• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo to Stream Naruto via Crunchyroll Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
I guess it goes to show that no matter how dishonest and illegal you are, if you work hard enough even your enemies will respect you.

It is probably more a case of Crunchyroll being one of the most prominent websites out there for anime streaming... thus if they are willing to transform into a legit site it will probably get more traffic (and thus more money) than starting a site new.

Anyway, interesting move and it is going to be fascinating watching how things shake out. I'd be curious to know what percentage of the subscription/advertising fees stay with Cruchyroll vs other legit online streaming sites (hulu, for example), rather than ending up with the producers/Japanese anime industry.

From my perspective it will be especially interesting to see how this shakes down with dattebayo. I've been a fan of their subs, and them in general (as their sense of humor definitely jives with mine), so the fallout on this announcement could be very fun from an outsider's perspective. Assuming Cruchy/TVTokyo don't totally cock things up, my ideal scenario would involve Dattebayo dropping naruto and focusing on Bleach (I'm assuming since Bleach was not mentioned in the PR that it is not apart of the deal) while picking up some new show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryoga79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Gintama released a mere week after broadcast. I think I'm hearing Santa already Very Happy
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I think I'd be quite right to say "ABOUT DAMN TIME". People in Japan, controlling this industry - congratulations on using your brains for once. Well technically, this isn't the first time, but this is the first time when it REALLY counts towards a new era.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
bugmenot2 wrote:

- Is Shinji this Vu Nguyen?

Vu has stated publicly that he is not Shinji, but has declined to say who is. It could be one of the other two founders, or more likely, it's a group account used by the three of them - supposition on my part.

The users who are whining in CRs forums are pretty pathetic. This is a great move by CR, it finally makes them 100% legit, which was why many companies wouldn't deal with them before.

I know major companies that have said "As long as there is copyright infringement if the form of fansubs on CR, we won't license them anything. The day they remove those fansubs, we're ready to talk."

They will still have some stigma about their past to overcome, but now at least they are in a position to say "that's all in the past."

For the fansubs that CR won't be hosting anymore, the ones that don't have legit streaming deals with CR or anyone else, there will still be other places where fans can find them. Sure CR is going to lose some traffic, on the fansubs, but they're going to gain a whole lot on the legit streams.

What remains to be seen, is how the gain and loss balance out.

-t
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Making people pay to view the streams for the first week is kind of silly and will just continue to encourage rapid fansubs. However, I'm sure they'll change their minds on that when they realize the effect and just have everything ad-based. It's the only way they'll be able to compete.

Still, this is a massive step forward, especially since Naruto is still one of the most popular series' out there. Now let's just hope Toei and FUNimation can get something worked out with One Piece by next year.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well if they absolutely positively have to see it same day to discuss it on forum X, then they should pay thru the nose for the priviledge. Laughing

Is it really confirmed that Hulu and Joost will get this also? The VIZ release only mentioned Naruto.com
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Eric10301 wrote:
I'm very interested in seeing the quality they put out. If I'm not mistaken a certain fansub group said they would quit subbing Naruto if the producers pulled off something like this and it was good quality.
unfortunately right now, crunchyroll's best quality is very crappy in technical aspects..this is fine for many people but for a lot of others it's very ugly
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a nice idea but if previous posts are correct, the quality will be mediocre at best and that's not what people are going to pay a subscription for.

If they upgrade it to 720p streaming (which probably won't be feasable) for paying customers, then I could see this doing well, otherwise fansubs will offer people a higher quality product for less cost and only a slightly longer delay between broadcast date and release date.

Then all they'd need is some series that I want to watch.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Is it really confirmed that Hulu and Joost will get this also? The VIZ release only mentioned Naruto.com

Hulu and Joost are mentioned in the TV Tokyo PR. Oddly, Naruto.com is not mentioned in the TV Tokyo PR.

The TV Tokyo PR (Japanese only) is linked to at the beginning of our article.

-t
darkninjawill
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Not to be off topic, But you know what I would pay to see uploaded to crunchyroll with subs?

Aoki Ryuusei S.P.T. Layzner
Probably one of the best, If not THE best mecha animes from the 80's.

Sure, after this crunchyroll will probably make deals with the japanese networks to stream bleach, one piece, D.gray man and all the other shounen jump animes which are all the rage nowadays, But what about the fans of older anime?

With U.S. anime companys not wanting to take any risks with licensing shows that might not do so well , this could be a golden opportunity to bring over some older shows to gauge fans reactions to them. They could take a show, Stream it online, and if it gets enough positive reviews maybe have a limited DVD run.

If done right, this could really revolutionize the anime industry.

Last edited by darkninjawill on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had much time lately to read the forums but had to take a moment on this. Personally, I'm not someone who has spent much (read: any) time at Crunchyroll due to being both a dub fan and someone who can't take them seriously because of the name. Still, I'm extremely pleased to hear about this deal and can only hope that it works out very well for them. This is something that should have been done a long time ago.

Having someone, anyone, putting out subbed streams of anime as near as possible to the air date is an absolute requirement for weakening the hold fansubs have over the fanbase. With this step forward, I can see the possibility of the market picking back up again. I feel that all three groups in the market, the Japanese companies, streaming sites and R1 distributors/licensors need to put in maximum effort to make more arrangements like this ASAP.

Hopefully, this sort of action combined with attacks on bootlegs will finally minimize the piracy and get things healthy again.
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I have never supported Crunchyroll, I never WILL support Crunchyroll. CR and Toei could put Sailormoon Stars up there, and I STILL wouldn't go there to watch anything. The fact that they're now collaborating with anime companies to upload official stuff and gain profits for it just makes me sick.

Online viewing and the like might be the wave of the future, but there has to be a better partner for the companies than Crunchyroll, for heaven's sake!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Hulu and Joost are mentioned in the TV Tokyo PR. Oddly, Naruto.com is not mentioned in the TV Tokyo PR.

I just confirmed with Viz that Hulu and Joost will be getting Shipuden from Viz and will be streaming it at the same time as Naruto.com

-t
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:

I just confirmed with Viz that Hulu and Joost will be getting Shipuden from Viz and will be streaming it at the same time as Naruto.com

-t

Boosh! Just another reason for me to enjoy Hulu.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feelings...mixed feelings. CR going full legit would've been nice if this was done years ago instead of them making an easy money off of piracy. At least, I can now grin at all the CR complainers about their beloved site no longer accepting user submitted stuff. Yesh!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8