of the series wasn't as great as the first 13 episodes with the exception of the ending which is probably the most satisfying ending i have ever seen and the manga added to the anime in a way u dont usually see cough cough like who's fist was raised up at the end, cough

also the bunnies are ridiculously cute
Kaelis Ra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
I watched Evangelion on impulse having dug it out of a relative's DVD cabinet years ago, long before I would have called myself an "anime fan". I had no clue about its relative popularity, or any ideas as to what people thought of it. I just watched it, and I enjoyed it.

Most works, anime or not, don't try and portray "realistic" characters, or even "believeable" characters, but rather, characters that people can understand, relate to or appreciate on some level. We meet realistic characters every day. What we are entertained by are caricatures prominently featuring traits we are familiar with and can understand or relate to.

Evangelion struck me when I first watched it like this: as an exploration of the many way in which people become broken. Most people agree the show was never about the mecha or the fighting; that was just a hook. What the show was about (to my mind) was the steady destruction of the (often meagre) stability that the lives of each character had taken on, and how they reacted to it.

Okay, so since I hijacked this into an EVA post, I will say that, having formed my opinions about NGE long before coming into contact with anything like anime fandom, and then suddenly being exposed to the ridiculous posing and taking sides of what is good and what isn't, and witnessing things going from being viewed as cool to uncool, simply because it was popular at one point, I decided that noone should waste time caring about whether anyone else thinks an anime is good or not. No reason to try and prove the point of "Oh but you are clearly TEH RONGZ about series x being bad".

To like or hate a show based on your own reaction to it should be enough, and there shouldn't be this hankering to evangelize those views. I'd say most anime fans probably have a "guilty pleasure" show or two that they know full well is pretty poor in most aspects, but they still watch it for no other reason than that they enjoy it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

[grammar nazi]

That is a really hard sentence to make out...

[/grammar nazi]

That was the point.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hated the first season of Nanoha. It may be about magically-powered 11 year-olds, but it reminded most of a humorless muscle-bound shonen series in its first major conflict.

spoiler[Fate won't give Nanoha the time of day until Nanoha shoots her in the face with a magical laser, whereupon she becomes gay for her instantly. DEFEATING YOU WILL BE AN ACT OF FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!]

Princess Tutu is the best magical girl show ever partly because it is neither a little girl's toy commerical nor otaku whack material. The mid-season climax impressed me to no end...a bitter, hard-fought battle with zero violence! The whole connection to ballet was pretty inventive, too.

Ojamajo Doremi is for little girls, and does try to sell toys, but not very hard. It's awesome because of the emotional authenticity...from a child's perspective. The episodes only make sense if keep in mind that the characters are young children with the corresponding needs and concerns (the dependance on parental love in a common theme). If you can see it like that it's great. The Naisho OVA is one of the few animes I've watched recently that actually wow'd me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10