• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Beck to the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louieatrest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
FMA Hype Machine? It is only by pure chance that anime even crossed my radar. If anything anime is woefully under-promoted. I would like to see more quality tv in more places ( and from more places as well!). The night job I used to hold had me flipping through many channels in search of anything worth the effort of even keeping my eyes open. Its hard to believe that the value of airtime is so high that it cannot be filled with more shows of different types in search of its audience...but since a show needs to build an audience before it will appear on tv, or DVD, hype is really necessary and I am sad to hear anyone really complaining of it...

er...That being said, what sort of hype are we talking about...I've not really been exposed to any, other than actually being able to find FMA on the store shelves and seeing action figures appear at the video store.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
BritannicaMoore: Happy birthday to you too!

GrdAdmiral wrote:

I think we better start sending over half the Generation X back to kindergarten. I'd say there are a lot of them that do not know how to cook. Both Men and Women. I kinda found that part of the show realistic. Smile Seems most anime, the women all know how to cook. Smile

;p Not knowing how to cook is one thing. Not knowing how to chop something is ridiculous.
クリスチャン

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
louieatrest wrote:
FMA Hype Machine? It is only by pure chance that anime even crossed my radar. If anything anime is woefully under-promoted. I would like to see more quality tv in more places ( and from more places as well!). The night job I used to hold had me flipping through many channels in search of anything worth the effort of even keeping my eyes open. Its hard to believe that the value of airtime is so high that it cannot be filled with more shows of different types in search of its audience...but since a show needs to build an audience before it will appear on tv, or DVD, hype is really necessary and I am sad to hear anyone really complaining of it...

er...That being said, what sort of hype are we talking about...I've not really been exposed to any, other than actually being able to find FMA on the store shelves and seeing action figures appear at the video store.

Well, when you look at it FMA is one of the few series(other than Dragon Ball & Pokemon) which has gotten so much exposure in general. But that does not make it bad at all. FMA is in my Top 5 Favorite Series of All-Time. It is an amazing series. I would say that even the dubs quality compares to the Japanese version. The Dubbed version has great writing and the voice actors are amazing. The voices match the characters very well in my opinion. The whole series is just stunning.

What is meant by saying Hype, is that it is advertised a lot, it is rooted for basically. The type of series that you see everywhere you go. And with that I kind of do have to agree because I do see FMA everywhere I go. But in this case the Hype does not make it bad as I mentioned before. FMA deserves all of the hype it gets.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, it was one of the most popular Adult Swim series in recent years. It seemed to take off in the US because of its run on Adult Swim.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it just that there's fewer volumes getting reviewed or are the number of shelf worthy titles per article getting smaller? I remember when I used to read the column and would be surprised when something was actually listed as perishable.

The somewhat unsatisfying ending to Beck seems to be common in anime. It gets to the point I sometimes dread the conclusion of a title I am watching that I'm really interested in just because I fear what they might do at the end to disappoint me. This is especially the case now with E7, given how the manga ended (though someone at least advised me that the anime ends better).

I may have to consider submitting my collection. It's nothing amazing, especially in the statue/scrolls/posters department, but it's not small either. I mean, it takes up the bulk of my closet after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
クリスチャン

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with you. I remember a few years back when anime was just good. Plainly and simply. These days anime series have very predictable stories/endings and so on. It's almost boring watching a few of these. you could say that quality in anime series has been lost in a way. There are very few "good" anime series which are worth watching.
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She cleans and cooks for him, takes care of his every single whim, and lets us know that, “Taking care of you is what I live for.”

And this is why Shuffle! was my favourite show of 05, and why I'll be buying the DVDs, and why I have 2 Kaede hug pillows...
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Second_Ignition_Yui wrote:
I have 2 Kaede hug pillows...

Eww.

Oh, forgot to put input on BECK. I personally really enjoyed the ending.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
FMA is a good series and I must agree the hype is earned
and the price of these sets are a nice bonus

Kiddy Grade didn't grab, I watched the first ep as a special that Funi put out and it definatley had that fluffy feal you mentioned

and btw
Happy Birthday Bamboo Very Happy
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't rejoice for such things, but I'm glad Shuffle made the perishable! Objectively it's not the worst show I've ever seen, but because I suffered through the whole thing, I'll say it is. First around 50% of the anime is horrible (for all the reasons mentionned in the review and in this thread) which means the second part as to be awesome to make up for it.

But they say it gets better so I gave it a chance (actually, it's because I was bored during that time). Sure, it does get better, in fact, it does get a LOT better! But that doesn't mean it's great, it doesn't mean it's good, it means it gets decent. Okay, maybe I'm exagerating a bit, so if you like melodrama you could argue it's pretty good (no actually, it ain't good melodrama), but seriously I didn't care for the any of the characters during the first half so why do I care what happens to them in the second, despite how tragic their stories are (an frankly they are pretty much underdeveloped and even ridiculous at time).

So yeah, In my opinion Shuffle is not worth suffering through.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Shuffle was so-so in my opinion not great but not awful and at least they had the balls to go with the ending you least expected. It's nothing to throw your toys out the pram just because people enjoy it and the same goes for people who hate it. There are alot better animes out there that offer the same type of enjoyment with better plot development. To me it can never be the worst harem type anime on the market anyway... that award will always be stapled firmly to Girl's Bravo.

I'm so looking forward to watching BECK, still havn't got round to it but I've got a feeling I'm in for something special. I think I might have set my self up for a big disapointment but I hope not.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised to see Shuffle! in the perishable pile and I can't really disagree with any of criticisms of it. I hated Kaede for exactly the reasons mentioned. I had dropped Shuffle after the first couple of episodes but came back after hearing (or rather, seeing a thread title) saying that Shuffle got much more interesting later on. When I started up again, I didn't find the earlier episodes that bad, but they certainly aren't particularly good and it may not be worth it for some people to go through to get to the meat. I hope the later volumes get reviewed, because I'm curious to see how or if opinions about the series and certain characters change.

Still, you do have to go through 10 episodes of generic harem antics before you start getting the drama (and some may not care for the drama either).

Oh, and happy birthday Bamboo.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
To me it can never be the worst harem type anime on the market anyway... that award will always be stapled firmly to Girl's Bravo.

What??? How could you say that? A planet full of horny women? Best idea ever!!!!!!!

*wince*

But why must the theme songs for these shows be soooo good? ;__; Secretly, that's what keeps me watching. Sister Princess? Best theme song *ever*.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
To me it can never be the worst harem type anime on the market anyway... that award will always be stapled firmly to Girl's Bravo.

What??? How could you say that? A planet full of horny women? Best idea ever!!!!!!!

*wince*

But why must the theme songs for these shows be soooo good? ;__; Secretly, that's what keeps me watching. Sister Princess? Best theme song *ever*.
Smile
I must admit I class it as the worst harem anime I've watched but I HAVE watched it... all of it. That's 24 episodes worth... so something must have kept my interest. I also agree they can spin a good tune or two.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The somewhat unsatisfying ending to Beck seems to be common in anime. It gets to the point I sometimes dread the conclusion of a title I am watching that I'm really interested in just because I fear what they might do at the end to disappoint me. This is especially the case now with E7, given how the manga ended (though someone at least advised me that the anime ends better).

I've never read the E7 manga, but just about every fan of the anime I've come across who has feels that it's utter and complete drek. (This does make sense in the grand scheme of things, considering that it's an adaptation of the anime series that doesn't even seem to attempt to follow its plot.) I'm a massive fan of the series, though, and as far as I see it, if the ending doesn't leave you with a great case of the warm and fuzzies, your soul needs a tune-up. Razz

If I ever manage to get my collection into one place, I might consider sending in a shot or two. It's certainly much much smaller than this amazing spread, and I don't really have anything in the way of merchandise, but I figure it's decent enough in its own way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5