• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Dub Cast, Streams Trailer for B Gata H Kei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Yeah, not really feeling her or Chika's VAs (though Chika had one line). In general, I find teenage girls/lolis the hardest to play in a dub, and ones I usually dislike the most. Adult women like Riza Hawkeye and Lust are good, but it sounds really forced to hear adult women acting like little girls a lot of the time. I think it's just something Japan is much better at.

So adult Japanese women sucking up some helium to play teenage girls/lolis doesn't creep you out or sound forced? I know Japanese voice acting is more acclaimed to Americans, but to many Japanese ears, many of these Japanese voices sound just as unnatural as American voice actresses doing younger girls. You know that very few REAL Japanese TEENAGE GIRLs sound like the anime girls we see in all these shows.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know that very few REAL Japanese TEENAGE GIRLs sound like the anime girls we see in all these shows.

There a difference between sounding like a real teen girl and putting on a performance that not only sounds good but also captures the feel of being a teen. Anime performance fall into the latter. The performances don't sound like REAL teens but do sound good and reflect the enough nuances present in teen-like speech to sound like an animated teen. Tara Strong can put out a good performance and sound like a cartoon teen, most of the females in Funi's stable cannot.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
You know that very few REAL Japanese TEENAGE GIRLs sound like the anime girls we see in all these shows.

There a difference between sounding like a real teen girl and putting on a performance that not only sounds good but also captures the feel of being a teen. Anime performance fall into the latter. The performances don't sound like REAL teens but do sound good and reflect the enough nuances present in teen-like speech to sound like an animated teen. Tara Strong can put out a good performance and sound like a cartoon teen, most of the females in Funi's stable cannot.

First of all, I was speaking purely in aural terms. Most people by and large do not have high voices, even at a young age. As for nuances and "teen-like" speech, that's a harder curve to grade since every teen is different and each person has different speech patterns. Some are very articulate, some are not, some really do fall into valley girl mannerisms, some do not.

Of all the people I've known in real life, I have run into a few that do sound like some of the females in Funi's dub stable. Sometimes they hit duff notes, but so do Japanese voice actresses. Heck, I've screened some anime shows in front of teens and they've been able to pick out when a Japanese voice actor was trying a WEE BIT too hard to be "cute" and "loli" at the sacrifice of believability. And I don't think anyone here can disagree with the theory that many Japanese anime studios very likely encourage their actresses to "cute it up" for the sake of marketability over realism.

Here's the thing--Funi has actually hired voice actresses barely out of high school in the past. Certainly many of them did start very young, and there are a few here and there who ARE kids. And I've heard fans complain that these actors don't sound like teens or kids when in fact they ARE kids. I can see complaining about their emoting/range/etc., but sometimes I think fans are so used to hearing anime voices in Japanese that they actually forget what real kids actually sound like.

I'd also like to add, that Funi tend to have a pretty good idea of who's a better actress at doing kids than others. Mostly Luci Christian always hits the right notes, so that's why they lean on her so much. And as for this Brittney K, I've heard her quite a bit lately and she seems to strike a delicate balance between non-stereotypical and stereotypical. She has this way of speaking that sounds like a popular and slightly valley-ish teenage girl trying to act smarter than she really is...and that's actually perfect for a lot of roles she does.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Yeah, not really feeling her or Chika's VAs (though Chika had one line). In general, I find teenage girls/lolis the hardest to play in a dub, and ones I usually dislike the most. Adult women like Riza Hawkeye and Lust are good, but it sounds really forced to hear adult women acting like little girls a lot of the time. I think it's just something Japan is much better at.

I wouldn't call it forced. I like some of Funimation's female voice actors who play teens. Laura Bailey is one, Cheremi Leigh is another, and Luci Christian. What I really have a problem with is the fact that I don't think Karbowski is a good match for Yamada. From what I've heard in the trailer, she doesn't come off nearly as affective or entertaining as the Japanese VA. But at the same time I freely admit that I wouldn't have known who to cast in the dub for this anime. In fact, I'm extremely surprised that it is getting a dub.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
There a difference between sounding like a real teen girl and putting on a performance that not only sounds good but also captures the feel of being a teen. Anime performance fall into the latter. The performances don't sound like REAL teens but do sound good and reflect the enough nuances present in teen-like speech to sound like an animated teen.

Do teenagers even talk anymore? I thought they all communicated via texting. Wink Seriously, adult women are fully capable of sounding extremely like teenage girls. And as stated above, its a performance, so its not going to be exact.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First of all, I was speaking purely in aural terms. Most people by and large do not have high voices, even at a young age. As for nuances and "teen-like" speech, that's a harder curve to grade since every teen is different and each person has different speech patterns. Some are very articulate, some are not, some really do fall into valley girl mannerisms, some do not.

Aural terms? You said Japanese actresses need to inhale helium in order to sound like Japanese teens. They do not need to do so because sounding like a teen is not limited to the pitch of their voice, if that is the mentality of dubbers then no wonder their attempts to sound like teen fails so hard to my ears. Oh yeah every sound different that is why we are discussing this as "sounding like a teen" rather than "sounding exactly like a specific person in their teens."

Quote:
And I don't think anyone here can disagree with the theory that many Japanese anime studios very likely encourage their actresses to "cute it up" for the sake of marketability over realism.

This is part of the inherent difference between doing an acceptable teen performance versus being a REAL teen. When I turn on the TV I don't expect to hear performances that sound like REAL people in most of my shows, what I want is a good performances that sounds believable enough for whatever show it is.

Quote:
Here's the thing--Funi has actually hired voice actresses barely out of high school in the past. Certainly many of them did start very young, and there are a few here and there who ARE kids. And I've heard fans complain that these actors don't sound like teens or kids when in fact they ARE kids. I can see complaining about their emoting/range/etc., but sometimes I think fans are so used to hearing anime voices in Japanese that they actually forget what real kids actually sound like.

Well I'm complaining and the example I used to base my complaint from was Tara Strong. The last time I checked she is not a Japanese voice that I've gotten used to hearing in some. I'm sure you could bring up tons of random, oddball examples to the absurd but it is possible to not like this performance in and of itself without being tied to the Japanese voices.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Aural terms? You said Japanese actresses need to inhale helium in order to sound like Japanese teens. They do not need to do so because sounding like a teen is not limited to the pitch of their voice, if that is the mentality of dubbers then no wonder their attempts to sound like teen fails so hard to my ears. Oh yeah every sound different that is why we are discussing this as "sounding like a teen" rather than "sounding exactly like a specific person in their teens."

Sound and speech patterns are different things, your reply to me talked more about speech patterns, while I was criticizing sound pitch of voice, etc,. and how "believeable" they are. There are too many Japanese voice actresses who "cute it up" by sounding like they've sucked on helium for an hour, which is a very un-natural sounding sound for a teenager.

Good, believable voices should not be limited to 1 or 2 types of voice pitches. Yes, there ARE some people with high voices, but when a show has 3/4 of the girls who sound like the chipmunks, that is bad voice direction, something that I feel happens in more anime than people are willing to admit.

Quote:
This is part of the inherent difference between doing an acceptable teen performance versus being a REAL teen. When I turn on the TV I don't expect to hear performances that sound like REAL people in most of my shows, what I want is a good performances that sounds believable enough for whatever show it is.

Fair enough! But I think you would agree that variety would help. Anime DOESN'T have to have "cute" voices for every young female character in a cast. One of my main complaints is that this happens far too often in anime. And lest you think I'm criticizing only Japan, many American dubbing companies fall prey to this too, by trying to adhere too closely to the "cute is everything" mentality of Japan.

Quote:
Well I'm complaining and the example I used to base my complaint from was Tara Strong. The last time I checked she is not a Japanese voice that I've gotten used to hearing in some. I'm sure you could bring up tons of random, oddball examples to the absurd but it is possible to not like this performance in and of itself without being tied to the Japanese voices.

If you read my first post in this thread again, you will see I wasn't complaining about people not liking Brittney K in comparison to the Japanese voices in this show we're discussing. I mean, you must have responded to my post for a reason, right? Because I wasn't even directing my original post at you. Now, maybe you guys are right, maybe Brittney is a poor fit--I'd have to see it all first. But I was commenting specifically on the opinion, QUOTED in my original post, that "Japanese actors are better at doing kids than Americans" and I just don't think that's empirically true. And I would somewhat disagree with the opinion that Funi has no "good" teen voices. They have good ones, but somewhat limited in number. There's really nothing absurd or random about what I've posted, everything I've written so far is consistent with my very first post in this thread. (Unless I'm misreading you, then I apologize in advance for sounding a little defensive here.)

Anyway, Botan is right, teenagers don't even talk anymore, so pretty soon all our standards for what makes a "good" teenage voice will fly out the window. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Doesn't matter what we think, 'cus it'll make money, even though IRL, a girl like that probably has herpes. Rolling Eyes

You spit in her coffee or something?

Exactly. Even though I don't yet know what to make of this show (haven't seen any of it yet. C'mon, people. Don't prejudge), I have to admit it's a refreshing role reversal and, as the review said, sounds like it could be a fun teen-sex comedy, which isn't a bad thing.

I find it rather bizarre that there exists a double standard about sexual experience between genders. If a guy has had lots of partners, he's amazing, but if a girl does? She's obviously a disease-carrying whore. Seriously? That's just stupid.

Anyhoo, I'm a huge fan of Greg Ayres and most of the other cast listed, so I'll definitely be checking this out. Might even turn out to be a big fan in the end, who's to say?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I find it rather bizarre that there exists a double standard about sexual experience between genders. If a guy has had lots of partners, he's amazing, but if a girl does? She's obviously a disease-carrying whore. Seriously? That's just stupid.

Apparently GATSU would appreciate a mot I saw over in the /AMP/ topic in the forum at Crunchyroll that used an image from this series, along with the phrase, "If a key can open many locks, it's a Master Key... but if a lock is opened by many keys, it's a crap lock". (Actually, it used a different adjective for the lock, but that's close enough).

I was going to point out that it would be quite unlikely for a girl like Yamada who is in fact sexually inexperienced to have any STD, but thought it better to wait and see if anyone else responded.

I remember a topic in the CR forums along the lines of "Who is the biggest whore/slut in anime" where every other answer was a character who was very likely a virgin. I suspect many of those same people are the ones that brand your typical harem lead as a wuss for not taking advantage of every sexualized situation they find themselves in.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Just a note: Kristi Bingham is Kristi Kang and that is now the name she is using for credits.

Also Emerick Jade is Megan Miller.

Based on her official imdb profile & resume

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3710832/resume

Looks like the ANN encylopedia editors have some profiles to merge
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sound and speech patterns are different things, your reply to me talked more about speech patterns, while I was criticizing sound pitch of voice, etc,. and how "believeable" they are. There are too many Japanese voice actresses who "cute it up" by sounding like they've sucked on helium for an hour, which is a very un-natural sounding sound for a teenager.

I don't know what you mean by "too many" and the "sounding like they've sucked on helium for an hour" is pure hyperbole. What I replied with was the who I think does a good job at teen performances and why such performances work even though they don't sound like a specific real teen. I REAL American TEENAGE GIRLS don't sound like any of the teen characters in cartoons either so I don't think that saying "very few REAL Japanese TEENAGE GIRLs sound like the anime girls we see in all these shows." means anything special just because you're talking about anime.

Quote:
Good, believable voices should not be limited to 1 or 2 types of voice pitches. Yes, there ARE some people with high voices, but when a show has 3/4 of the girls who sound like the chipmunks, that is bad voice direction, something that I feel happens in more anime than people are willing to admit.

And yet that is how female seiyuu perform teenage roles and it's is considered to be a "good" characterization of how Japanese teenagers sound.

Quote:
Fair enough! But I think you would agree that variety would help. Anime DOESN'T have to have "cute" voices for every young female character in a cast. One of my main complaints is that this happens far too often in anime. And lest you think I'm criticizing only Japan, many American dubbing companies fall prey to this too, by trying to adhere too closely to the "cute is everything" mentality of Japan.

Having a cute voice or more is part of anime just as much as Western shows need at least one broody, cynical Hawkeye type character in almost every show. If having a cute character voice is that much of an irritant then it is time for you to find another avenue of story-telling medium because anime is well set in it's ways.

Quote:
But I was commenting specifically on the opinion, QUOTED in my original post, that "Japanese actors are better at doing kids than Americans" and I just don't think that's empirically true.

It still stands that Japanese seiyuu are better suited at performing as "lolis", chibis, and other cute character-type specific to anime than foreign dubbers that struggle at finding the right way to interpret the cuteness of a character. On the other hand American actresses do better with valley girls, southern belles, and empowered characters. A perfect example would be Storm in the X-men has a very bad Japanese performance but if the English dub provides a more empowered and wise voice then that would be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3