• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
the sad part of is Psycho Diver was actually a decent anime...

this really needs some Sandy Fox, that woman can't sing to save her life.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

For the best examples of dubbed insert songs in recent releases, I can't think of anything that surpasses Nerima Daikon Brothers and Beck. It's staggering to hear the Ayres brothers talk at conventions about all the recording, rewriting, and remixing processes that went into making those songs as high-quality as possible, under all the time, content, flap, and legal limitations they were under.

Yeah, Nerima Daikon in particular really impressed me-- if those song rewrites and performances weren't as good as they were, the show would've REALLY fallen flat, but it's very entertaining in English.

v1cious wrote:

this really needs some Sandy Fox, that woman can't sing to save her life.

Oh, she can carry a tune just fine. Problem is, she's got a helium voice and tries very hard to emulate the Japanese singer exactly, which DOES. NOT. WORK, particularly when you're dealing with helium voices. I think Fox's version of the Rayearth theme is tolerable (though not as good as the Working Designs one, bizarrely), while her Kenshin OP (the Judy & Mary one) is just horrific. I actually like her rendition of the Rayearth ED quite a bit.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Justin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I feel like I just watched American Idol.

I guessing the part BEFORE they weed out the losers, wierdos and flakes.
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
what about Kenshins? Heh.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrptxRZSTdE
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness I watched the OAV's of Ranma 1/2 in Japanese instead of English.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
what about Kenshins? Heh.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrptxRZSTdE

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, the English version is done by the original Japanese artist, Judy and Mary. Even so, I actually really like the dubbed version of Freckles.

Actually, I love dubbed music, bad or good. The Japanese songs are better 99% of the time of course, but there really is something about hearing the songs in English. And if its really horrible, oh well, you change the language track back to Japanese. (At least, anime these days has that convinience Smile )
I was so disappointed Funimation didn't dub the School Rumble opening and ending. Sad

On the other had, Everyone talking about bad Funimation dubs is making me think... Peach Girl. The ending was done well, but the opening... *shudder*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while her Kenshin OP (the Judy & Mary one) is just horrific.

I'd just like to point out, for the record, that I found both the English and Japanese version both incredibly grating. ;p From the loud, clashing guitar at the beginning to the ear-bleeding warbling at the end.

Also, anyone who thinks that the English God Knows sounds bad need to have their ears check. Certainly Wendee Lee isn't a pop singer but she certainly did a damn fine job in her own right. It's obviously not as good as the original, but I just can't understand the amount of ire it has generated.

Ruining the song? Really? Really?
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
Now I want a copy of those songs for the sole purpose of annoying my neighbors with them. Laughing
leatherman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
First thing that popped into my mind was I'd rather watch Minmay sing the same four songs every bloody episode of Robotech than sit through the full versions of those songs.

As for Beck, I love watching the show in japanese, and making fun of the fact that the two "English Speaking" main characters can't speak English, and the american characters that show up can't speak english that well either. I'm sure an american trying to speak japanese on american tv comes across the same way to the japanese though, or even better, the chinese spoken by the cast of Firefly. That probably didn't make a hell of a lot of sense either.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Its is true that the dubbed songs feature in this article was horrible beyond belief. But the constant complaining about how horrible english dubbed themes are has pretty much made them extinct. If you are going to bother making a english dub why not make the whole thing english? Its only take two minutes to dub the OP and ED on average. All they have to do is find someone who can actually sing.
leatherman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
All they have to do is find someone who can actually sing.

Have you seen the beginning episodes to american idol? Finding someone who can sing isn't that easy.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
leatherman wrote:

Have you seen the beginning episodes to american idol? Finding someone who can sing isn't that easy.

I am not talking about hopeless wantabees who there to make a fool out of their self. I talking about professional singers. And do they got technology out on the market who can make horrible singers actually good? Trust me if this technology didn't exist Britney Spears career wouldn't have last as long.
zillion29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
OMG - I'd completely forgotten the cheese factor of the English version of Mr. Dandy from BGC. The thing that boggles my mind is that they spent SOOOOOO much time and effort dubbing all of the music for basically a negative result. For so long they were so deathly afraid that people might realize that these were originally Japanese. If they'd just given the viewership more credit from the outset we would have been spared all these horrors! Smile
The worst part about the Bubblegum Crisis reworked songs were that they removed all the kickass guitar solos and replaced everything with synthesizers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
.... Legend of BlackHeaven intro(their only song really.)

You mean the outro, right? John Sykes' "Cautionary Warning" wasn't dubbed, as it is in English.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of dubs, and...um, yeah, those weren't good at all. ^^; (Although I thought the crazy prison-one wasn't horrible until it got to the rap part. I doubt I'd like the original Japanese much, either.)

This article also reminds me of how much I want the English soundtrack to Nerima Daikon Brothers on CD. (I'd buy five more boxsets of Evangelion for that! Hint, hint, ADV.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8