• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
I am not against the release of strike witches, Just saying what if there is a backlash to it release and Funimations name is on it. Funimation being the only company we can count on for good animes being dubed.

We do have Bandia and Kadokawa Pictures USA still but will they pick up as many licenses as Funimation and release them in half season sets. ADV who knows when they will dub again.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Kalessin wrote:
Strike Witches is arguably lolicon, but that's primarily a question of character design, not story. They could easily have done the same show with non-loli character designs and no one would complain about it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Strike Witches (and Sky Girls) was just a random plot thrown together to showcase Fumikane's designs so actually, no.

While that may be the reason that they created the anime, it's story does not at all require the character designs to be loli. You could tell exactly the same story with very different character designs which were not loli at all. There are plenty of other anime series which have girls of a similar age where the girls do not look particularly loli, and the story itself has nothing to do with lolis or lolicon. It's simply a matter of the character designs. So, while the fact that they're based on Fumikane's designs which are loli that does not mean that they could not have told the same story with character designs that aren't.

As for the plot being random, I'd definitely argue with that. There are certainly shows with deeper plots, but there's definitely solid story telling going on in Strike Witches. So, even if the whole point of creating Strike Witches was to have an anime that uses Fumikane's mecha girls, they still actually managed to put together a series with actual, solid content.
babbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Kalessin wrote:
Strike Witches is arguably lolicon, but that's primarily a question of character design, not story. They could easily have done the same show with non-loli character designs and no one would complain about it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Strike Witches (and Sky Girls) was just a random plot thrown together to showcase Fumikane's designs so actually, no.

While that may be the reason that they created the anime, it's story does not at all require the character designs to be loli. You could tell exactly the same story with very different character designs which were not loli at all. There are plenty of other anime series which have girls of a similar age where the girls do not look particularly loli, and the story itself has nothing to do with lolis or lolicon. It's simply a matter of the character designs. So, while the fact that they're based on Fumikane's designs which are loli that does not mean that they could not have told the same story with character designs that aren't.

As for the plot being random, I'd definitely argue with that. There are certainly shows with deeper plots, but there's definitely solid story telling going on in Strike Witches. So, even if the whole point of creating Strike Witches was to have an anime that uses Fumikane's mecha girls, they still actually managed to put together a series with actual, solid content.
And still be an effective advertisement for a set of loli illustrations?
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention Strike is addapted from a NOVEL series.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Kalessin wrote:

And still be an effective advertisement for a set of loli illustrations?

Well, of course if the point of the show from the creators' point of view is to advertise loli mecha girls, then using character designs which aren't loli isn't going to meet their goals, but there's nothing about the show itself which requires the girls to have loli character designs.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
But the story wouldn't really be worth while without the gimmick. I mean this is Gonzo were talking about, they would probably just mess it up if they tried to play it completely straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23