• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Lupin III TV Anime's Staff, Cast, Title Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Quote:
and AnoHana's Mari Okada will handle the series composition

No, thanks!

She can be a mixed bag, but I'd imagine the producers will keep her on check considering how iconic this franchise is. Besides, it's not confirmed she's also doing all of the scripts, right?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Damn me for admitting it, but I associate the characters with the cast from Geneon's English dub for the second series, which I suppose will work to my advantage.

The Geneon cast was pretty solid. Tony Oliver especially seemed to have a lot of fun with his role.

Quite so. I was always rather partial to Richard Epcar's portrayal of Jigen.

Sam Murai wrote:
Considering the character, it is pretty interesting (and probably a deliberate choice) having both the director and screenwriter be females. On the other hand, the series is supposed to be more "sensual" and "bold" than other Lupin entries, and given that some of the more risque work across the board have been done by female artists, I can't say that with certainty that Yamamoto or Okada won't steer from entering cheesecake territory themselves, considering the former storyboarded the fanservice-soaked sixth episode of Highschool of the Dead and the latter did the series compositions for the Kodomo no Jikan series.

I suppose that particular qualities of the production staff don't necessarily immunize it against going an exploitative route, but I can still hold hope out. Besides, I don't think that portrayal of sexuality or even occasional dalliances in cheesecake per se are the problem, rather it's how those portrayals can compromise character or story. It's one thing if she undertakes some caper at a fancy dinner party where it would be quite plausible for her to wear a, if you'll forgive my diplomacy, flattering dress, but quite another if she's out to rob some sleazeball who OH NOES just happens to be fond of mud wrestling. In the first she can be an active character whose behavior makes sense in the larger context of the series, in the latter she's just been arbitrarily thrown into an idiotic scenario the the producers can make her writhe about with other women in a bikini. There's a difference between being a sexy character and being sexualized or between something being the nature of the character and the character being a tool to titillate the audience. The first has potential risks, but can still easily be a strong, respectable character, whereas the latter is sort of debased by default. And I really hate that because, like particularly bald exposition by people drinking coffee like talking about the plot or transparently channeling some authorial rant through the characters, it's condescending to the audience and smacks them right out of the experience.

I'm also not sure just how we far we can extrapolate from their past work. I imagine that Sayo Yamamoto and Maki Okada are a jobbing animator and writer who sometimes, perhaps regularly, must take jobs that they have no real love for, or worse, but lack to the luxury of refusing. Of course, Michiko e Hatchin had a lead who ran around 'lightly clad, but... uh... South America is hot?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Holy redesign, Batman!

Looks... interesting... and I guess I'd watch this if CR were to stream it. Making Fujiko the main character sounds like it could work. Atleast it's a break from the tired formula of TV specials we've had since 1989. As for trying to make it closer to the manga... if they wanted to do that, why not adapt the manga straight and reuse the character designs from the Mystery of Mamo movie? That 1978 film was probably the closest the anime's gotten to being like the manga in terms of its overall goofiness and humor.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
At 1:29 a.m.................... Yeah, I think that's about the same time Adult Swim aired Lupin III! Laughing

(Prefer the original voice though since it's the original.)
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
so now this series all fujiko as main lead yea give finally give her push as main lead.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Pure Win!
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Sam Murai wrote:
Considering the character, it is pretty interesting (and probably a deliberate choice) having both the director and screenwriter be females. On the other hand, the series is supposed to be more "sensual" and "bold" than other Lupin entries, and given that some of the more risque work across the board have been done by female artists, I can't say that with certainty that Yamamoto or Okada won't steer from entering cheesecake territory themselves, considering the former storyboarded the fanservice-soaked sixth episode of Highschool of the Dead and the latter did the series compositions for the Kodomo no Jikan series.

I suppose that particular qualities of the production staff don't necessarily immunize it against going an exploitative route, but I can still hold hope out. Besides, I don't think that portrayal of sexuality or even occasional dalliances in cheesecake per se are the problem, rather it's how those portrayals can compromise character or story. It's one thing if she undertakes some caper at a fancy dinner party where it would be quite plausible for her to wear a, if you'll forgive my diplomacy, flattering dress, but quite another if she's out to rob some sleazeball who OH NOES just happens to be fond of mud wrestling. In the first she can be an active character whose behavior makes sense in the larger context of the series, in the latter she's just been arbitrarily thrown into an idiotic scenario the the producers can make her writhe about with other women in a bikini. There's a difference between being a sexy character and being sexualized or between something being the nature of the character and the character being a tool to titillate the audience. The first has potential risks, but can still easily be a strong, respectable character, whereas the latter is sort of debased by default. And I really hate that because, like particularly bald exposition by people drinking coffee like talking about the plot or transparently channeling some authorial rant through the characters, it's condescending to the audience and smacks them right out of the experience.

I'm also not sure just how we far we can extrapolate from their past work. I imagine that Sayo Yamamoto and Maki Okada are a jobbing animator and writer who sometimes, perhaps regularly, must take jobs that they have no real love for, or worse, but lack to the luxury of refusing. Of course, Michiko e Hatchin had a lead who ran around 'lightly clad, but... uh... South America is hot?

Am I the only one who almost fell asleep reading this?

If you don't like fanservice, just say so. No need for an utterly pretentious faux-feminist argument about a freaking cartoon from Japan just becuase a character with female sex appeal was mentioned. These arguments get more and more preposterous every time I see them. Lupin isn't exactly known for substantial character development or storyline for one. It's about this thing called "fun." You know that thing where you enjoy it without trying to deconstruct it like a pretentious twit. But maybe this was more about hearing yourself talk.

Note, I prefer my strong female characters, but when we start talking about "objectification" and "sexualization" in super niche nerd fandom content its time to put down the crack pipe.

I also tend to find that males that interpret the world in these terms are usually the ones that have never been on a date before, since they're so used to just surmising how women think instead of actually knowing from experience. What"s even more hilarious is you are talking about this in regards to something that is going to have female authorship. Like they can't decide how to depict female characters for their selves.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This needs to get dubbed. Any chance it will?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
I guess if a company were to pick up the show and see some incentive in marketing it beyond the sub-only crowd again. The Lupin brand hasn't really proven to be that successful among the American mainstream and it's been tested by multiple companies over the years (Funimation, Geneon, Streamline, TMS themselves).
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

Best bet is probably Sentai. They're always full of surprises.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The only American licensor of anime that gives a damn about Lupin III at this point is Discotek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The only American licensor of anime that gives a damn about Lupin III at this point is Discotek.

Very true, which is one of the reasons I fell in love with that company was cause they manage to license a hand full of Lupin titles. Including the as of yet to be release Lupin original TV series.

So now it's safe to say that an entirely new Lupin TV anime series is official. Which is more than awesome if it's a.) Being directed by the same person who directed that also awesome Michiko to Hatchin series & b.) the first TV anime series on Lupin since the 80's. I haven't seen the previous TV special, but I'll definately try to see this series any way possible.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

Best bet is probably Sentai. They're always full of surprises.

I doubt it. ADV never gave a second glance to any of the decades of existing "Lupin III" anime content. Why would Neo-ADV be any different?

That having been said, this show looks to be so drastically different in style and presentation that it could be a complete reset for interest. But I imagine most distributors will wait and gauge market interest/feedback a bit before pouncing because of the brand's past success (or lack thereof). Sentai might take a chance with something with if it's fanservicey enough (as that did seem to be their M.O. as ADV).
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a little bit of Lupin, but I'm interested in this. I hope it'll be good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The website now has character designs and a summary.

Looks like green jacket is confirmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4