• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eyeshield 21 to Stream on Toonami Jetstream Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Viz has nothing to do with the dub for this. The dub was done by Eyeshield 21 Project, which consisted of NAS, TV Tokyo, and some other company I forgot the name of. Viz's name is not in the credits.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, you guys are dashing my hopes for this! Crying or Very sad Well I don't know, usually when a popular series like this gets dubbed you get all kinds of haters. I'll just wait and see for myself before I make a final decision.

There's probably not much I'll be bothered by, seing as how there never usually is. Of the 3 episodes I actually did see, The OP and ED were pretty "meh" to me anyways, so that probably won't bother me. I'll probably be a lot more ....ed about the musical score though, I never like it when ANY anime gets screwed over that way! Evil or Very Mad But if the acting is okay, which I probably will think that since I'm not so picky about it Razz and if they don't start cutting actual story elements out of it, I'm sure I'll be just fine.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm gonna be the lone dissenter and say that Japanese opening music totally blows, and Viz was smart to change it to something catchy. I hate record companies which dump crappy songs onto good shows. The dub sounds like what I'd expect an American football series to sound like, and that's what's important to me. Yeah, it's based in Japan, but it's a Japan which incorporates a uniquely American sport, so it's all good. Anyway, I'm just wondering how it'll do here, since American kids prefer to shoot jocks rather than to play sports with them. Rolling Eyes

Since I'm a dub fan, I have No Clue about the original voice work. There are enough good VA's in America that help to create good anime dubs. GATSU is right; it is a dub, but it's a dub of an anime interpretation of an American sport! IMO, there's a lot of explanation of a game that is needed in Japan, but with Pop Warner football & 13-16 games a week on American TV & radio, it's possibly boring to Americans.
Possibly... as Eyeshield 21 is a tutorial of American football to the Japanese, it could also be an anime tutorial to NFL fans!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
1stAgent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Aw man, you guys are dashing my hopes for this! Crying or Very sad Well I don't know, usually when a popular series like this gets dubbed you get all kinds of haters. I'll just wait and see for myself before I make a final decision.

No, it's bad. I watched the first 2.5 episodes just now and while it's not One Piece... actually, no, it might just be down there with the original One Piece dub. Thankfully I remember Cardcaptors and have an immunity to stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I've made a few posts on various forums defending the intent of the original One Piece and must now do the same here with my beloved Eyeshield lest I be labeled a hypocrite. And I will.

Just, uh, give me a sec here...

Um...

Got it!

The dub reminds me of why I found the series so unlicensable to begin with. I've stated that it would almost have to be aimed towards a much younger audience that might not be familiar with football yet aren't completely irritated with its ubiquity here. Hiruma made this difficult. When NFL Rush got involved, we should have known that this was indeed the route they were taking (has anyone seen NFL Rush? That site's made for ten-year-olds). Their only mistake was putting it on Jetstream, because this thing will get *no* support from anime fans. It's NFL Rush, children's TV or bust.

I'm disappointed to be sure, but not angry. I understand what they tried to do. And besides, the original episode two is fifty percent filler anyway and with 130+ episodes I suppose a few cut corners will happen. I don't blame the cast for the iffy acting- these are mostly top tier VAs, so any problems should rest with the direction. Personally, I was hoping Hiruma would be more Digimon Emperor than Beelzemon. Smile

Once the shock wears off, I'll give it a few more episodes. Even watered down (and the original anime is watered down from the manga as it is), there's still potential once more characters are introduced and things start rolling. But it's not an encouraging start to those of us who love the series and are trying to spread the love.

The real good news? Anytime someone complains about the Naruto dub... we now know where to send them. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
The dub to me was ok, it's something I'll have to get used to, but the thing I hate the most was that dumb theme song. I hope they pull a naruto and return the original Opening or/and Ending themes wth subtitles.
ClichedUsername

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Fiesta alert.

spoiler[In the 2nd part of the video, fast forward to the point in which 00:58 is left before shifting to part three. Kuroki's bat is nowhere to be found.]

I was kind of disappointed, but the dub should satisfy whoever liked the MAR dub, at least. It seemed as they transplanted the entire team into this show.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:
No, it's bad. I watched the first 2.5 episodes just now and while it's not One Piece... actually, no, it might just be down there with the original One Piece dub. Thankfully I remember Cardcaptors and have an immunity to stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I've made a few posts on various forums defending the intent of the original One Piece and must now do the same here with my beloved Eyeshield lest I be labeled a hypocrite. And I will.

Just, uh, give me a sec here...

Um...

Got it!

The dub reminds me of why I found the series so unlicensable to begin with. I've stated that it would almost have to be aimed towards a much younger audience that might not be familiar with football yet aren't completely irritated with its ubiquity here. Hiruma made this difficult. When NFL Rush got involved, we should have known that this was indeed the route they were taking (has anyone seen NFL Rush? That site's made for ten-year-olds). Their only mistake was putting it on Jetstream, because this thing will get *no* support from anime fans. It's NFL Rush, children's TV or bust.

I'm disappointed to be sure, but not angry. I understand what they tried to do. And besides, the original episode two is fifty percent filler anyway and with 130+ episodes I suppose a few cut corners will happen. I don't blame the cast for the iffy acting- these are mostly top tier VAs, so any problems should rest with the direction. Personally, I was hoping Hiruma would be more Digimon Emperor than Beelzemon. Smile

Once the shock wears off, I'll give it a few more episodes. Even watered down (and the original anime is watered down from the manga as it is), there's still potential once more characters are introduced and things start rolling. But it's not an encouraging start to those of us who love the series and are trying to spread the love.

The real good news? Anytime someone complains about the Naruto dub... we now know where to send them. Very Happy

Yeah, just watched it. Looks like I was HORRIBLY wrong about this dub! Shocked A few things I expected, since you all were mentioning them, but man, 3 episodes spliced into 1!? And they really rushed through a heck of a lot of important points!

The acting I didn't really think was all that bad though. Or at least not in comparison to what some of you have said about it. I'm just pissed that they pulled a 4kids on us. I mean, Viz has done some pretty bad stuff in the past, yeah, but I never thought in a million years they'd sink this low, especially after giving us such great dubs in Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, and Hikaru no Go.

Well, at least we know they want to give us a good dub anyways, unlike 4kids. I guess it just depends on whether or not they can. And I definitely could see all sorts of reasons for why they couldn't handle things better. I think I'll at least try and give this dub more of a shot anyways. It's just saddening that the only way I have of getting into the rest of this series past episode 3 or volume 3 (manga) at all has to be such a hackjob! Anime cry

Quote:
I was kind of disappointed, but the dub should satisfy whoever liked the MAR dub, at least. It seemed as they transplanted the entire team into this show.

I saw the MAR dub and thought it was okay. Although I guess that's because I've only seen the dub version of that series in the first place, huh? Wink
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
It really is quite bad. I mean they rushed though a ton a good parts like how Hiruma and Kurita first start recruiting Sena and others to the club. However my biggest problem is they cut the Blackmail Book
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3