• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for this announcement because I wasn't sure whether or not I sure get Mnemosyne now or later. Most likely from now on I will wait a while after the DVD release for Funi licenses.

As far as the whole upscale debate goes, well yes, a lot of material from Funi is an upscale -- but certainly not "99%" Rolling Eyes

In fact, since Funi won't say (and probably never will), no one can know until after the BD is released either here or in Japan.

Some titles that people expect to be uscales turn out not to be. For example, the first Gunslinger Girl on BD is an upscale, BUT its sequel GG- Il Teatrino is native HD on BD, despite being broadcast as an upscale.

Anyways, I would still prefer a BD that is a clean upscale from source + filtering, prior to encode, over a DVD that will be upscaled on playback anyways amplifying DVD noise and artifacts.

Last edited by configspace on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Definitely buying Eden of the East on BD.

Might buy Casshern Sins too.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Glad I waited on buying RIN, also yay for finally getting some news on an Eden of the East release!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Simply put: the reason why people get upset about FUNI leaving out an angle for the original credits is that the Japanese cast gets no recognition. Editing title cards should have gone the way of hard subs, which many consider censorship, but hey...
Katane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi will do Fumoffu in Blu-Ray next since they're releasing the first one on Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
Well, my question is whether Mnemosyne will be an upscale. As on OVA, there's a decent chance that they didn't bother doing better than 480i. But it is fairly recent and it would sure look good in HD. Here's to hoping that it's actually HD.

The other question would be Black Cat, but I think the timeframe that it came out almost guarantees that it'll be an upscale. At least on some of them - like Cassern and Eden of the East - it's virtually a guarantee that they'll be true HD. Eventually, as the BDs coming out become primarily newer stuff, they'll stop being upscales. But at least Funimation is putting them out on BD. If only they'd actually post a list somewhere with which releases are upscales and which not...

In any case, this is definitely good news. I feel a little dumb for already buying Mnemosyne since I figured that they'd be putting it on BD one of these days soon, but it was just too good to wait... Oh well. That's one which is worth double-dipping on.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
I wonder if Funi will do Fumoffu in Blu-Ray next since they're releasing the first one on Blu-Ray.

I believe that when they announced that they'd picked up the licenses for FMP and FMP: FUMOFFU, they said that they were planning to put both on BD. It's likely only a matter of time. We can probably expect it by the end of the year, but we'll have to wait and see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quick question: is there any way to determine from spec information provided by a distrib whether a BD is an upscale or taken from an HD source? Or does this info depend on you knowing whether the show in question was originally created/broadcast in HD?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quick question: is there any way to determine from spec information provided by a distrib whether a BD is an upscale or taken from an HD source? Or does this info depend on you knowing whether the show in question was originally created/broadcast in HD?

It is not usually obtained from publisher spec, and original release time is usually a good indication. However, if the original digital masters still exist, there is nothing to stop them from going back and re-encoding them at a higher resolution.

One easy way to find out if it should be from HD masters is to check the credits. If those two magical letters are in someone's title, then let the good times roll (after checking the reviews to make sure it was a good transfer.)
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
mckg1 wrote:
Awesome, Blu ray for me!!! FMP! season one, Eden of the east, and RIN for me! Very Happy Maybe Eva 1.11 aswell

Shame that 99% of FUNimation Blu-Rays are Upscales and 100% of new releases from FUNimation don't retain the Original Opening & Closing Credits and Episode titles.
Dude who cares You are just saying that because you dont even buy anime on Blu Ray and watch fansubs and tell your self that you are an anime fan, yea right, you really dont know a thing do you.Get your facts strait before you start posting random s#%t. Funi and Bandai are the only Anime companies that are going to start releasing Blu Ray on the same date as the DVD release, and that 99% is not even close. they only upscale when their is no native HD for the Title. Next time you post, post things that are true and not Bulls*#t like you are doing right now.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Simply put: the reason why people get upset about FUNI leaving out an angle for the original credits is that the Japanese cast gets no recognition. Editing title cards should have gone the way of hard subs, which many consider censorship, but hey...

1- You are ignoring that except for in very rare cases, that Japanese cast members are listed in the translated credits.

2- That isn't what censorship means, and even if it did, it still wouldn't apply here, because once again, the information is almost always there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Blood- wrote:

It is not usually obtained from publisher spec, and original release time is usually a good indication. However, if the original digital masters still exist, there is nothing to stop them from going back and re-encoding them at a higher resolution.

One easy way to find out if it should be from HD masters is to check the credits. If those two magical letters are in someone's title, then let the good times roll (after checking the reviews to make sure it was a good transfer.)

Thanks for the info, bglassbrook. It seems like BD publishers should be required to say clearly on the box if a BD is an upscale or taken from an HD master. Seems like a pretty important spec to me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm amped for Casshern on BD.

Everything else... I don't know. The Claymore Blu-Ray was a pretty crummy upscale and the only redeeming thing I can say is that it actually cost less than the DVDs. If i'm not 100% sure that a show was made and broadcast in legit HD, I'm not buying it unless it cost less than the DVD.

Having said that, it's good to see Funi really pushing so many Blu-Ray releases.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mmmm, delicious upscales. I wonder when FUNi will ever get a BluRay that was a remastered from film.

Most of these shows won't be upscales, just like Evangelion 1.11 isn't an upscale. I watched that bluray myself a few days ago and it looks fantastic, because it's from an HD source. Looks just as good as any other animated film on Bluray.

As has been said, Eden of the East and Casshern Sins at least are both HD shows - Lance Heiskell mentioned Casshern on our podcast a few months back specifically as one of their upcoming Bluray titles mastered from an HD source. So those won't be upscales, they'll be full HD.

I realize people are all up in arms about upscales, but you're a smart guy and should know better than to just toss out the "these will all be upscales!!" when you know full well the issue with prior releases is that there were no HD or film sources available and thus they couldn't be mastered in full HD, and now they're moving on to release shows that do have HD masters.

At least be fair and get your facts straight. Kinda sick of the blanket whining that ignores the facts.

Be that as it may, it doesn't help that you can't just look at the box and figure it out. Having to do research to figure out whether or not my HD is actually HD is weak, not to mention the fact that they're not even willing to do an upscale without "cleaning-up" the digital grain.

Not exactly setting a good precedent when the impressive work FUNi does is the work they're least involved in.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to get excited over more bluray when it's coming from Funimation. We get it in HD, but the audio and video will likely be terrible. At least it's a step up from their bootleg quality dvds though.

I will probably grab FMP, but the rest are either terrible shows (Black Cat), not worth double dipping (Guyver), or shows I just don't care about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6