• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network to Launch 1st Simulcast, Oreimo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanners

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Oh yeah, watch it on ANN. Don't download the pirated copies (it's simulcast, so I don't consider them "ethical fansubs").

Will the simulcast be available outside of North America?
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
could be worth a watch might just watch it to support ANN's streaming endeavor.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Hanners wrote:
tempest wrote:
Oh yeah, watch it on ANN. Don't download the pirated copies (it's simulcast, so I don't consider them "ethical fansubs").

Will the simulcast be available outside of North America?

Probably not, so we'll have to go for the unethical.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I"ve already weighed in on Oreimo in the Fall Preview thread, but I wished I'd saved it for this one! I like the show; I find it basically pretty cute. But I am a perv myself and I recognize when somebody is pushing perv buttons, albeit in subtle fashion. Check out the little sister's intro: she's laying belly down on the couch, talking on the phone, wearing "cute" clothes. I'm generally not a huge fan of feminist criticism, but I recognize the "male gaze" when I see it. As I mentioned in the other thread, we see the little sister straddle her brother in bed and slap his face to wake him up - twice. Yeah, that can be construed as an "innocent" scene I guess, but I detect a whiff of pandering.

Anyway, I'll be FASCINATED by what ANN reviewers have to say, heh.

I think you might be being hypersensitive on this one. The "pan" on the sister wasn't at all lingering, as is often the case. Rather, it was a fast-paced woosh, followed by a (non-)exchange that established the strained relationship between her and her brother. And the nighttime rendezvous? spoiler[Those were setups for the gag emphasizing that there is nothing going on between the two. Yes, the animators were playing on the idea that an otaku's mind is immediately going to go somewhere dirty, but that's the whole point of the joke.] At least, that's my take on it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I"ve already weighed in on Oreimo in the Fall Preview thread, but I wished I'd saved it for this one! I like the show; I find it basically pretty cute. But I am a perv myself and I recognize when somebody is pushing perv buttons, albeit in subtle fashion. Check out the little sister's intro: she's laying belly down on the couch, talking on the phone, wearing "cute" clothes. I'm generally not a huge fan of feminist criticism, but I recognize the "male gaze" when I see it. As I mentioned in the other thread, we see the little sister straddle her brother in bed and slap his face to wake him up - twice. Yeah, that can be construed as an "innocent" scene I guess, but I detect a whiff of pandering.

Anyway, I'll be FASCINATED by what ANN reviewers have to say, heh.

I think you might be being hypersensitive on this one. The "pan" on the sister wasn't at all lingering, as is often the case. Rather, it was a fast-paced woosh, followed by a (non-)exchange that established the strained relationship between her and her brother. And the nighttime rendezvous? spoiler[Those were setups for the gag emphasizing that there is nothing going on between the two. Yes, the animators were playing on the idea that an otaku's mind is immediately going to go somewhere dirty, but that's the whole point of the joke.] At least, that's my take on it.

So what did you think of the scene where they showed an image from one of the erogames that showed an obvlously loli character sleeping beside her onii-chan with her dress hiked up so that her panties were visible? Again, I don't want to portray this as some kind of over-the-top show - it's not, at all. But the animators are having their cake and eating it too with their little "jokes" as far as I'm concerned.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I guess I'll give it a try, but I usually automatically avoid anything with something like "My Little Sister..." in the title.

Trust me, this isn't siscon. You might actually like it. I finally saw episode 1 (we had to license this site-unseen, but I read the novel sinopsii first), and it's quite amusing, and not the least bit disturbing.

[Licensee warning]
I'm not press or editor in chief when it comes to this show. Zac and Egan have been instructed to take no direction from me regarding coverage of this show (see my next post).I am required to have nothing but good things to say about the show, but I'm also not going to lie about it. I'm not going to say "I like this about it" if I don't. I just won't be telling you what, if anything, I don't like.[/warning]
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So what did you think of the scene where they showed an image from one of the erogames that showed an obvlously loli character sleeping beside her onii-chan with her dress hiked up so that her panties were visible? Again, I don't want to portray this as some kind of over-the-top show - it's not, at all. But the animators are having their cake and eating it too with their little "jokes" as far as I'm concerned.

As I mentioned in the preview thread, that's what eroge looks like. If you're going to make an anime that revolves around such subject matter, you're probably going to have to actually depict it at some point. It's not like the animators included a shot of a little sister character @#$% her brother's @#$% while he's @#$#%$ her @#@#%. They haven't even reach Genshiken levels of naughtiness yet, which did include adult scenes (the joke there was that it was all pixelated) and characters masturbating.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I think it's clear the main concern is incest, not fanservice. There's barely any typical fanservice in the first episode (the inclusion of a multitude of references to various visual novels and other otaku merchandise is fanservice of another form).

Without spoilering, I'll tell you that incest is only mentioned as a joke and misunderstanding, or in relation to the games that one of the characters like (see, I'm really avoiding spoilers).

There's a surprising development at the end of book 6 (I don't think the anime will get that far (season 1 at least)), and I'm interested to see how the author handles it in book 7, but given the first 6 volumes, I'm confident we have nothing to be concerned about.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
I wan't to hear Justin's reaction. He complains now about all the stuff that he posts, how about a simulcast? I think in a previous Anncast he said he dreaded doing a one.

Justin's challenge is the raw quantity of content he's been posting.

We currently have two machines doing transcoding 24/7.

The simulcast, while it does present some new challenges, isn't a big addition to the wordload.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
For all the people who ask about "when & where" we'll be announcing that on Wednesday.

Yes, sadly we won't be simulcasting this within 24 hours of the Japanese broadcast. We tried, but... More on that later.

For the people asking about reviews, we will not be telling our reviewers how to review this.

We may institute a policy that we don't review our own shows (in which case the reviewers are free to post reviews on their own blogs), this is still up for debate.

I'm going to expand on this in another thread shortly.

-t
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
This is hilarious. Can't wait to hear what Zac has to say about this. Laughing

I swear once I read the news, I could hear Zac's soul die a little.

I guess technically it has a moe aesthetic, but OreImo always gave me the impression that's it is more in league with series like Haruhi or Toradora rather then series like K-on!, Lucky Star, or Working!. YES a very thin line (and I like Lucky Star, a very arguable "moe" series), but the art style always gave me the impression that story wouldn't be scarficed for the "moe" moments. Of course, there's only been 1 episode so who knows.

Anyways congrats guys! Guess that means I'll be signing up for another subcription.

That's odd it's K-on! that you should be singling out, not Lucky Star (which is fairly straight up about being a moe show). It's barely moe at all, the most moe bit being its ED credits. Haruhi is, it's because of Haruhi that most of us started to use the word anyway; although it has parody elements it's still itself moe (as with Lucky Star).

The manga for this runs in Dengeki G's, it's moe. End of story. Tsundere, little sister, top profesional model and who (alegedly not for freudian reasons) has a little sister fetish.
It's still hilarious but there's definatly heavy moe elements. Thankfully our protagonist has no interst in his sister and I assume it's going for the comedy angle. Making sure the strict anti-otaku policeman father doesn't find out is going to see a fair bit of use, I guess.

If you want actual incest there's Yosuga no Sora
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
It's not like the animators included a shot of a little sister character @#$% her brother's @#$% while he's @#$#%$ her @#@#%.

Omigod, that's so filthy! Wink Look, this is going to be very much an individual, personal interpretation thing. I want to be very clear and not mischaracterize this show: I think it is about 95% innocent. But I do think the creators are being somewhat sly - they are clearly savvy enough that I doubt they'll ever do anything completely obvious - there will always be a plausible deniability for everything. But I think in some instances they are pandering beyond what is strictly needed given the premise of the show. Just my 2 cents.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Yes, sadly we won't be simulcasting this within 24 hours of the Japanese broadcast. We tried, but... More on that later.

not reallly a simulcast then lol. good stuff anyway. I've NEVER watched anything on ANN to be honest so I can't comment on the site's quality but the show itself ..based on episode 1 is pretty awesome. I just hope ANN doesn't censor anything because that's no fun. I have no doubt this show will do well so nice job getting the "simulcast"
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
not reallly a simulcast then lol. good stuff anyway. I've NEVER watched anything on ANN to be honest so I can't comment on the site's quality but the show itself ..based on episode 1 is pretty awesome. I just hope ANN doesn't censor anything because that's no fun. I have no doubt this show will do well so nice job getting the "simulcast"

We won't censor ANYTHING!

We were even going to post Queen's Blade uncensored, but those talks went no where.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
No matter what the show, more simulcasting is always a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8