• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2007-12-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Not bad for a first attempt but I second the opinion that the presenters need to work on the speed of their delivery and on their diction. The female presenter, in particular, sounded pretty nervous and it sometimes made it hard to hear what she was saying. I also agree that the background was a tad busy and distracting.

The opening ad was rather too brash and bombastic for my tastes but then I suppose I'm hardly one of the American teenagers it was aimed at and it didn't last too long so it's not a big deal.

For the moment, I'd much rather read the news than see it in this format - apart from anything, it's easier to pick and choose what's interesting to me and avoid what isn't - but I'll definately be interested to see how this evolves.
I'm hoping it will end up covering what the text-based news doesn't (or else go into more depth on particular subjects) rather than just being a duplication of what we already have and are happy with.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
It shouldn't take too long to set up the podcast. Given the existing services it could take only a few minutes. Of course they may want to set up their own servers and manually create the feed which could take a little more time.

They could use a desk; they look akward standing around. They would also be better picking a few articles and covering them in more detail rather than just reading off headlines. And if they are serious enough about it, they need to do a little investigative journalism. For instance, did they contact the owner of the maid cafe and get his story? That's what's going to interest viewers.
frodonk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
nice!!

although the girl really looked and sounded nervous, but that might be because its the first time. (and the hands-behind-the-back posture also didn't help at all, it did look like they were intentionally hiding it because they were shaking or something)

i also want to have an answerman portion for this too! i'm curious on what it will look like if it is on a video format!
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
That was pretty neat. A good first showing. Looking forward to the convention coverage.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Yukie Chan wrote:
Is it true that Mario Bueno's eyebrows are actually computer generated?

LOL & Then Some! Laughing I realize this is a pilot episode & that you're warming up for coverage of the New York Anime Festival. Thanks for full disclosure by saying ANN is a sponsor; this conservative geezer is tired of "mainstream" media promoting agendas without revealing any connections "unbiased" parties have. Case in point: The CNN/YouTube Republican debate debacle.
Enough politics. I don't need to provide criticism since there is enough of the constructive kind here & I would just be repeating anybody else. As for future content, a podcast would be useful, but I usually don't download & listen as they can take a lot of time. Go ahead & do podcasts, but 10-15 minute videos work better for me.
I would be interested in seeing video reports from some of your columnists. At the top of my list are Zac Bertschy (Hey, Answerman!) & Bamboo Dong (Shelf Life). I'm sure Justin would grace us with some Buried Treasure & a little Buried Garbage. It might be interesting for Carlo Santos to put together a manga report. Other people have a good point: Recapping headlines is OK for a pilot episode or the first couple of shows, but you are very through with all of your content. That includes news, columns, reviews, editorials & your Encyclopedia. I'd like to see video content that isn't a complete rehash or copy of your excellent website.
That being said, it would be interesting to have Brian Hanson do a video version of The Click just once. If he's as funny & crazy on video as he seems in print, I'll be ROTFLMAO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem with getting the other staff into the video is that they're located in Orange County, Arizona, San Diego, etc....

Our studio and equipment is all in New York City.

You'll see some of the other staff pop-in for the convention coverage, but the weekly items will be mostly, if not exclusively, Mario and Ely.

Please keep the feedback coming, some of you are noticing or commenting on things that we hadn't realized were an issue ourselves.

-t
xembryox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
This was really nice. Considering this is their very first attempt to create a show about anime, it came out quite well. Of course a few details here and there have to be pulished , but still I believe this was a very good start. Cool

Let's see how they cover NYAF.

btw, answerman MUST appear someday at the show Very Happy
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
I assume there were quite a number of takes involved? Noticed a few skips in the video.

A few things that needs to be improved on, as stated by the other posters includes the wardrobe, the spinning background and the presentations. Ellie and Mario both seem nervous. Get them to talk to us instead of just reading the news from a prompter. Relax and slow down on the delivery just a tad.

Other than that, good effort.
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
It was alright, there were just some things I didn't get. One of them was the distracting background, which I spent more time looking at than the actual presenters. Another was why the green screen was being shown before and after the breaks.

I also had no idea what the opening sequence was about, why were the terms numbered/ranked and the order they came up in seemed a bit random at that (USA, then Shoujo?).

It was also clear that the presenters were reading off something and seemed really stiff and formal, which didn't match the music used or their attire. I'm also not sure sure what you were actually going for in the show, whether its supposed to presented formally like actual news or more informally like leisure/entertainment news.

As for the content it was good, but I'd like to see other things use this more such as anime reviews, interviews or the shelf life articles.

one question i'd like to ask is if there'd be anymore 'It sucks to be noob' jokes. That was the best part to me.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
everybody_loves_hypnotoad wrote:
It was alright, there were just some things I didn't get. One of them was the distracting background, which I spent more time looking at than the actual presenters. Another was why the green screen was being shown before and after the breaks.

I also had no idea what the opening sequence was about, why were the terms numbered/ranked and the order they came up in seemed a bit random at that (USA, then Shoujo?).

one question i'd like to ask is if there'd be anymore 'It sucks to be noob' jokes. That was the best part to me.

IMHO, showing the green screen was a goof; they were trying to show the hosts from a different angle than straight on, & forgot that the green screen would be in the shot. It could have been a "Behind the scenes" thing, but people treat the green screen like the secret of The Wizard of Oz. Sometimes, we don't want to pay attention to "the man behind the curtain". The rotating graphics were distracting; if you just had the ANN logo static or make the graphics less busy, it might make it more professional. If you're going to use a dark background, ensure the hosts wear lighter clothing that stands out & doesn't blend in.
The opening sequence was to show what ANN covers, but the numbers weren't needed. Just listing the categories should have been enough.
As for the "It sucks to be noob" ad, I thought that was the beginning of the show. Maybe that should have been in the middle instead of the Protoculture Addicts ad. BTW, the PA ad needed sound, activity or something to keep it from being cold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jonasan
ANN Video Director & Producer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That was one of a series of three that we first revealed at AX at the Dealer's Room. So there are two more that you can look forward too, and hopefully they will give you a laugh as well....or at least a chuckle Very Happy

I appreciate all the constructive criticism from everyone, including from Mohawk52. Like video coverage at the cons for the past year, we do plan on evolving this as fast as we can. This really is just the beginning.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Jonasan wrote:
Quote:

That was one of a series of three that we first revealed at AX at the Dealer's Room. So there are two more that you can look forward too, and hopefully they will give you a laugh as well....or at least a chuckle Very Happy

Please don't...Yes it was short but it was really annoying.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Jonasan wrote:
Quote:

Please don't...Yes it was short but it was really annoying.

Yes, please. If you're going to put them on, maybe do people a favor and put them at the end? That way we can just click stop and be done with the whole thing without being subjected to something so loud and juvenile? I always liked the rather professional feel of this site...and at least that clip killed that particular feeling for me for the time being.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's a idea for the future: Take the Anime News Nina strips & Flash animate them into a short cartoon! I know it may be difficult since comics/manga & toons/anime are different media. However, I have faith in you guys. Not to mention that the producer of ANN TV is related to the comic artist... Wink
Maybe for a test run, you could animate the 1st strip, where we're introduced to Nina & Kevin. Also, have Mario or Ellie introduce "the newest member of our staff" & transfer to "another studio". Laughing Wink
If it's too much work, I understand, but it could work on a future ANN TV video or on a podcast.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It was good. I don't generally like reading much, but I do read the news here. I helps though. Keep up the good work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6