• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
22%
 22%  [ 46 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 60 ]
Indifferent towards them
15%
 15%  [ 32 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
23%
 23%  [ 48 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
7%
 7%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 202

EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
While I have some personal issues with pervious generations, I absolutley adore MLP:FIM, exactly because it's a great show for preschoolers that doesn't bore their caretakers to death.

Having some minors in my familiy and being resopnsible for entertaiment for other little people I must be into shows for all kind and I'd say that first two you listed are good for grown toddlers (2-4). FiMand Sesame Street requires ability to focus on topic for longer time, but they are not beyond the reach of averange 4-6 years old. That's nothing wrong with being a children show.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
While I have some personal issues with pervious generations, I absolutley adore MLP:FIM, exactly because it's a great show for preschoolers that doesn't bore their caretakers to death.

Having some minors in my familiy and being resopnsible for entertaiment for other little people I must be into shows for all kind and I'd say that first two you listed are good for grown toddlers (2-4). FiMand Sesame Street requires ability to focus on topic for longer time, but they are not beyond the reach of averange 4-6 years old. That's nothing wrong with being a children show.

Then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree in this case. I have (significantly) younger siblings, so I've also had to watch a host of programming aimed at younger children. I'm not saying it's wrong that My Little Pony is a children's show--- indeed, I've said I think it's aimed at elementary school girls--- I just think you're skewing too young on this one. I think MLP fits more in the age range of Fairly Odd Parents or Digimon, not Caillou.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
My Little Pony on the same range as Digimon

I musta missed the episode of MLP where Applejack is stabbed through the chest and slowly dies which sends Fluttershy into a spiral of depression where she attempts to commit suicide. Then Twilight Sparkles strips nude and jiggles her boobs to distract some guys and get her way >_>
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:

I musta missed the episode of MLP where Applejack is stabbed through the chest and slowly dies which sends Fluttershy into a spiral of depression where she attempts to commit suicide. Then Twilight Sparkles strips nude and jiggles her boobs to distract some guys and get her way >_>

Uh, yeah, I would have obviously been referring to the English dub of Digimon. Rolling Eyes Seeing as I don't remember any boob jiggling, I'm gonna assume they left that out of the English dub!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Most of the American cartoons I like have already been mentioned, except Archer. Come on, you guys got to step up your game Wink

I own season 1 and 2 tyvm lol. The funny thing is Archer is also Bob from Bob's Burgers Sunday nights on FOX. Watch Archer and then imagine Bob as a super hero, and then watch Bob's Burgers and imagine Archer as the dad. Trippy.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:

Uh, yeah, I would have obviously been referring to the English dub of Digimon. Rolling Eyes Seeing as I don't remember any boob jiggling, I'm gonna assume they left that out of the English dub!

Frankly, I'm a little skeptical that this stuff is in any version of Digimon. Unless they mean Xross Wars maybe? I understand that it was indeed aimed at a relatively older audience (ie. young teens). If we're talking about the earlier seasons though (which is what most people mean when they say Digimon) then I think you're right. Both shows are aimed more or less at elementary school kids.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Nopers. That was in the first few series too. Adventures and Tamers. Xros Wars has tons of that stuff too, and its also for kids. It may even be aimed at younger >_>

spoiler[In Tamers Juri gets depressed after Beelzebumon kills her Digimon partner. Later she tries to strangle/hang herself when D-Reaper is feedin' on her depression, but Culumon stops her]

No way MLP is anywhere near that in terms of characterization. Or plot. preschool show describes it just fine. It's just more Little Bear than Dora the Explorer. MLP still has those forced episodic lessons of the day format like any other preschool show
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you know what, this ridiculous argument has gone on long enough. As I said, I agree to disagree. Congratulations, you win an internet. Can we stop now?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
In the relatively short time I've been an anime fan I've noticed there's a bit of a rivalry with American cartoons. It's not always born of hatred, but the supposed lack of diversity is actually the reason a lot of people gravitated towards anime. Some prefer anime for it's high-quality animation, which I certainly understand since, outside of Avatar, American cartoons aren't exactly visual treats. Then, of course, there is the hatred people have for cartoons for various reasons, and that seems to be one the most popular opinions I see, or it at least has the most outspoken characters. I don't get why someone would hate all American cartoons just like I don't see why someone would hate all anime, but those people exist on both sides.

But I've come here to ask the ANN forums one question: How do you feel about American (or European in some cases) cartoons?

Personally, I love both. I've been watching anime non-stop for four years and have really grown into the fandom, but I've been watching cartoons since I was four, though I'm not really in that fandom. I don't think the problem with America's output is a matter of diversity, but a matter of quantity. That's what drew me to anime: the 100+ new shows a year. As much as I love American cartoons, there's only about a dozen that's not preschool fodder worth watching. And when shows go on season breaks for months at a time, there's nothing to watch in the meantime expect reruns, which is another advantage for anime; when one show ends another immediately takes its place.

I think American cartoons just need more quantity to show it's diversity, but it's just not popular enough for it. I mean, American cartoon fandom certainly cares for and loves it and is big, but they aren't anything compared to otaku. I'm actually a prime example of that. I love Adventure Time and My Little Pony just as much most any anime, but I'm perfectly content with watching it on TV or Netflix. Meanwhile, I've pumped thousands of dollars into my anime collection. It's weird. I know anime is inherently a collector's fandom, but there's merchandise for American cartoon shows, too.

But yea, from Rugrats to Moribito or Avatar to Strike Witches, I love it all.

I have seem many American cartoons during my life. Some excellent, some good, some mediocre and some bad but nothing truly great. When I was a kid I watched many Hanna Barbera cartoons and while they had some very good stuff, nothing was truly great: I watched it and forgot about it a few minutes later.

As as adult the effect is the same: I watched South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy, Archer and other similar TV shows. They are good but forgettable entertainment.

The American cartoons in general are simply at the low end of dramatic impact. The fact remains that animation is generally not treated seriously as a means of articulating a serious fictional narrative with true affecting depth in North America and Europe.

Japan is perhaps the only country in the world where animation is truly developed as a medium. Where all genres exist inside the animated medium and all demographic groups watch animated works.

There are a few exceptions, though, I would cite Aeon Flux and Wall-E as the only two great american animated works that I have watched. But note that both of these works show directly the impact of anime on them: Wall-E is copy and paste from Miyazaki's work (I can even trace many of the scenes from each Miyazaki's films, for instance, the ecological message is taken from Nausicaa, as the ending credits show a mosaic obviously copied from Nausicaa's beginning), while Aeon Flux is obviously inspired by anime TV series.

Differently, anime shows had a much greater impact on myself. When I was 11-12, I remember that good'old Dragonball was the greatest TV show ever made while Scooby-Doo was simply some good forgettable fun. Today is the same: Toy Story 3 is some good but forgettable fun while Spirited Away is a timeless masterpiece of cinema (I watched both films in the same weekend and I noticed the vast discrepancy in the emotional impact they had over me).

In conclusion: American animation is decent but nothing artistically and dramatically powerful. Just some tasty audiovisual junk food. Nothing that I would care to spend time and money to acquire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
I grew up with Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and Adult Swim. While I suppose I feel more nostalgic at Toonami and Adult Swim's action Saturdays during the mid-2000's, I cannot deny that I used to look forward to friday every week. That, I feel, was Cartoon Network's golden age of sorts. I still do like Adult Swim, if only because I have an odd taste for surreal humour. Razz

I also appreciate classic Looney Toons and MGM. Haven't seen them in quite a while. That'll have to change sometime or another. Smile

Still, I suppose that Japanese works just stay with you far better for the reasons Jose Cruz expressed, and I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the otaku in me. Such is why I have yet to accumulate any non-anime animated works in my library just yet. Sad
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz
I find those points very interesting! I find anime makes more of an impression as it has a lot more care put into it. You can usually tell from the art style alone they put their all into the works. And if they mess up during the TV airing, the blu-rays and DVDs are more than willing to go back and re-animated and touch up the art and animation. I do not know of any American cartoons which do that, they tend to leave animation errors in on the DVDs, if it is ever released on DVD. I also believe it helps anime has a much more dedicated and creative community to help it stay with you! The amount of doujinshi created for series is amazing and so far the American fanbase has yet to do anything for their medium like that for even their supposed biggest shows. It's more fun when the fanbase is creative and has such talent to do those things. Leaving shows as memorable journies into another world.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
I love American cartoons, though I admit I love specific ones far more than others.

It isn't the same way I love anime. With anime, I can go crazy over half the shows I watch. There are far less American cartoons where I do that. However, that's not to say I don't fully adore certain series. Right now, Adventure Time is probably one of my favorite shows on TV, more than some anime airing.

As a kid, I used to love the superhero cartoons that they made. The DCAU is phenomenal, and X-Men was pretty good too. Spider-Man hasn't aged as well, but the Spectacular Spider-Man was pretty good. Another nostalgic one--probably hasn't aged well--is Jackie Chan Adventures. Probably not too great now, but, as a kid, I would wake up early every Saturday to see it. Teen Titans and Young Justice are great, and how can you talk about Western cartoons without bringing up Avatar or Samurai Jack? Gargoyles--I can go on with this.

I don't get the obsession with MLP, though.

As for animated film? Huge Disney dork.
Kamaduck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
American animation has a lot of good stuff, it's just that it tends to be aimed at a much younger audience than mainstream anime. I think the best anime is better than the best western animation right now, but good things are being done in both. I'm a fan of several western cartoons- especially AtLA, Invader Zim, and Teen Titans. Something can be aimed at kids and still be a pretty awesome story.

The other thing that holds American stuff back is the lack of material. In a given year, there are dozens of new anime. Some of them are awful and a few are very good. The amount of material means that more titles will fall in the top percentiles. Since there are fewer American cartoons, good stuff comes along less frequently. If animation became more accepted as a storytelling medium, and if more titles were produced, there would be more good American shows. As it is, they exist, but in smaller numbers.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Voted: Dislike most of them (with few exceptions)

Avatar is an obvious pick. It's a freaking masterpiece. I watched the whole show in three sittings (one book per session) and my life feels empty since it's over. It's easily one of my top ten favorite cartoons of all time (anime and non anime. Probably the only one non-anime)

I also actually like superheroes a lot, and I've always particularly liked shows that involve teams of superheroes. Justice League and X-Men I really enjoyed when I was in my early teens. Though in my country, very few episodes of these cartoons were broadcast over and over again (I remember watching a particular X-Men episode about a haunted circus around 7 times), so just now I'm starting to get into them again (more Justice League). I also remember loving Powerpuff Girls, it was awesome

I think a big difference between American cartoons and Anime is that most American cartoons tend to be episodic by nature (Dexter:Invention of the week, Scooby Doo: Ghost of the week, PPG: villain of the week), with no ultimate goal to be achieved and no particular sequence (You could pick up any episode at any moment with no prior knowledge of the show and you still will understand everything that happens), very repetitive in essence (Coyote sets up a trap, Roadrunner turns it against him, Coyote is blown, end) and the animation is very simplistic (for all of this there are exceptions, I'm just referring to the majority -at least the ones that reach my country through Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney Channel)
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Okay, you know what, this ridiculous argument has gone on long enough. As I said, I agree to disagree. Congratulations, you win an internet. Can we stop now?

<_< No need to get mad just because you were proven wrong. it's clear you and ikillchicken never really saw the show.. frankly comparing anime to cartoons is dumb. Just 'cus it's a kids anime doesn't mean it's for kids like a cartoon is and they're comparable. That's what makes anime so appealing to people of all ages and not afraid to not talk down to kids Razz I've yet to see that out of our own cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8