• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
Ok, so I have a question. If I haven't "gotten" this series after the first 6 episodes am I going to if I continue with it? I know it had alot of hype proceeding it but I didn't really follow why, I just started it because of it. Having tried it I can't really tell why it was hyped at all.

Does it get any better or is this series just lost on me?

Short answer - no. It doesn't get better. Its a fun enough show for me but if you dont like it already i doubt it will improve for you. The show continues with the same type of craziness and weird fanservice as was displayed for the first few episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:

Your questions are orthogonal. Yes it does get better as most good series do but I think it is still lost on you.

This team of animator's schtick is to go for extreme exaggerations in everything they can, just like Panty and Stocking. The violence, the slapstick, the melodrama, the grossness: you name it. The result is obviously not to everyone's taste and it can also be very hard to follow if you are not really into it. So if you are not liking it I wouldn't recommend trying to watch it further.

I am reminded of back in the 70s, loooong before espresso coffee went mainstream with the likes of Peets and Starbucks. I was in Berkeley, where Peets got started and Starbucks was a branch-off from them. Anyway there were coffee houses here and there and one of them had espresso on the menu with the advisory: "if you don't know what it is you don't want it." This anime is sort of like that.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I didn't like it in the beginning either. I was turned off by the weird fanservice and animation. But the characters have grown on me, so now I love this show. It is probably my 2nd favorite fall anime, only behind Nagi no Asukara.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
Ok, so I have a question. If I haven't "gotten" this series after the first 6 episodes am I going to if I continue with it? I know it had alot of hype proceeding it but I didn't really follow why, I just started it because of it. Having tried it I can't really tell why it was hyped at all.

I was not enjoying the series either at for the first half a dozen or so episodes, I did not get what people liked about it. But when it started a small tournament like arc I did find that it was enjoyable and there was less of what I did not like, characters were more likable, and some good fights.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah this show has been amazing from day 1. It's so rare to watch an anime that's actually funny and good with it's comedic timing. It's so rare to see what looks like the animators having fun. The show is pretty fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, they sure skimped on the animation budget this episode, good thing the artistry more than makes up for it. Satsuki's mom was fabulous and the OST was excellent as usual, every character in this show has such great and fitting theme music.

spoiler[Harime Nui sure doesn't f*ck around, wasn't expecting to see her again so soon and especially did NOT expect her cutting Ryuko and Senketsu down so effortlessly. Things just keep getting more interesting. ]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Nui really doesn't waste any time to do her thing. spoiler[I wonder how Senketsu will be fixed. Ryouko has a small piece of him.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Nui really doesn't waste any time to do her thing. spoiler[I wonder how Senketsu will be fixed. Ryouko has a small piece of him.]

I'm guessing she might go on some sort of journey but it's going to take a lot of guts and effort to fix him. But I bet if spoiler[Senketsu] gets fixed, he'll be back stronger than ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

My guess, if what Satsuki ordered comes to pass, is that spoiler[Ryuko is gonna need to defeat everyone who has a piece of Senketsu]. However, with all the other things Satsuki and her minions have going on right now, it's not a guarantee that her orders regarding Senketsu will be carried out before something else happens. The Elite 4 are gone a-conquering, and I'm not sure if Satsuki is remaining at the Academy, either. So, it's possible that Ryuko or someone else might prevent that from happening even spoiler[without having all of Senketsu: she can take out 1-stars alone.]

I suspect, though, that when all is said and done, Ryuko will end up stronger than ever. I sure hope so, because a particular one-eyed bitch needs to get her ass seriously kicked.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I am still distracted by the prospect of going to different schools and beating up the students to get control. It sounds like ridiculous blood shed and although the number of students keeps being shown in ridiculous numbers, would they really have the numbers to keep all schools in line.

Also, it Ryuko spoiler[cut up the uniforms with her sizors, then shouldn't the threads that Nui used to lift them up also be gone rather than her shown controlling them again]?

I always get a little annoyed when heroes have to spoiler[start at the bottom again].
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
It was pretty plainly implied that those schools are secretly Nudist Beach facilities (maybe even HQ) and the true purpose is to force them out in to the open and crush them

Satsuki and her mom seem to be co-operating (or more like Ragyo just indulges Satsuki) for now, but there's definetily conflict brewing there. Also waiting for Junketsu to take on a bigger role, Satsuki's control has to crack at some point.

spoiler[I'm guessing this next part will be about Ryuko (re)learning to rely on her own strength. Maybe she'll officially become part of Nudist Beach? And we'll definetily see Senketsu again, either through Ryuko gathering the patches or he might pull himself together if they remain conscious and aware.]

But then again, things might turn out completely different. This show has already defied my expectations so many times.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Well Senketsu is still the next episode preview narrator so of course he isn't dead! Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
I strongly believe senketsu will come back!
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am still distracted by the prospect of going to different schools and beating up the students to get control. It sounds like ridiculous blood shed and although the number of students keeps being shown in ridiculous numbers, would they really have the numbers to keep all schools in line.

There are a number of places where this show references the Sengoku or "warring states" period when Japan was unified by conquest under the rule of Oda Nobunaga and later Tokugawa Ieyasu. Nobunaga was ousted by a coup and committed suicide at the Honnouji shrine, and the Elite Four are about to be equipped with "SenGoku" uniforms. Now Satsuki is embarking on a quest to unify Japanese schools under her "benevolent" rule.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Matoi was acting totally out of character.
It was weird seeing her lose her way, her goal.
Looks like she's worried about the rampage thing.
I'm awed by cheerfulness of Mako's family.
Damn, Matoi just can't seem to get rid of Nui.
It was the worst possible time for her appearance.
That girl is one scary opponent.
Things didn't turn out predictable this time..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 60