• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
The op 2 is unbelievably great!! As expected from Suzuki, also I suggest give the full version a try (official MV from Kadokawa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDhY1lpLhu4), the lyrics brought me tears, especially the part "right now, let's charge ahead in maximum speed amid darkness, after all you only live ONCE, so just move straight forward!" [in the opening sequence, these lyrics accompany the part when Kumoko fights the demon lord, as well as various factions showing up]. As an anime-only, It really fires me up for the upcoming plots

Speaking of OP2 animations, although at this point, even as an anime-only, I can tell the production-team is deliberately teasing us with countless plot misdirection, but even then, did they just nonchalantly hint Kumoko isn't the current black-haired demon lord and yet they are still somehow connected? That is the main message I was getting when repeating the op 20 times (yes, I know lol)

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
The op 2 is unbelievably great!!

This was my reaction, too. I thought the latest episode of Spider was a welcome breath of fresh air, but the real star was the OP. I normally skip Spider's opening soundtrack, but may not anymore, and will probably try to find a copy of this new one for myself.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the new Op and Ending definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

So let's say Kumoko's parallel minds were defeated and didn't come back. Would she no longer be able to cast magic since she left all that up to her two extra minds?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So let's say Kumoko's parallel minds were defeated and didn't come back. Would she no longer be able to cast magic since she left all that up to her two extra minds?

I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Remember, she assigned specific duties to each Parallel Mind, so those duties would just fall back to her main mind while the others are gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Remember, she assigned specific duties to each Parallel Mind, so those duties would just fall back to her main mind while the others are gone.

But did she ever actually use any magic before she got her 2nd mind? Iirc, she hadn't figured out magic before getting it.
Olivia23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
like mt, this is a great adaptation, though in this case i am a humble manga reader.
iirc when the director worked in bento he was part of david production, now I wonder if he worked in jojo too and via work time the only complain i have is that the show lacks naiwa,was that a manga thing only? because the naiwa scene was my favorite scene of the .

The naiwa is also apart of the light novel, and its actually still there in the anime, its just being translated in the subs as something else.

Naiva is also part of a light novel, why isn't she being translated?

Last edited by Olivia23 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
I dont think it was a big thing in the light novel and became more of a thing in the manga. In the light novel she only says it about once a novel for the first 3 novels. And she uses other expressions of distress all the time. When I first heard about the series I saw several people celebrating the Nai-wa catch phrase. I was surprised when consuming the novel and manga that it wasnt really much of a thing in the actual source.

I suspect it was probably mostly a trait highlighted in the fan translations. At the very least I found it used far less then you would think for a catch phrase. As someone who does not read Japanese I can only assume that is a cute affectation when she was assessing an impossible task like the giant cave full of snakes and dear in the opening act.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Worth noting that mother make a quite pronounced appearance while kumoko is in the middle strata this was cut for the anime and does somewhat alter the event, or at least kumoko mindset.

That human/elf meeting, talk about something that could have been an email "Hey dude, the new demon king is super OP, we need to figure out how oh BTW don't trust the pope, k thanks bye".
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, her desire for food is quickly forgotten when she discovers that she has a new skill that will grant her a partially human form. Naturally, Kumoko is all about looking a bit more human, and attempts a transform… only to get interrupted by her gnawing hunger.

I thought it was more or less clear in the anime, but the Arachne evolution is basically the endpoint, or zenith of her current trajectory as a spider. She is a couple evolutions away from that though so that scene only gave her the resolve to push towards that direction.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Even if I miss the lack of Mother scenes in the anime I want to point that the anime changed enough dialogues to no create a plot hole.
Here in the anime Kumoko talks very lightly of Mother and thinks that after beating Alaba she's safe.
In the novel Kumoko is pretty much in a perma "fudge I'm dead" state after she discovers that Mother is after her ass.

And, even though the scenes were changed of order (in the novel Kumoko mind attack Mother first and she counterattack sending her goons), here in the anime Mother not wanting Kumoko to get out of the dungeon is still a legitimate in-universe reason to try to control Kumoko (or at least order her to come back to the dungeon).

Also, yes, Mothers 3D model is different from the one we saw in episode 1. But I don't think that is an entirely new model, most likely the model in episode 1 was still unfinished due to the buggy shadow effect in Mother's fur.

Episode 1

Episode 13
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Quote:
However, her desire for food is quickly forgotten when she discovers that she has a new skill that will grant her a partially human form. Naturally, Kumoko is all about looking a bit more human, and attempts a transform… only to get interrupted by her gnawing hunger.

I thought it was more or less clear in the anime, but the Arachne evolution is basically the endpoint, or zenith of her current trajectory as a spider. She is a couple evolutions away from that though so that scene only gave her the resolve to push towards that direction.

Just to make sure for the new reviewer. Arachne is an evolution, not a skill. The anime doesnt say she was looking at an evolution chart (but implies it with her talking about evolutions) but it is about evolutions. She cant just acquire arachne with skill points. Somehow this first new review felt like a report of someone`s adventure witnesses amazing things.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Quote:

Just to make sure for the new reviewer. Arachne is an evolution, not a skill. The anime doesnt say she was looking at an evolution chart (but implies it with her talking about evolutions) but it is about evolutions. She cant just acquire arachne with skill points. Somehow this first new review felt like a report of someone`s adventure witnesses amazing things.

Please allow Mercedez some grace as she gets adjusted to her new role here. She's not a light novel reader for this series (as that isn't a requirement for any reviewer covering an anime) but we're happy to make corrections for what pertains to what happens within the anime itself as necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
My take on what Arachne is, is at 2:09 in the OP. I think kumoko might be in for a rude awakening...
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My take on what Arachne is, is at 2:09 in the OP.

If you look at 4:32 ish,during Kumoko's info dump,that's a Arachne.
2:09 is not....
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
Appreciated Octopodpie. I mean no offence. Maybe I used the word somehow wrongly, I was just trying to describe how the review felt. Like an adventure log. I will give plenty of leeway and welcome Mercedez to the series. Hope you enjoy this part of your work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 56