• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You now realize that was the work of fansubbers, and won't be addressed at all in the DVD. And it wasn't merely just putting a TL note like DVDs would do, it was meticulously work of erasing the Japanese and typesetting the English back in.
Exactly the kind of thing many hardcore fans decry when the licensors do it. I remember VIZ getting all kinds of rage from Bleach fans for just adding a hardsub translation in addition to the Japanese text in a few scenes. (Like an early ep where Rukia had something written on her hand.)

It's really kinda funny to me how many fans seem to have no idea that fansubbers can and do make changes to the video and re-write lines for their subs. Another thread a while back had Zalis pointing out that several groups had been running their raws through a program to upscale the video and how it led to fans attacking the inferior R1s because the licensors just used the Japanese masters. (I don't remember what series he mentioned or if it was a general thing.)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt ANY company would be willing to do that. Almost every episode was littered with this stuff.
Plus a company would be hammered for it rather than praised. I mean, there are fans who flip out over not having Kanji credits.

Meh, I'm glad I wasn't interested in this one. I'm pretty surprised at all the posters going "will it be dubbed?" though. No, it won't. That's the default answer nowadays people. Just take your hope about a dub into a dark alley and quietly put two in it's head.

Trust me, once you learn not to get excited about any license until you have all the details, you'll be happier.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
A lot of anime are still upscales, but genuine 720p raws are also out and around.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Megiddo wrote:
SZS is a great show. I hope there is an extensive amount of cultural notes and perhaps a separate subtitle track for all the chalkboard stuff.
This is Media-Blasters we're talking about here, a company that has never bothered with with subtitle formatting beyond "italic or not italic" or positioning outside of the bottom of the screen. We might see some printed liner notes a la Genshiken, but I seriously doubt that any of the background text will be addressed at all. That's why I was hoping that Sentai or Nozomi would get this show, because they would've done it justice.

But the older the title, the more it slides into MB's territory. They seem to be of the school of older (cheaper) titles they can pay next to nothing for & produce cheaply to make their profit. My vision of them has always been something akin to those guys selling stuff out of the backs of their van/at swapmeets. They may not have a real idea of what they're selling, but they know their profit margin so they throw the whole thing in ther-extras & all. They just don't really do English extras like commentaries, etc.
They are one of my favorite companies for all the extras they give us & the cheaper price they usually wind up at.

Zalis116 wrote:
@CCSYueh -- Otogi Zoshi has been out as a complete collection for awhile; I bought a 6-DVD-case+artbox version back in 2006.

Ah, then this is one I'm slightly interested (Shinichiro Miki I believe plus the historical era arc) & have been waiting out a cheaper box.
I have always hated buying the singles & about the time the last one comes out they announce a box. I believe a couple times the box & the last single came out almost simultaneously. (I think Princess Princess did someting like that to me
So frustrating.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What?

No. The background text is nearly all Japanese.

So, was that the fansubbers' work? I watched all the seasons but don't recall any Japanese text. Either way, if the fansub group did it, I'm sure a licensing company wouldn't really be troubled over something a group of 5 or less did during their free time.
I'd love for that to happen, but it just isn't likely.

Heck, just look how much text are in the openings alone.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Kind of sad too, cause one of my favorite parts of the first series were those rants during the opening theme.

That's not hard work. I can, and have done stuff like that with Aegisub. That's about 15 minutes work minus the Karaoke.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Skyhawk wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What?

No. The background text is nearly all Japanese.

So, was that the fansubbers' work? I watched all the seasons but don't recall any Japanese text. Either way, if the fansub group did it, I'm sure a licensing company wouldn't really be troubled over something a group of 5 or less did during their free time.
I'd love for that to happen, but it just isn't likely.

Heck, just look how much text are in the openings alone.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Kind of sad too, cause one of my favorite parts of the first series were those rants during the opening theme.

That's not hard work. I can, and have done stuff like that with Aegisub. That's about 15 minutes work minus the Karaoke.

Then you can translate pretty dang fast I must say.

That's more words than in a typical manga chapter.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt ANY company would be willing to do that. Almost every episode was littered with this stuff.

It isn't really possible with DVD technology to do this without either:
a) Hardsubs
b) ADVidnote style extra sub track
or c) similar to Negima?!, stills with the translations as an extra on the DVD.
Pretty much every one of these takes an absurd amount of time.
The only good news is there is a wiki or two out there dedicated to the references which makes the research part easy.

Skyhawk wrote:
It should take you two. It's just a partially matched colored text box placed over the original with the sub placed over that box. (Note the original has a slight gradient.)
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
It'd be a travesty if they're dubbing Queen's Blade but not SZS.

They just know which series will be getting them the sales they need to keep operating.

And watching a series like Queen's Blade with subtitles is "distracting" Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY THEY GOT SAYONARA ZETSUBOU SENSEI!
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Skyhawk wrote:
It should take you two. It's just a partially matched colored text box placed over the original with the sub placed over that box. (Note the original has a slight gradient.)

I included the time it takes to grab the text, outline and background color and the time it takes to decide which font to use for the style. Yes, actually typing the text after you get it from the translators and doing the placement would actually only take about 2 minutes but that is still pushing it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't use that example to showcase amazing typesetting.

Rather I used it to showcase dedicated translators who translated nearly three full screens of Japanese text that appear for less than a second when playing the video normally.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've greatly enjoyed the manga of SZS, and this license makes me extremely happy. I had a fairly dim view of anime releases after the current releases would end, but with what I'm seeing, I have no fears about whats coming down the pipe now.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I was looking forward to getting this too. Oh well.. =\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
sypherman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this finally got licensed shame about the dub though, the right script could have really propelled this series.

Last edited by sypherman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
If they wanted to appeal to a more wider audience, they can make a japanese audio w/ proper english subtitles, with or with out TL notes, then do what ADV did with ghost stories, where ghost stories was a scooby doo type horror anime with japanese mythical creatures, and they kept the core of the show the same, but gave the english dub a fresh new comedic style of dialog using american pop culture,
I think that could work
Momoko_Kuzuryuu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the jokes would be hard to understand for SZS....but I think a dub would be great. I don't mind reading subtitles, it just really hurts your eyes after a while. Anime dazed
Come on~ dub. ><
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7