• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Groups: Blu-ray to Overtake DVD in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Of course it isn't a one for one comparison. Basically I just meant you're afraid BD would be left behind before becoming the new default physical media.

IMO blu-ray penetration is "on schedule", way ahead of DVD-audio (or Super Audio CD) that never become a successful successor of the inferior Audio CD. People seem to forget it took several years for the videotape to become ubiquitous in the home market, and then it also took the DVD several years to substitute VHS (even tough the DVD had the advantage of lacking format wars like beta vs. VHS or blu-ray vs HD-DVD).

Quote:
Personally the availability of digital streaming/storage,

I do not trust the "cloud", i prefer to have my discs where no EMP or hacker attack can wipe my whole collection in a blink.

Quote:
I have been able to put off any investment in BD tech other than a broken PS3 and some games. No matter how much better it is I don't need it as this time.

Resistance is futile, thou shall be assimilated.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
I buy BluRay because DVDs have macroblocking and aliasing artifacts, as well as issues with high motion.

The resolution is not nearly as important to me as the lack of macroblocking and the issues with aliasing and high motion. Though there can be aliasing and some artifacts as a result of upscaling, they're generally not as bad as just plain bad encodes.

Though, if the BluRay is a bad upscale job then I'll just buy the DVD. Even with the visual issues.

P.S.

Macroblocking makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs loud enough for my TV to shatter.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
I fell before the Blu-Ray trend.... 99% of my collection is Blu-Ray (including the anime).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
This is great. I'd say about 95% of my import collection is Blu-ray. Sharing the same region is quite awesome. This year marks the first in certain shows only receiving the BD treatment.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Moreover, isn't it really this dime-a-dozen content that needs to be given the streaming treatment? I don't know that it would be a huge loss for "generic TV show x" to forgoe physical media, leaving that domain for higher profile releases that a) would stand the most to benefit from something like Blu-ray, and b) actually turn a decent profit in a market desaturated of so many unnecessary releases. Perhaps in the case of people wanting to own these shows, barebones made-to-order discs can be arranged, like with the obscure catalogue titles in some Hollywood studios offer?

So basically, shows you don't like should get bad treatment with their releases? Thats mature. These are the shows that sell better (many of the more "Deep" stuff don't make profit these days). So if any of these shows should get streaming only, its the stuff thats won't sell physical discs.

Like here are the Fall anime sales:

*1, 41,369 Persona 4 The Animation
*2, 22,673 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
*3, 19,613 Working'!!
*4, 11,984 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
*5, 10,042 Guilty Crown
*6, *4,524 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2
*7, *4,077 Tamayura: Hitotose (Blu-ray data only, DVD *,920 ~1,131)
*8, *3,885 gdgd Fairies
*9, *3,421 Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
10, *3,379 Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
12, *3,199 Maken-Ki! (Blu-ray data only, DVD *,920 ~1,131)
13, *3,026 Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam
14, *2,828 Shakugan no Shana III (Blu-ray data only, DVD 1,131~1,273)
15, *2,336 Mirai Nikki
16, *2,333 Chihayafuru (vol.2)
17, *2,101 Ben-To
18, *2,038 C³
19, *1,853 Kimi to Boku.
20, **,954 Morita-san wa Mukuchi 2

out of the rankings
Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Hunter x Hunter
UN-GO
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle

Are you gonna tell me that something like Chihayafuru or Un-Go deserves a physical release more than Maken-ki or MajiKoi? These "dime a dozen" anime is what keeps the industry alive, since they're cheap to make and sell enough to get profit.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome:

It's one thing for me to speculate about the merits of streaming vs. disc for various bits of content and make a dream speech about anime "graduating" from highschool, but making sense of sales numbers is way above my pay grade! If you can do that, by all means, break out the powerpoint and change minds. Just remember, as an anime fan I'm not about to compensate you...Laughing
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
The sooner BD becomes the standard, the sooner it gets cheaper for consumers.

Inaccurate. Consumers aren't paying the physical price.

Quote:
I can't believe people are still clinging to DVD. It's holding everyone back.

I can't believe people are still clinging to a physical product in a digital distribution era. It's holding everyone back.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome:

It's one thing for me to speculate about the merits of streaming vs. disc for various bits of content and make a dream speech about anime "graduating" from highschool, but making sense of sales numbers is way above my pay grade! If you can do that, by all means, break out the powerpoint and change minds. Just remember, as an anime fan I'm not about to compensate you...Laughing
If I recall correctly, typically an anime needs to move about 2-3 thousand units per volume to break even. Anything under a thousand is almost always a fiscal belly flop unless the series was very, very cheap.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
@Polycell:

Good to know. I was thinking more along the lines of predicting customer purchasing habits. Is it enough to just say "oh this sells, make more", or do publishers have a need to understand their customers more thoroughly? I would think ultimately the latter is important, because nothing is popular forever and one needs to reel as many people in as possible to move more units, etc.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
@Polycell:

Good to know. I was thinking more along the lines of predicting customer purchasing habits. Is it enough to just say "oh this sells, make more", or do publishers have a need to understand their customers more thoroughly? I would think ultimately the latter is important, because nothing is popular forever and one needs to reel as many people in as possible to move more units, etc.

They just decided it makes more money to focus on the buying market. With how anime sells for 80 dollars per 2 episodes, only the most hardcore fans (the otaku) are willing to buy it. Not to slight the non otaku fans, but they just aren't as into anime and its culture to pay those prices (as is often seen here with how much people complain about paying the Japanese prices for anime like Fate/Zero).

The lesser fans will still watch the anime on TV, but with the late night anime, its essentially a commercial. You pay for the timeslots, so it doesn't matter how many people watch it if they aren't buying the DVD/BDs. For example, Kaiji was one of the best rated late night anime both times it aired... yet neither anime sold more than 500 copies a volume. Yet something cheap like A-Channel had bad ratings, but sold 6k copies since its target audience buys anime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I can't believe people are still clinging to a physical product in a digital distribution era. It's holding everyone back.

That is merely wishful thinking. Digital distribution is not the next phase in the evolution of physical media, that line of thought is akin to thinking the video streaming will substitute broadcast TV (which continues to enjoy a good bill of health).

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

That is merely wishful thinking. Digital distribution is not the phase in the evolution of physical media, that line of thought is akin to thinking the video streaming will substitute broadcast TV (which continues to enjoy a good bill of health).

And when it comes down to it, nobody benefits from digital distribution outside of the companies themselves, since they get to charge just as much without having to deal with production. The customers get shafted.

I know personally I would never pay for a product I don't physically own. Its no different from piracy if all they give me is a file on my PC.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
And when it comes down to it, nobody benefits from digital distribution outside of the companies themselves, since they get to charge just as much without having to deal with production. The customers get shafted.

Indeed! Even when they have to deal with production costs, the whole "manufacture on demand" paradigm shafts the consumer since the price never goes down, even from a used copy!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not to slight the non otaku fans, but they just aren't as into anime and its culture to pay those prices (as is often seen here with how much people complain about paying the Japanese prices for anime like Fate/Zero).
Why don't people seem to get this? The amount someone spends on anime, or the size of their collection, is not a gauge of any sort of level of fandom or being "into it." Period.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not to slight the non otaku fans, but they just aren't as into anime and its culture to pay those prices (as is often seen here with how much people complain about paying the Japanese prices for anime like Fate/Zero).
Why don't people seem to get this? The amount someone spends on anime, or the size of their collection, is not a gauge of any sort of level of fandom or being "into it." Period.

Would you eat nothing but instant ramen and sacrifice going out just to be able to afford the new great anime? If not, then you can't argue you care about anime as much as the biggest otaku out there. They live and breath anime, and have their entire rooms dedicated to their hobby.

Spending money and time is one of the most significant ways to tell how much someone is into a hobby. I'm not going to try to say I'm a bigger NBA fan then someone else who watches every single game at the same time using a league pass. I only watch a couple games a week, so I'm not at that same kind of fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4