• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
wish they would have re-casted Arron Dismuke as Al. Well let's hope his new actor will beable to protre Al the same way Arron did. Arron is still leader of the Armor Army, so Al's new actor better not become leader of the fan club.

As someone named Aaron (note the two A's and one R), I am deeply offended by every Arron you typed there. I know that is a proper spelling, but I've never met a single person who spelled it another way (excluding chicks and Erin). Let me get some duct tape and gorilla glue so I can repair the damage you did to Dismuke's and my awesome name.

Might as well add something to the thread. I've had very little interest in X and have never had any interest in Initial D, so despite my love for Funimation and their "no sub only sets for us" announcement, these two are a no buy. On the other hand, FMA:B was already a buy because I was pretty sure they'd get the cast back. I mean, they did get most of the gang for Tenchi Muyo and the main crew of Slayers so I had no doubt. Even if they didn't get them back, I'd still get it because it's pretty much a different show and I'd understand a new cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
I was wondering when FUNi would actually start work on the dub and get some dvds out, already. I mean, the series already has 24 or so episodes out.

We are streaming the broadcast. We record the English dub from the DVD/Blu-ray video master tapes.

After broadcast, most times the episodes get tweaks like reanimation of a scene, adding detail to backgrounds and even audio tweaks. What you see on DVD is different than broadcast so we record from the DVD/Blu-ray video master tapes.

There is a time delay on broadcast to home video.

The DVD/Blu-ray of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is just now being released in Japan. Volume 2 is be available for sale next Wednesday, September 30th. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANSB-6102
Volume 2 contains eps 3-6.

I hope this answers your question.

Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
Lance
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
We heard you the first time, Mario Rolling Eyes

Sounds like Aaron's going to be Ling. That will be awesome. Now all we need is Carrie Savage as May.

Side note: What has Maxey Whitehead done for FUNi?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Side note: What has Maxey Whitehead done for FUNi?

She was Czeslaw in Baccano and Antonio in Romeo x Juliet. Very talented, very awesome.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Maxey's credits can be access if you go to the article and click the hyperlink (but here's the url person#73304 ) Anyone who has seen Baccano! at this point knows her as Czeslaw Mayer. Personally, I wasn't as impressed as others seem to be with her in that roll but she is a good actress and should do fine as Al (I had been hoping for a female replacement here, as well, so at least that happened). As for Aaron, I also figured he would have to be replace not only because his voice has dropped but because he himself had mentioned several times (in interviews, cast commentaries at at conventions) he wouldn't be able to do the roll now. I am happy to hear that he will have a large part in the series and I do hope it is Ling. That's the character I've been hoping he would be re-cast in since this show was announced. While Aaron's voice has dropped he can still act and he's done a good job in the shows I've heard him in since the voice change happened.

For those worried about Luci and Monica, there are several larger female parts that aren't in the original show, so they will most likely be up for those rolls if they want to be in this series. As for Damon Clarke - I've read his career in front of the camera is doing quite well. Just check out is IMDB listing http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0163806/ ! [Dang! I recognize him now I've finally seen a picture of him - I didn't realize that was the same person (never caught his name in TV shows before so I never connected it).] Anyway, a in front of the camera career is what most actors are striving for, whether they are voice actors or just regular actors. So I can't blame him for not being able to return to the roll (he probably just can't find the time to do it).

Forgot something - the discussion on CCS. IMO, if Funimation could get CCS they'd dub it. The problem with CCS, from what I gather, is a bit more complicated than someone making a dub for it and the real issue would be can Funimation get the rights (if they're interested, of course) verse whether they'd dub it or not (IMO they and a few of the other companies, are probably interested but at this point they can't either afford the show or something else is hanging stuff up).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The big news for me is Initial D: Third Stage and Fourth Stage finally getting an American release. Since I'm a sub watcher, I didn't mind buying that First Stage boxset Funimation released a couple of years ago, collecting the first 9 Tokyopop volumes. Now I guess I'll finally get around to buying the Second Stage boxset, which also includes Extra Stage. Better late than never, I guess.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well to those who may have been in the reatil section recently I said I wouldn't buy series because Funi might grab it. This is why- they could pick up anything at anytime.

So I'm going to sit back for awhile before I trying to get older series.

I am happy about the Initial D series though. I've wanted to see it for some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
OMG OMG OMG

I can't believe they licensed the rest of Initial D!!! I've watched my first two box sets like 4 times through, it'll be sooo wonderful to finally have licensed DVDs of 3rd and 4th stage!!

I hope a new release will encourage more people to check it out. Initially (lol pun) I was COMPLETELY turned off by the art style and uninterested in the subject matter... now it's one of my all time favorites, a show that can still get me excited even after watching it so many times :) It also got me into cars, and now I'm the happy owner of a 240SX ;DDD

INITIAL D FOREVER!!!!! *extreme happy dance*

ALSO - Putting in yet another vote for another CCS release. I'll even take sub only, just RELEASE IT!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It does not shock me at all that the dub cast for the new FMA series is basically the same as the first one's. It was, despite my grumblings, a very popular dub, and they'd have riots on their hands if Vic wasn't Ed.

I am pretty upset that one of the few voices I liked in the dub, Aaron Dismuke, has been replaced as Alphonse, but it was to be expected.

I'm glad they at least replaced Scar. Replacing Pinako was sort of pointless. I hope Christine Auten continues to play Izumi.

I wonder who they'll get for Ling. Guest star Johnny Yong Bosch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="penguintruth"]It does not shock me at all that the dub cast for the new FMA series is basically the same as the first one's. It was, despite my grumblings, a very popular dub, and they'd have riots on their hands if Vic wasn't Ed.
I am pretty upset that one of the few voices I liked in the dub, Aaron Dismuke, has been replaced as Alphonse, but it was to be expected.
quote]

Vic's Risembool Ranger's would go riot to Funimation studios.

I'm sad about Aaron, but atleast he'll have some part in the serise.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Really psyched to hear about Funi getting all of Initial D, but I'm also somewhat bummed. I own all the volumes that Tokyopop released with the original dub. Now I'm going to have to get the entire series all over again, just to keep consistency with the dub cast. Sad

I hope they're able to re-acquire the original cast. I'm sure Crispin Freeman is up for replaying Iketani. Wink
RommieSG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the double post. Was getting some weird 'mail' errors. Confused
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how the X OAV will fair because it came out in Japan nearly 16 years ago. As many of us may or may not know, that is very old by anime licensing standards.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
*falls off her chair*

Oh God, I lost almost all my X TV dvds last year when they mysteriously disappeared. I haven't found them to this day. I am SO happy to have the chance to re-buy them again! I thought the TV series was (from what I saw of it) fantastic compared to the ....bleh, movie.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Now if Clamp would hurry up and finish the manga. I have only seen the X movie (cheesy UK dubbing)but should watch the TV show (I have seen clips of it though) sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8