• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Shhh! Don't say such things! I'LL ALWAYS HAVE SPACE!

Seriously though, if I needed to, I could double up my shelves since the sections are really tall (12 inches) and wide (9.5 inches). I want to punch myself every time I even think of doing that, but it's an option I'll have to consider eventually since I can't make my shelves bigger. That won't be for a while, though, since I still have 11.5 unused sections, and I'd probably have two or three more if I squeezed everything together spine to spine.

Bottom line: I still have years until I need to start really worrying about anything. I'm just happy I don't like manga that much and have small, never-growing collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Your collection will out grow the space. All it takes is time and money.

My collection takes all of the middle bedroom, half of the small bed room, part of the den and part of the living room and I still feel pinched for space. And that doesn't count the manga and figures boxed up in the storage room.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
It's times like this that I realize how small my collection actually is - I'm one decently-sized shelf away from being able to display everything. On the other hand, I'm starting to get a preview of the shelving crisis in my closet - I've already lost one entire shelf to figure boxes and I don't think it'll take too long for the other to follow suit.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone with a copy of Shuffle volume three take a quick snapshot of the poster that came with it? I'm gathering DVD inserts and I noticed I don't have that one (grrr). However, if I don't like it, I don't want to buy a new copy to get it. Or I'm gonna get anyways and I just want to know what I'm in store for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Sure thing TKoH, here ya go.

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It has Asa, therefore I MUST get it. Thanks, Sailor.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome. And no, you can't have mine Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I need international assistance - namely France, Italy and Taiwan. I finished Maison Ikkoku and I would like to have it sitting on my shelf. However, to own it in America would cost truck loads of money because they're OOP (and people are a-holes). So, instead of getting ours, I'll get them from overseas where even with international shipping it'll be cheaper. And so, in my searches, I came across the French, the Italian, and Taiwanese sets.

All three are affordable (at least more so than the US ones), so it comes down to which is the better product. I tried using the various ebay sites to track down photos, but they weren't of much use. I did find this picture of a set on the Taiwanese site, but I have a feeling that was some kind super-duper exclusive and not the one on JSDVD mall. If it's not, well, there's our winner, but I'm highly doubtful.

I don't need pictures (though they would be nice), just basic descriptors. Chipboard, cardstock, digipaks, standard cases, brick cases, slipcovers, etc. Since I won't be able to actually watch them, I want them to at least be really nice collector items.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, you COULD watch them if you took a crash course in either French, Italian or Chinese, Mr. Lazybones. (I believe you have the ability to sidestep region restrictions, do you not?)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
I can bypass region restrictions and I could take a crash course in a foreign language, but it's so much easier watching a long show like this on the computer since there's no disc changing. I watched MI on Youtube, and the uploader was kind enough to put them in playlists so the next one would begin immediately after one finished; so convenient.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Maison Ikkoku TW release, it's pretty much considered to be OOP. I don't see it listed on Proware site (you wouldn't be able to order from there anyway unless you live in Taiwan). The artbox picture you linked is new to me. I only have seen the two chipboard artboxes housing the 24 keepcase volumes.

As to the JS DVD Mall releases itself, the cheaper release (NT$670) shouldn't be the chipboard release (that will likely that higher priced one @ NT$3,576). As to the packaging style for the cheaper set, it will be likely a brick packaging not used for U.S. anime releases. It will likely be a brick that utilize a hinged CD sleeves. This configuration can hold tons of DVDs. These type of packaging are often times accompanied with a very thin sleeve.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't even notice it was OOP in Taiwan. That last two sets are available on YesAsia, but it's pointless without the first one. Well, I guess that eliminates that one. It's a shame because the box in your picture looks like it could be really nice. It's a lot of volumes and shelf space, but it'd also be big pieces of art, and that would've been worth the space to me.

Thanks for the info, WTK.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Okay, I bought the Moribito box set that came in the stack pack a while ago. And now that rightstuf is doing a better bundle now, its really kicked me in the ass to try to fix the one I have so I don't feel as bad for buying it. Anyone know of a case that would fit 8 discs and still hold the slipcover?
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
@Bright_Spear: How thick is your current case? I found this one at Sleeve City. It's an inch thick, which may be too big to replace it.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably that size. Don't have it with me right now. I'll look when I get back. Tried looking on amazon and they only have them in big sets instead of just one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28