• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Stream to end scanlation of Viz Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
HattoriHaze makes a very good point that I think a lot of people tend to forget about. The people that translate manga do need to eat. I remember someone mentioning that the industry has seen lower translation costs as fans step up, and if anything that sort of labor needs even more support behind it by the fandom. I would think that fans would naturally at least have a wish to support their fellow fans, wouldn't they?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
My biggest concern about this is if paying either would be anywhere near as convinient as pre-teens and teens who may have bought the printed version of Shonen Jump magazine every month from a newsstand/bookstore using their pocket money? I understand cost-wise, it's very convinient. It's just the method of payment that I'm not sure about.

Don't you have parents? Why not ask them to help?
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
When I saved my allowance as a teenager, I used to ask my parents to let me use it to buy things online. They would enter their credit data, and I'd give them back the cash. There's nothing wrong with that, right?
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Good for VIZ. I want SJA to be a success for them. I have been reading their manga for over 20 years and I am happy that technology and business models are catching up to each other. CR helped with anime, now SJA can do it for manga. I hope all of the paper SJ fans convert to SJA, plus the scanlator fans. With this success I want to see VIZ offering digital magazine subcriptions for Shonen Sunday and a Shojo line.

I am sorry the EU/other world English readers are left out of this business model, but I do think if this first year or six months is successful those areas will be accomondated.

I am not sorry for the scanlator fans. The cold hard truth is you are a bunch of spoiled brats acting like 2 year olds screaming for that toy or candy bar in the grocery store. The OLD business model is gone. Grow up and act your age, not your shoe size.
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded of the fact I enjoy Naruto.

If I say I like Naruto manga and say to others about it I'm dubbed a "narutard" regardless of my opinion.

The childish pirates are just that. Honest people get stuck using pirates for some things as they can't get them through legit channels.

Tired of arguing for the product, tired of arguing about the reasons for it. Just too tired. Sod it I'll go back to hunting for up to date manga, importing volume manga and hating the fact that the UK gets stiffed for everything good. Still we have rain, tea and crumpets I guess.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
When I saved my allowance as a teenager, I used to ask my parents to let me use it to buy things online. They would enter their credit data, and I'd give them back the cash. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

I did the same thing until I was old enough to get my own credit card. Also, birthday money and anything else I got, all went towards anime and manga. I remember bring so excited that I saved up so much to buy my favorite series! It's sad that not many people have this mentality anymore... People now don't seem to find any pleasure in owning or buying anything period anymore!

Oh, also I'm surprised this hasn't been covered as front page news. Then again, I guess its a good thing, knowing thw fights that break out. In this case, it would probably be the Viz hatred that would migrate to here to spread their hate...
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
"slow, awkward, and inferior"?

The only thing that VIZ's scans and translations are of those three is slow. For MS to say that VIZ's scans are inferior is ridiculous. VIZ's are pretty much as high of quality as you can get. MS's were lacking all kinds of details, they were always dark and more blotchy.

I don't really understand what they mean by 'awkward', I guess.

As for slow... Well, yes, they're slow. However, there is a reason for them being slow, I'm sure. And seriously, MS is in no place to be telling a company what they should do, when they were releasing Jump's manga a whole five days before their release in Japan. SJAlpha could be same day release as Japan, and they would still be 'slow' compared to MS.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAH are you serious? my volume 31 of Ranma 1/2(recently reread and it stuck in my head how terrible Viz is) disagrees not to mention the more recent printings of maison ikkoku were in the 80's they have DVD and bluray players LOL.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ElderlyGoose, you're absolutely right. I am a Naruto fan, and I hate being stereotyped as someone that's stupid because of it. I remember someone once wrote on here that many pirates are the same sorts of people that refer to Naruto fans as "Narutards", yet they secretly (and unlawfully) read the series themselves. It also hurts when I try to break down a Naruto episode as anything more than simply "that show", since no one wants to take me seriously.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
What mangastream WONT tell you, is that they actually make money off of scanlating the work (through advertizing). They're making a lot of money off of someone else's work. VIZ is 100% in the right for removing those titles. They also need to redraw certain portions of the artwork, making it look like garbage.

Viz manga translations are always professionally translated and way better than anything stream had ever done.

Manga is a job just like anyone else has, nobody is entitled to getting it for free. Shame on mangastream for all of the insults hurled at Viz. Oh and those immature numbskulls need to stop ruining Viz's facebook page.

And just because they "promoted legal manga" means absolutely nothing.

MangaNeko wrote:

I am not sorry for the scanlator fans. The cold hard truth is you are a bunch of spoiled brats acting like 2 year olds screaming for that toy or candy bar in the grocery store. The OLD business model is gone. Grow up and act your age, not your shoe size.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
My biggest concern about this is if paying either would be anywhere near as convinient as pre-teens and teens who may have bought the printed version of Shonen Jump magazine every month from a newsstand/bookstore using their pocket money? I understand cost-wise, it's very convinient. It's just the method of payment that I'm not sure about.

Don't you have parents? Why not ask them to help?

*sigh* The thing is I would like to know whether or not I can purchase this myself since we're talking about a mere $26 a year. Asking my folks for something like this would a bit of a pain is all since they may need time to think about it or something. Not that they would say no, it's just that when I bought the printed magazine every month from a newsstand, I technically didn't have to worry about asking my parents. I just need $5 in my wallet.

I just want to know whether or not it's possible to subscribe to WSJA by myself, espcially since I have a debit card. And if it isn't that simple for whatever the reason (pretty sure it's not), then I ask my parents.

Tenbyakugon wrote:
Viz Media has yet to actually come out and say that they did cancel Reborn!, actually. I left them a question about it on their FaceBook wall, considering I do have all sixteen of the released volumes, and the only thing they had to tell me was that it is on hiatus. They've never mentioned a word about it being cancelled.

I'm not the biggest fan of Reborn but since you have all of the volumes that were released here so far, maybe you could shed some light on something. For a while a bunch of fans hve rant over and over again over how bad the translations in Reborn are and how silly the dialogue is. I've even seen pictures showing examples of it. However the pictures look like they only came from volume 16, I think? What I want to know since you own all released volumes so far is what were the translations in prior volumes like? Did the dialogue seem like it made enough sense based on the content in the story or the way the chatacters were interpretted throughout the series? Did volume 16 just stand out like a sore thumb from the rest as far as translations go? And who were the translators in each and every volume if you don't me answering that? I really would appreciate the insight.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
well im glad to see some well mannered and well thought out posts. this whole entitlement issue is whats been ruining the industry for years. sjalpha may not be the best at the moment, but if they can close the gap to a day or 2 after the japanese release, they will be in the right.

regardless im going to support them, plus its not like scanalatioons aaare gonee, forever, their is always going to be someone making them
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
sjalpha may not be the best at the moment, but if they can close the gap to a day or 2 after the japanese release, they will be in the right.

It's been said before on the One Piece Podcast by a translator of One Piece for Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha, but if it does well enough, then Viz will see about closing the gap between chapters here and in Japan, as well as add other titles and maybe even have it elsewhere besides US and Canada.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:
sjalpha may not be the best at the moment, but if they can close the gap to a day or 2 after the japanese release, they will be in the right.

It's been said before on the One Piece Podcast by a translator of One Piece for Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha, but if it does well enough, then Viz will see about closing the gap between chapters here and in Japan, as well as add other titles and maybe even have it elsewhere besides US and Canada.

There is no way to be one or two days without alot of money because it takes much longer time to do manga than anime.

I don't think the gap is that important for most people. Most people have a life. I don;'t really believe that manga is that important to most people here in US. manga readers don't buy the books in the first day that they come out. Alot of time, I see a manga on top 10 for a long time.

1-2 weeks delay should reasonable. Reading it 3 weeks after the Japanese is really going to kill those people? I think they just want to use it as excuse to not paying for it. Even if they release it at the same time as the scanlation, they will say something like the scanlation has be quality and better translation, so they will not pay for it.

I think the best thing for us to do is you pay for it and read the scanlation if you want. That's what i do for one piece. I read Bakuman, Bleach, Naruto on ALPHA because i don't really need to keep up with it.

it's only $26 a year, people.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

I don't think the gap is that important for most people. Most people have a life. I don;'t really believe that manga is that important to most people here in US. manga readers don't buy the books in the first day that they come out. Alot of time, I see a manga on top 10 for a long time.

1-2 weeks delay should reasonable. Reading it 3 weeks after the Japanese is really going to kill those people? I think they just want to use it as excuse to not paying for it. Even if they release it at the same time as the scanlation, they will say something like the scanlation has be quality and better translation, so they will not pay for it.

Actually... it's the biggest complaint on Viz's "Facebook of hate" right now. Besides people in other countries angry that they can't access Viz even if they wanted to, even a ONE WEEK delay is too long because they should "be able to get what Japan gets" and "too many spoilers" and "a week or more is REALLY behind". Yeah...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
There is no way to be one or two days without alot of money because it takes much longer time to do manga than anime.

I never even said 1-2 days. All I said was that they would consider closing the gap if this is successful enough. For all we know that gap could only by closed to one week behind, or only a week-in-a-half behind or something. You're better off asking someone more from the horse's mouth like Steven who translates One Piece from Viz.

Also I'm honestly not sure where you got you information from but if you're referring to production time, then I think anime takes longer to make than manga, not the other way around.

Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't think the gap is that important for most people. Most people have a life. I don;'t really believe that manga is that important to most people here in US.

To an extent, I can relate to the younger crowd on this. If you don't like school or you need something to escape from it, reading a chapter of a manga every week for free without bothering to care where it comes from is considered a fix. From a younger fan's point of view that doesn't know better or wouldn't care to know better, easily reading the latest Naruto chapter is the equivalent to when I watched DBZ on Toonami back in the day after school when I was in my pre-teen years. I wasn't aware of what it took at the time to get DBZ on TV and I didn't care. I just wanted to see Goku kick ass.

Mind you, I'm not defending the younger crowd. I'm just saying I can understand why they would lash out the way they would. I'm pretty sure they could actually sit and wait a couple of weeks behind the Japanese. Unfortunately, many of them don't want to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5