• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do with anime backlog?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Now if Blood- will just explain how he doesn't have a backlog...

My momma brought me up troofull so I'd never make such a preposterous claim. I am not a compulsive list maker by nature, but before I got into anime, I collected quite a large DVD collection of movies and TV shows (I was forced to do this otherwise I would have forgotten what I already owned) and I liked to keep track of which items I had watched. Made sense to carry this over into my anime collection.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
You'll get round to watching everything. Eventually.

I'm trying to stay positive about this huge backlog that I've built up over the years (not just anime, but movies and tv shows as well). I swear, one day when I'm an old lady I will have watched everything Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
@ Kruszer
That makes sense, it works if you do it as you go along. By the time I noticed My Anime List my collection was too large to be worth cataloging and I doubt I would make lists like that in any case.

@Blood-
Ah! a remedy for a poor memory, that makes sense. Laughing I can't say I have every had that problem. I'll admit I've bought some series more than once but it was always on purpose (VHS, DVD singles, complete set, remastered edition or Bluray). I can see where that might be a problem back when you could get stuff at B&M stores, but if you are ordering online you should be able to just go look and see if you have a series before you hit the "buy" button.

I have bought duplicate volumes of manga, but that was because I have to order the stuff two to four months in advance and sometimes forgot what I ordered. Now back when I was hunting back issues of comics I did keep lists. Actually I carried an entire notebook (a modified Day Planner) just to keep track of what I had and what I was looking for. So what ever works for you.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
As far as lists go, I just have the 3 standard ANN anime lists. I only use those to catalog things I'm currently watching on a streaming sites (mostly simulcasts), streaming shows I've dropped, and for the "completed" list I only include the shows I've watched on a streaming site, rented, borrowed, once owned but sold, etc. The anime I have in physical copies, I dont put on the list, and if I eventually buy something I once saw streaming I take it off the list.

As for backlog, as far and dvds/bluray I own, I do have a bit of a pile building up. Not too huge now, but I got some stuff on preorder, so if I dont watch these now, then it will get big. What isnt helping is that I have school on the weekdays, work on the weekends, and Im also trying to keep up with the simulcasts so those dont backlog (and Im admitedly trying to keep up with quite a bit this season. Trying to cut it down a bit).

Im just prioritizing the ones I wanna see most, already got through one show bout a week ago and am halfway through another. Like I said, I got some stuff on preorder, and I'd rather they come when I dont have something else I need to watch.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
five cases of energy drinks and no sleep!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
five cases of energy drinks and no sleep!

Not recommended. Rolling Eyes That'll just screw up your health.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Burn those bridges.

No really, seriously, all it takes is one match stick.

Okay, well, more than a match stick. A bonfire would be better and more efficient. A fireplace would also be fine, but I recommend doing it outside. Trust me, the smell never goes away, and it stains your walls a nasty color, and then you may end up having to buy new furniture, and if things get really crazy then you might have to resort to a fire extinguisher and everything just GOES TO HELL.

If you're lucky, you'll have one of those fire alarms that doesn't go off until smoke fills the room after 10 minutes (which is, what, 90% of the alarms? Saw that on the news recently), so at least you don't have to deal with the noise if you can resolve your issue soon enough.

Of course, if you end up burning down your entire house, at least be satisfied with the fact that NONE of your stuff owns you and your time anymore (especially those ugly old sweaters your grandmam used to give you EUGH I've seen those in your closet - ya know the ones with the shoulder pads? Yah, toss 'em out now). Well, until you get new stuff. But if you're smart you'll become a hobo, because the rest of society would like to live in the peace, safety, and comfort of their own homes without having a crazy, destructive, shame-to-society arsonist/otaku-collector living in their neighborhood. Society is already enough in the crapper with the Honey Boo Boos, and the Twilights, and the Jersey Shores, and we don't need even more sins piled upon us.

Repent you sinful otaku, repent! Repent for making the rest of us "normal" otaku look even worse in the eyes of a "civilised" society falling apart at the seems! Repent for causing such a backlog that you've now become an awful hoarder who's ruining the lives of the rest of your family by owning so much stuff irresponsibly! Repent if you should take the advice of some random nutter on the net and attempt to control the backlog by burning what is precious to you and playing with powers out of your control! Repent!

And all this without a drop of alcohol in me.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
@willag

Oh, I would, I would -- put everything in the fire place and put a match to it, but well, below is a picture of my fire place. It is a bit hard to use. And it is rather wet outside.

EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@willag

Oh, I would, I would -- put everything in the fire place and put a match to it, but well, below is a picture of my fire place. It is a bit hard to use. And it is rather wet outside.

(But keep the Genma-panda and Kero-chan.) Very Happy
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I make backup on my external 2Tb hard drive so if anything happens to them I still have them and not worry about messing up the discs. I dont have nearly the time i did as a teen so i get maybe a few hours of anime a week including newer shows.

I often watch the new stuff that's streaming first as that stuff is online for only a limited time. If it's something I'm willing to buy or rewatch i'll buy it but will most likely not rewatch it for many years since I have a huge backlog as it is of older classic tittles I have yet to get to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The first step of conquering a backlog is to establish a steady anime-watching regimen. Can you reliably watch 3 episodes a week? Can you do it every single week, minus some times when life interferes? The ony way to get through it is to watch it. You should also be prepared to take advantage of surprise down time (like what Sandy created for some of us). The second step is to not add to the list. If you really want to reduce your backlog then you have to curb or even stop your anime buying/acquisitions. After all, buying faster than we watch is how most of us got into this situation in the first place.

After that, you just have to decide what's best for you. Making a priority list helps (mine has four categories: high, medium, low, and rewatch - stuff I watch then bought but haven't watched my own DVDs of). This way you can just focus on the high-priority stuff and it won't seem as daunting. Focusing on one series at a time helps for me, as it feels like it takes forever to watch three 26-episode series at once. Watching the longer series first can be fruitful if your backlog has a lot of episodes on it, while prioritizing short series will reduce the number of titles on your list faster. Of course, I believe it's healthy to have some backlog (enough for a snow day or two).

Oh, and never forget - this is supposed to be fun! If watching your backlog feels like a chore, you're probably watching the wrong show.

How do you deal with your backlog? One disk at a time.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a backlog of 1200 titles, and they are all physical releases. I win right?
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
I have a backlog of 1200 titles, and they are all physical releases. I win right?
Dangit, you live in Virginia. Sneaky plan to befriend FaytLein and borrow anime is a bust....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4