• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:

Personally I'm really enjoying the series. I knew there'd be some cuts to save on time and budget so going in knowing and expecting that I've felt the new anime has been quite enjoyable and I'm enjoying it a little more than the first anime.

seriously now, how the hell can someone say something like that? it doesn't make any sense at all. Their were only 5(!) friking episodes and there is a wide agreement that the first series did all of those in a better way.

BY THE WAY, am i the only one that want to see a Fullmetal Alchemist series direct by Arakawa? Laughing
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Blackpeppir wrote:

Personally I'm really enjoying the series. I knew there'd be some cuts to save on time and budget so going in knowing and expecting that I've felt the new anime has been quite enjoyable and I'm enjoying it a little more than the first anime.

seriously now, how the hell can someone say something like that? it doesn't make any sense at all. Their were only 5(!) friking episodes and there is a wide agreement that the first series did all of those in a better way.

BY THE WAY, am i the only one that want to see a Fullmetal Alchemist series direct by Arakawa? Laughing

Easily, I've enjoyed these first 5 episodes more than I enjoyed watching the original anime. I've been hoping to see a more true to the manga adaptation ever since the last anime ended and I read the manga and now it's here. I'll admit that the new anime didn't handle the beginning as well as the first one did but the anticipation of what's coming makes it worth while and more enjoyable, at least for me that is.

As for a Arakawa directed series, we can all dream can't we?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Arakawa has enough exhaustion just doing the manga. Did you read that omake where she talks about all the work she did during the making of the first series? Heh, she even drew omake comics for the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:

Easily, I've enjoyed these first 5 episodes more than I enjoyed watching the original anime.

Don't worry Blackpeppir I am with you. Sure there are things I am not happy about: the combination of 2 chapters into one episode, Scar appearing out of nowhere, the automail breaking scene (that definitely was better done in the 1st series).

But as a whole yes I am enjoying this series more because it feels more like the manga in its themes, characterization, relationships, etc. And well I prefer the manga to the 1st series.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the latest episode (5); I think it is getting better with every episode, but let's be honest here, the origional anime was superior in so many ways in terms of how it handled the content shown in the first 4 episodes. I wont sit here and say it is the best thing since sliced bread so far simply becasue it is based on the manga and is new.

Oh and once again in this latest episode, the seriousness of a situation was almost ruined by some damn right innapropriate comedy and youll know where it is, when you see it. Fair enough it was funny, but it just completly destroyed the way one minute Ed seemed to be terrified for his life and vulnerable and then joking the next. It's just poor.

The up and coming episodes in the new series are going to cover some battles and content that i think will be really interesting to see but to be honest I think it is a bit .....how do I put this.... dissapointing, that this is the only reason I would want to watch the new series. I cant say im all that impressed that the only reason im watching this series at the moment is to see if it does eventually get better and to see mustang throw his weight around.

So far, everything still seems rushed and it has only just started taking us to interesting places with the main protagonists in terms of their back story and characters.

The whole nina incident was just poor in the way it was handled. Ed and Al fspoiler[inding and seeing the carnage for themselves in some dark and dirty alley way ]was so much more of a powerful scene than how they have done it this time round. I simply find it hard to believe how people are finding this series more enjoyable. Perhaps when the novelty of ' OMG a new FMA series' has worn off, people will start to actually bother to see the content for what it is so far; rushed and unengaging. All IMO of course.

Like I have always said though and as seems to be happening, I will wait and see if this gets better. I just cant shake off the feeling that so far we have all been duped and short changed. It's like the bits we have already seen in the first anime are being skipped over just so we can get to the juicy bits later.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think that the new series does have some pacing issues here and there, but I think it handles a lot of stuff in a more dramatic and emotional way. The scenes of Ed morning Nina seemed much more deep and true than in the original series, really giving the sense that it had taken somethng out of him, and then when Scar attacked his terror seemed much more genuine, rather than just an automatic flee response.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The scenes of Ed morning Nina seemed much more deep and true than in the original series, really giving the sense that it had taken somethng out of him, and then when Scar attacked his terror seemed much more genuine, rather than just an automatic flee response.

I can agree partially with this comment but I will say that both scenes lost thier dramatic effect for me when A: spoiler[the scene where they find the bodies was cut] and B: spoiler[shortly after we are shown a very effective scene detailing Ed's terror, we are shown him running down the street bloody joking]. It negated the power of that scene in one fell swoop. The same goes for the comversation we were shown with Ed talking to Rose about the compostion of the human body in the previous episode; the seriousnous/weight of emotions in the scene were negated by some bloody awful and innapropriate comdey half way through. In both cases we are left with what I can only describe as 'meh'. The characters persona's just become conflicted and unbelivable.

Of course the scene with Nina might be dulled by the way I knew it was coming but then why do I still find the way it was origionally done moving everytime I see it.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
and then when Scar attacked his terror seemed much more genuine, rather than just an automatic flee response.

I both agree and disagree with this. In this last episode, I think what mostly inspired the feeling of terror in that scene, for me, was the music. Otherwise, I was thinking, "Why is Ed so freaked out?" I mean, yeah, he was just attacked, but it's not like he even knew who Scar was, and he's been conditioned to fight and defend himself. The only reason he freaks out at that moment, as far as I can see, is because he was super depressed right before, and probably took a little while to collect his thoughts, but still, I prefer the way the 1st series sets it up. Watching Scar explode Gran's brains inside his skull is a much more convincing reason for him to freeze up in terror, imo. And I don't mind the comedy after that so much, there, it's more the comedy interjected into the sad scenes that ruins things for me, like at the end of the last episode.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:

But let's be honest here, the origional anime was superior in so many ways in terms of how it handled the content shown in the first 4 episodes. I wont sit here and say it is the best thing since sliced bread so far simply becasue it is based on the manga and is new.

I never said this new series was perfect or that it does everything better than the old series but I enjoy what I've seen of it overall more. There are things I enjoyed about the 1st series but I also have a lot of issues with it so it is no surprise that I am enjoying this one more. I mean I have issues with this series too but those are more minor plot points and pacing issues not characterization and relationship issues which are problems I had with the first series. Basically the latter is more important to me than the former hence why I am enjoying this series more. So it's not because this series is new & shiny.

As for Nina I didn't need to have Ed finding Nina's dead body in an alley to be moved. Although yes I liked how the first anime handled the Nina arc overall (except keeping Tucker alive and what came after) I thought the alley scene while sad was a little overkill.

I found Nina crying for her dad (even after what he has done) and Ed and Al's frustration and sadness that even with their knowledge of alchemy they could not fix something like this to be just as moving , maybe even more so.

RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

"Why is Ed so freaked out?"

I admit this bothered me too but the issue is here the director should have followed the manga and have that random soldier get killed by Scar. It was more logical that way too and I liked the irony of him calling out Ed's name when he was trying to warn him about Scar.

Quote:
it's more the comedy interjected into the sad scenes that ruins things for me, like at the end of the last episode.

Shrugs I like the comedy interjected into this last episode, especially the scene with Ed & Al. It gives the sense of hope for me. That sometimes you do have to laugh at the sad things.

Not to mention Ed & Al having a little silly fight before the lecture of Al's words sink in shows that they really are just two teenage boys.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Ikari1 wrote:

But let's be honest here, the origional anime was superior in so many ways in terms of how it handled the content shown in the first 4 episodes. I wont sit here and say it is the best thing since sliced bread so far simply becasue it is based on the manga and is new.

I never said this new series was perfect or that it does everything better than the old series but I enjoy what I've seen of it overall more. There are things I enjoyed about the 1st series but I also have a lot of issues with it so it is no surprise that I am enjoying this one more. I mean I have issues with this series too but those are more minor plot points and pacing issues not characterization and relationship issues which are problems I had with the first series.

JUST BECAUSE the characterization and relationship of the 1st series wasn't faithful to the manga doesn't make them a problem Confused
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it looks like they're going to cram Ed going to get his automail fixed and meeting Dr. Marcoh all in one episode next time. I'm really apprehensive about that, actually. In the 1st series, their going back to Resembool was such a feel good episode, which was especially affective after looking at the episodes it came after. This time, it looks like we'll be outta Resembool in 15 minutes, unless finding Marcoh comes at the very end.

It is actually the other way around. They meet Marcoh on their way to Resembool and then arrive there afterwards. So the first part will most likely deal with Marcoh and the second part and some of episode 7 with Resembool.
If you look at the preview you can see that Al is still destroyed and in a box while talking to Marcoh.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

JUST BECAUSE the characterization and relationship of the 1st series wasn't faithful to the manga doesn't make them a problem Confused

Well let's see for you they were not a problem. For me they were. Many of the changes the 1st anime ended up making in these regards bothered me. Let's just leave it at that.

Just like adding more humor to this series bothers some people but it does not bother me and I actually like it.

People have different opinions I know it's crazy!
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote

RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

"Why is Ed so freaked out?"

I admit this bothered me too but the issue is here the director should have followed the manga and have that random soldier get killed by Scar. It was more logical that way too and I liked the irony of him calling out Ed's name when he was trying to warn him about Scar.

Yeah, it definitely makes a lot more sense with Scar killing the soldier - funny, though, I'm always hearing people say the manga is more about moving forward, staying strong, keeping up hope, etc, etc, but Ed seems so much more pathetic to me this time around than he did at this point in the 1st series.

RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
it's more the comedy interjected into the sad scenes that ruins things for me, like at the end of the last episode.

Shrugs I like the comedy interjected into this last episode, especially the scene with Ed & Al. It gives the sense of hope for me. That sometimes you do have to laugh at the sad things.

Not to mention Ed & Al having a little silly fight before the lecture of Al's words sink in shows that they really are just two teenage boys.

See, that's what the Al's arm falling off bit does for me. That works. Perfect touch. Al punching Ed and Ed doing a dozen little cartoony backflips just earns an exasperated sigh from me. Different strokes for different folks, though.

swordmaster56 wrote:
It is actually the other way around. They meet Marcoh on their way to Resembool and then arrive there afterwards. So the first part will most likely deal with Marcoh and the second part and some of episode 7 with Resembool.
If you look at the preview you can see that Al is still destroyed and in a box while talking to Marcoh.

Ah, yeah, I always get that order of events confused - still apprehensive about it, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This may sound like a stupid question but I was on Funi's site today and didnot see Episode 5 posted on there stream site of the show. I thought it would be up by now. So does anyone know when it will be posted? I know its a weekly thing but didn't they miss last week on it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
TheGoddesswatcher wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but I was on Funi's site today and didnot see Episode 5 posted on there stream site of the show. I thought it would be up by now. So does anyone know when it will be posted? I know its a weekly thing but didn't they miss last week on it.

Tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 64