• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Overrated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
"Baka and Test" should be higher on this list. Stupid premise, morons hired for educators, and unlikable characters really hold this series down.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hm? I don't think every show needs to have a climax or stressful ordeal to be good or appeal to people. K-On! for me, is more about just enjoying the simpler things in life - watching the comedic and carefree interactions of a high school music club members and forgetting the stress of daily life. Sure, shows with complex plots, action and intrigue are great, but it's nice to have shows SOL shows like K-On!, Lucky Star, Ichigo Mashimaro, Nichijou and Azumanga Diaoh that you can watch and relax, you know?

I was referring to the 1st season, it probably was the #1 moe anime since Lucky Star, but at least it has a plot. The 2nd season has nothing of that, just mindless fun and episodic, bad character developments and lame gags. Even if they aimed for SOL, I'd rather watch things like Aria. It has something you can learn from, K-on!'s season 2 is like about a bunch of moe girls doing some stupid stuffs or such.

Btw, what is gdgd Fairies? It doesn't look like something that can be classified as overrated.

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
My only surprise about the Top 10 is that Infinite Stratos is on the list at all. I didn't think enough people actually considered it a good series for it to qualify as being overrated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Overrated or not, I'd love to get my paws on AnoHana. Hope someone licenses it soon.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Not a surprise to see the more popular shows at the top. "Overrated" polls tend to bring out more people who'd like to voice their views on certain shows people can't stop talking about. From a personal standpoint, I do think that AnoHana was "overrated" in the sense that it was a decent (at best) series that was not as mindblowingly-good as so many made it out to be, with too many flaws and melodrama to take it seriously and appreciate. Guilty Crown's placement, though, is pretty funny, since the general consensus has been that it's not good enough and has not been highly-rated enough to even be considered "overrated". Now, if there was a "Most Disappointing" list…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I am glad index was rated number seven i liked that anime a whole lot and railgun as well. I am somewhat surprised to see madoka as number one on that list. I thought it was a good anime.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Guilty Crown is too damn low.
now about 6 weeks ago nobody could argue that, but even as someone who enjoyed the first half, its actually not a very good series at all, took a real nose dive after episode 12/13

now giving it a quick glance i think its on the whole similar to my own opinion, but some are way off:

-PMMM and K-ON! i simply couldn't get into myself, can justify 1 & 3 there
-suprised at AnoHana, i thought it was good so no. 2 seems abit high personally
-can't believe Toaru is no. 7, i really liked that but it must be overhyped in Japan to be that high
-whilst i enjoyed OreImo i definitely felt it was overratted on the whole
-Fate/Zero in the top 10!!! Shocked Can't believe that, no way it stays there after it finishes airing, gets even better later on
-Haganai and Haruhi were ok, i enjoyed both and even own all of Haruhi but no way there as good as was made out to me
-Inu x Boku SS must have some really annoying fans to be so high on the list, since it's not really that good anyway

A shout-out to all the series that didn't rank highly (i.e. less than a 1/3 of PMMM's votes), and imo deservedly so :

-Nurarihyon no Mago
-Un-Go
-Chihayafuru
-Usagi Drop
-Natsume's Book of Friends
-Mirai Nikki
CKSqua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My only surprise about the Top 10 is that Infinite Stratos is on the list at all. I didn't think enough people actually considered it a good series for it to qualify as being overrated.

Infinite Stratos was ridiculously popular in Japan, and DVD/BD sales were on the level of Angel Beats (which makes it one of the biggest success stories over the past 2-3 years. Its popularity wasn't anticipated, and the light novels didn't become chart toppers until after the anime premiere). Typical harem/fan service shows just don't get the same kind of attention.

From a critical standpoint, I'm not sure how highly it's regarded. However, plenty of people must have loved it to spend that kind of money on home video.

[You could probably add Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere to the list of shows that were huge with Japanese otaku but unpopular with everyone else]
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad a list like this is inherently bullshit.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
People questioning Anohana being on the list should brush up on the definition of "melodrama". It's almost as bad as Angel Beats in that regard. I'm almost surprised it didn't snatch the top spot.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Anything highly rated will always be overrated. But what is overrated is not always highly rated.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Too subjective to comment.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru77 wrote:
Overrated means "Actually much worse than they give credit for."

So 1409 women should just go back to the kitchen cause Madoka not only deserves the fandom it gets, but I like to see much more.

I'm not even sad/mad it has an "loli-otaku"-base. It deserves ALL of the love and if these little Biglobe punks can't see that.......well what do I care. >_>

(Sorry, momentum craze there. Fans should always speak their mind even if squidwards like me don't agree.)

I can't tell if you're a troll or you're really this much of a f*cking moron.

Prepare yourself.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This list is really boring. >__<
All of these shows I have seen before or have heard of them.

There should be a Top 50 Underrated Anime list or a list of Unknown Old School Anime! Then again, ANN does a great job at commenting about older anime/manga and new yet under appreciated titles. It would nice though...

Long live obscurity!!! Very Happy
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Madoka being first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7