• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
It's entirely about Tomoya, and the different things he encounters to show himself how important a family is.

I agree with everything in this sentence.

This show isn't moe and whoever said Lucky Star is moe deserves to be shot. Lucky Star was KyoAni's attempt to stretch the definition of moe (at least in my book) by making 18 year olds look like lolis.
In addition, it is nowhere along the awesome moe of K-ON!
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
These "moe isn't really a genre" arguments are just nitpickings on semantics. Whether you consider "moe" its own genre or not, I classify any series whose entire focus and purpose seems to be to promote moe characters, behaviors, and style points to be a "moe series."

And I wouldn't count on this being dubbed. If it was going to happen, it would have been done with its initial release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
If Sentai Filmworks fails and goes under Key, I could definitely see FUNi rescuing it and dubbing it for the fans.

Though personally, I don't care. I would have loved there to have been some decent extras on the Clannad collection, but considering I only paid $20 for part one I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, as has been said. Clannad is all about the family. And it should be noted that the girls aren't the only ones who have troubles solved in Clannad. The guys as well have their own troubles.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
Three's Company isn't a sitcom. It's a serious drama that has comedic elements.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
So, this is a show that objectifies and dehumanizes women by portraying them in unrealistic ways? Must be an ultra-violent samurai period drama.

123457474869 wrote:
B, C+? What the f*ck? How is this a good review? Also, Clannad isn't the moe-est show in the world (compare: Lucky Star, K-ON), so it should stop being portrayed as such. Also, the lack of a dub is undoubtedly a good thing, as an English dub would destroy the series beyond repair.
I thought the review was quite reasonable, especially the music grade. Particularly in After Story, the repetition of tracks really dragged things down. I rated Clannad an 8/10 as a fan of the genre, so it's understandable that a "critical" score would be a bit lower.

And please enlighten me on this: how would an English dub "destroy" the series? Perhaps you have the anime dubbing process confused with "dubbing" audio cassettes or VHS tapes by erasing content and replacing it with new recordings. Believe it or not, anime dubbing doesn't do this. Instead, by using the latest breakthroughs in DVD technology, a new English audio track is created and placed right alongside the completely unaltered, unedited, and un-destroyed Japanese audio track. With "interactive menus," you can choose which language you want to listen to, without being forced to hear the English tracks you fear so much.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
It's quite clear Martin is hung up over the moe content with his review, and with that, turned it into instant garbage.

I'm agreeing to disagree with his opinion. There's no way in hell I'd ever give this series anything less than "A+".

This rating comes from the storyline regarding Fuko. All the "moe", "hit counts", and anti-physics laws fighting are all quickly dismissed with this one story.

The cliches are so common, we're used to them. Hell, I can name 20 other anime titles which share the same aspects within Clannad. I'm sure the storyline with Fuko has been done at least once or twice as well.

But this doesn't take away from the series. It adds to it. I loved watching the characters interact. Each has their own issues, but together, accept them. Most of the time, they're part of the show's appeal (the carving challenge was hysterical!).

Since C: AS was brought up, I'll add my two yen with this as well: Who the hell cares about how the story ended! Did this take anything away from having your heart wrenched from your chest?
This series goes beyond the "A+" category simply for that.
Martin mentioned bringing a tissue for the first series. Best grab a box for this one, because you'll need it.

Agree. Disagree. It matters not. You buy what you do because you enjoy the show. It's not like what I wrote here's going to change that, right?

I'm still dumbfounded over the argument regarding "moe" with this series and it seems to take even more away from Martin's "review".

Let's just hope Martin learns from this before he writes his next "review".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Three's Company isn't a sitcom. It's a serious drama that has comedic elements.

And unfortunately that's going to go straight over most people's heads... (I very much appreciated it, though!)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I'd rather hope that fans of these shows would stop making idiots of themselves on forums like this. I keep hoping for this to come to pass, but almost inevitably people will come in and make posts like this. Usually several people. He gave the series a B+ and people are flipping out about "moe hangups" and how a dub would defile their precious series.

While the series certainly wasn't perfect, I'm pretty big fan of Clannd and these types of shows in general. And I really can't see anything wrong with Theron's review, except that I would argue that Tomoyo doesn't really qualify as a tsundere (Kyou, on the other hand...). Some of his comments become less true or outright false later in the series, and his comment about all the girls having psychological issues and such is an (untrue) assumption, but based on what is present in this set, none of it is unreasonable or wrong to put in the review.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'd rather hope that fans of these shows would stop making idiots of themselves on forums like this. I keep hoping for this to come to pass, but almost inevitably people will come in and make posts like this.

Explain to us how our replies makes us idiots, coming from a hypocrite doing the same thing.

Excuse me if I discredited the text I read as not being a review. I come to have a specific expectation when reading something titled as a review.

I could easily forgive the first reference to the moe verbiage, but the additional 4 other times? Sorry, to me, this turns it from a review into a biased soapbox platform.

And I didn't rant against his grade. I simply disagreed with it and why I did.

If this makes me an idiot, try guessing what I think of your post.
Wink

Quote:
And I really can't see anything wrong with Theron's review, except that I would argue that Tomoyo doesn't really qualify as a tsundere (Kyou, on the other hand...). Some of his comments become less true or outright false later in the series, and his comment about all the girls having psychological issues and such is an (untrue) assumption, but based on what is present in this set, none of it is unreasonable or wrong to put in the review.

Wait. You can't see anything wrong with his review, then turn around and categorize those very things you do find argumentative?

Pot, meet kettle, the idiot.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This rating comes from the storyline regarding Fuko. All the "moe", "hit counts", and anti-physics laws fighting are all quickly dismissed with this one story.

. . .

I'm still dumbfounded over the argument regarding "moe" with this series and it seems to take even more away from Martin's "review".

Since, according to you, I have something I need to "learn" here, please elaborate on how the moe busines is "quickly dismissed with this one story" or what you're dumbfounded about over it. Are you trying to claim that this isn't moe? Are you trying to say that the fact it's moe shouldn't matter? Or are you complaining about it being seemingly criticized for its moe elements? If I'm going to learn anything, I need a teacher who speaks clearly and concisely.

Let's also be absolutely clear on one other thing: This is a review of the first half of the first series only, not a review of the series (or franchise) as a whole. If the series improves enough in the second half to pull up the overall score, then my (or someone else's) review of the second half will surely reflect that with higher grades.

Beyond that, sorry, but the first half of Clannad does not do anything near impressive enough to earn an overall A+ rating from me, something I've never previously given to any series. (If you want to see an example of series that have come close in my book, see this review or this review.) You're clearly a member of the group that the series is targeted at, PetrifiedJello, so it's no wonder to me that you think so highly of it, but the comments in this thread should be enough to show that such is far from the universal reaction to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
And I really can't see anything wrong with Theron's review, except that I would argue that Tomoyo doesn't really qualify as a tsundere (Kyou, on the other hand...). Some of his comments become less true or outright false later in the series, and his comment about all the girls having psychological issues and such is an (untrue) assumption, but based on what is present in this set, none of it is unreasonable or wrong to put in the review.

Wait. You can't see anything wrong with his review, then turn around and categorize those very things you do find argumentative?

That's right; I see nothing wrong with his review in the sense that it somehow makes it a bad review. I have one little thing I would disagree with (Tomoyo being a tsundere) but I don't think it makes the review bad. The others are things that would be untrue for the series as a whole (like the story structure part), but not the episodes he is reviewing here.

I love Clannad, I personally thought it was awesome from the get-go, but I can see where he is coming from and don't see anything wrong with the review.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since, according to you, I have something I need to "learn" here, please elaborate on how the moe busines is "quickly dismissed with this one story" or what you're dumbfounded about over it. Are you trying to claim that this isn't moe?

Not at all. I merely pointed out the over use of describing the series as such. To me, and again based on my opinion, I just felt the reviewer put too much emphasis on it.

Quote:
Are you trying to say that the fact it's moe shouldn't matter?

Should it?

Quote:
Or are you complaining about it being seemingly criticized for its moe elements?

Not at all.

Quote:
If I'm going to learn anything, I need a teacher who speaks clearly and concisely.

I was pretty open minded with the review until I read this:
"And really, if you don't have at least a tolerance for moe content then this series, like the others, is absolutely not for you."
I get the reason why it's in there, but not with anime in general.
Let me put it this way: What anime series, set in high school,
doesn't have moe?

Quote:
Let's also be absolutely clear on one other thing: This is a review of the first half of the first series only, not a review of the series (or franchise) as a whole.

Then the reference of the Fuko storyline climax shouldn't be included, given this doesn't end with the first collection.

Quote:
If the series improves enough in the second half to pull up the overall score, then my (or someone else's) review of the second half will surely reflect that with higher grades.

Unless one doesn't like excessive moe. Let's assume the second collection does pull it to an "A+", due to the story and character development.

Pretty sad to have those who dislike moe to dismiss this, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Beyond that, sorry, but the first half of Clannad does not do anything near impressive enough to earn an overall A+ rating from me, something I've never previously given to any series.

As one who has probably seen more titles than most people here, I can justify your reasoning. I still believe I'm allowed to disagree, correct?

Quote:
You're clearly a member of the group that the series is targeted at, PetrifiedJello, so it's no wonder to me that you think so highly of it, but the comments in this thread should be enough to show that such is far from the universal reaction to it.

And therein lies my foundation of the review, Key. Where in the world do you get this show was targeted to me?

If it wasn't for Anime Network's airing of it, I'd have no clue what this series was about. I simply saw a new show listed, watched it, and loved it so much so I had to finish it online. Yeah, call me impatient, but that's just me.

This show's "genre" isn't what I go after. In fact, coming here has shed some light upon which a series is categorized, and it can be helpful in finding related material.

Clannad's genre isn't why I went after Air or Kanon. That distinction goes to Kyoto Animation, whose works I truly enjoy. It's this site which related the two other series in looking for other works. To be fair though, I tend to favor this site for information.
Wink

So, I guess I can expect similar reviews for Air and Kanon?
Razz

I guess I'm just too old school, so please just deal with my arrogance (I did warn you all when I introduced myself). It's my opinion and, quite frankly, it shouldn't upset anyone.

What people see as an attack I merely call constructive criticism.

Sure, it may not be delivered well, but then again, neither was the review as I saw it.

So why such anger?
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me put it this way: What anime series, set in high school,
doesn't have moe?

To answer this rather rhetorical question: Apocalypse Zero.
I really find it a rather silly rhetorical question, because at the top of my head, I can name 8 shows that are set in high school, but don't involve moe.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I love Clannad, I personally thought it was awesome from the get-go, but I can see where he is coming from and don't see anything wrong with the review.

And that's quite alright for you to state this. I've no objection with your agreement of the review.

I just didn't get the idiot reference because people wanted to voice their opinions.

I will state one thing, though. People are really passionate when it comes to defending their likes in anime.
Smile

Labbes wrote:
I really find it a rather silly rhetorical question, because at the top of my head, I can name 8 shows that are set in high school, but don't involve moe.

PM me if needed to stay on topic, but I'm very interested in these 8 shows.

Because if even one shows a schoolgirl in a sailor-style uniform, it can be deemed as moe.
At least, that's why I take from the lexicon definition.

Or did I read too much into the definition?

I'm not afraid to admit some of these genre/classifications are over my head, which is probably why people get upset with me.

Educate me, if you need to. I won't object.
Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Let me put it this way: What anime series, set in high school, doesn't have moe?

A lot don't, especially those made prior to the last few years. Of those that do, very few put anywhere near as strong an emphasis on it, or are as blatant about it, as Clannad and Kanon.

Quote:
Key wrote:
Let's also be absolutely clear on one other thing: This is a review of the first half of the first series only, not a review of the series (or franchise) as a whole.

Then the reference of the Fuko storyline climax shouldn't be included, given this doesn't end with the first collection.

It doesn't? That certainly isn't clear from the first twelve episodes, so refer back to my comment above.

Quote:
Let's assume the second collection does pull it to an "A+", due to the story and character development.

Pretty sad to have those who dislike moe to dismiss this, wouldn't you agree?

Irrelevant question, because the whole series won't get an A+ overall if I'm only giving the first half a B. Besides, getting immensely better in the second half doesn't automatically mean that its appeal will broaden.

Quote:
So, I guess I can expect similar reviews for Air and Kanon?

Um, those were both reviewed quite a while ago; see their respective Encyclopedia pages for links to those reviews.

Quote:
What people see as an attack I merely call constructive criticism.

Sure, it may not be delivered well, but then again, neither was the review as I saw it.

So why such anger?

Oh, I don't know, perhaps it had something to do with this comment (especially since it was specifically directed at me):

Quote:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5