• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Where are you watching Oreimo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the ANN stream, but on my DSL line, the bulk of the show goes through fine, but the opening gets very jittery, and pausing doesn't seem to build up a buffer. I wouldn't spend money for a hi-def streaming version, as that would just make problems worse. I'm not so enamoured of streaming video to spring for internet access over cable -- I can wait for DVDs to come out.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first episode of Oreimo on ANN, I'm no longer watching it on ANN because I thought the quality of the subtitling was poor. I'm not really talking about the translation, which I thought was fine. The things that bothered me were:

1. I noticed two sentances with a missing word.
2. The black background behind the subtitles for one part of the episode.
3. A translation note at one point that I felt was more distracting than helpful.
4. The lack of subtitles for onscreen text in some places where I would have wanted it.

The first two in particular are what made me stop watching the series on ANN. To me it seemed like the quality of the subtiting and proofreading of the text was worse than what I would expect with a fansub, let alone a professional job.

Keep in mind though that I dislike watching simulcasts (I usually watch things once the entire show is available), prefer watching things on DVD to streaming, and would never pay more money for a high definition streaming version when a regular version is free, so I was never in the market for the premium version to begin with. I also find the ads in ANNs player annoying (though not enough that I would pay just to get rid of them). Particularly, I don't like getting the same ad multiple times per episode, and I don't like getting an ad when I try to skip to a later part of the episode after having only watching a short clip. All those factors probably also contributed to me stoping watching Oreimo on ANN.

If I knew that future episodes would be better proof-read and not have a black background behind subtitles, then I might start watching it on ANN again. I do regularly watch other shows on ANN, though I will generally watch the things I most want to see on DVD if they get a DVD release here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Oreimo isn't that great, but what should happen: "There's an app for that."

Given the content of certain previous surveys, and Tempest's comments earlier in the thread, I imagine there are just such plans.

Obviously the same is true for Android... Right? (not that it matters to me given where I am)

Of course. App is a generic term. Maybe you can "unlock" your phone and use a spoofing app? Very Happy

Otherwise, I'd just save the file on my mobile phone and take it with me.

tempest wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Was an explanation ever given as to why it takes you guys 6 days after the Japanese airing to simulcast Oreimo? I'm just curious whats the reasoning behind this.

Yeah, earlier in this thread.

We're not allowed to show it before all the Japanese networks have aired it, and the final Japanese airing is 6 days after the first one.

Even in Japan that's not an optimal solution, Japanese fans who don't live in Tokyo are watching online raws instead of waiting to watch it when it airs in their city.

In America, syndication is dead, and national networks reign supreme, not like when Sailor Moon first came over. So such a delayed arrangement for new shows is unheard of nowadays.

As another example, not all of the Nippon Pro Baseball championship series was on national broadcast just because one of the teams could not secure a deal with its local broadcast station. A significant championship not on national broadcast? That's almost unheard of.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Even in Japan that's not an optimal solution, Japanese fans who don't live in Tokyo are watching online raws instead of waiting to watch it when it airs in their city.

Isn't Oreimo streaming on NicoNico Douga though? Or do they stream it 6 days after it airs too?
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Digital streaming is the path forward for all the entertainment industry, not just anime. That being said, I am a dinosaur. Anime, for me, does not exist to simply entertain and then be tossed aside. I collect anime, or perhaps more correctly, I horde anime. And I do this because I like to go back and rewatch these stories. I don't rewatch everything, but I like to know that if I wake up one morning with the intense urge to marathon Sasameki Koto, I can. And that is the one reason why I don't stream anime: I don't trust it to stay. You airing Ore no Imouto same week is great, but I have busy schedule and often don't have time to more than one or two shows a season. So how do I know that 6 months from now, when I finally have the time to watch Ore no Imouto, it will be still be available? How do I know that 1 year from now, when I want to see that hilarious scene from the fifth episode again, it will be still be available? How do I know that 2 years from now, when I get the urge to rewatch the series, it will be still be available? How do I know that 5 years from now it will still be available to show to a new anime fan?

So, to answer your question about why I do not stream Ore no Imouto, it is because I am insanely paranoid. What can I say? It's a character flaw.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Oreimo episode 1 on ANN, I will watch this anime on ANN with ads. This anime looks good.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
tempest wrote:

Isn't Oreimo streaming on NicoNico Douga though? Or do they stream it 6 days after it airs too?

Yeah, NicoNico has the same delay. Most Japanese streams of currently airing shows are delayed at least a week on all services. Every now and then there's one that goes up the same day (e.g. Code Geass R2 was only on a 7 hour delay) but it's rare.
kgholloway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify my answers to the survey. I started out watching Oreimo on a fansub site but was going to switch to ANN. Now that ANN has caught up to where the fansub is I'll be watching it on ANN from now on.

===KGH
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Let's see, I tried the first episode here but when it was taken down I was already watching so many shows so I didn't bother to look for fansubs (plus Temptest had hinted it was going to come back later on) so I've been watching all the episodes here. Not paying for a stream however or plan to buy since I don't see myself re-watching this (recommending it to friends? Sure, but I'll just point them in this direction for it). Haven't noticed any troubles with the stream (it is loading a bit slow but I was blaming that on the school's servers since everything has been loading slowly lately) and I haven't had any trouble with the subs either (although the only shows ever that haven given me trouble with reading the subs were Bakemonogatri and Tatami Galaxy which are still more dialogue heavy than OreImo).
So all in all, I'm liking the show and the release well enough to continue supporting it by watching each week but I'll probably forget about the show within a season or two.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I would have no problem paying for episodes at $5... but I don't really mind watching the lower quality version so that's what I watch.

If ANN decides to show more shows the way they are doing Toradora though, I wouldn't have a problem paying for premium.

Melanchthon wrote:
Digital streaming is the path forward for all the entertainment industry, not just anime. That being said, I am a dinosaur. Anime, for me, does not exist to simply entertain and then be tossed aside. I collect anime, or perhaps more correctly, I horde anime. And I do this because I like to go back and rewatch these stories. I don't rewatch everything, but I like to know that if I wake up one morning with the intense urge to marathon Sasameki Koto, I can. And that is the one reason why I don't stream anime: I don't trust it to stay. You airing Ore no Imouto same week is great, but I have busy schedule and often don't have time to more than one or two shows a season. So how do I know that 6 months from now, when I finally have the time to watch Ore no Imouto, it will be still be available? How do I know that 1 year from now, when I want to see that hilarious scene from the fifth episode again, it will be still be available? How do I know that 2 years from now, when I get the urge to rewatch the series, it will be still be available? How do I know that 5 years from now it will still be available to show to a new anime fan?

So, to answer your question about why I do not stream Ore no Imouto, it is because I am insanely paranoid. What can I say? It's a character flaw.

I can't say for certain ANN's plans for how long they are going to show it, but look at the other shows that they stream... they have been there for quite a long time already and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, if what you say is true about you 'hording' anime, then it would make more sense for you to WATCH the streaming of this show. It's obvious you enjoy it to some extent and if you could buy it you would, so that's why I suggest you watch the simulcast. You don't have to do it immediately, but you should try and watch it.

Why? Because the more people that watch the simulcast, the better chance Oreimo has of being licensed and released as an R1 DVD. Then, you can buy that and watch it again anytime you want.

It might be a long shot, but going by the logic you're using in your post, it would be more beneficial to watch the stream than not watch it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
tempest wrote:

They stream it 6 days after initial airing.

Actually, that's how I watch it. People's comments make it have great rewatch value: Watch once without comments and once with them.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I personally watch my Oreimo on ANN and enjoy it.

I personally support how sites like Hulu, Crunchyroll and ANN start streaming anime series to cater to the fans who wish anime was more easily obtainable compared to a few years back when we would have to wait a yr+ if a series is possibly licensed, and people would rent bootleg vhs of fansubs (I was like that back in the day wont lie) and while internet has gotten cheaper and more accessible people like to use that as an excuse to justify why things like streaming is bad because they want to hold on to the episode which in the end hurts the industry.

Odd how people talked about lack of translations and other problems, while I agree if you are paying X amount it has to be a fair price, I personally have a Crunchyroll account with a yr paid of since there are so many animes to watch and I support the anime series I pay for high quality anime and it pays for the guys subbing it which have the time is similar to how anime companies sub an anime half the time, and think ANN will eventually find a pace and price that pleases everyone, but in the end people will still complain and find reasons to get away with it but in the end everyone needs to think about how we help the anime industry.

ANN thank you for the anime I watch it with the ads since it helps you guys out as well and Oreimo is an awesome one.
glomag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
Since there was no comments section in the actual survey I think I'll just leave a rant here in case this information is helpful to someone.

I have watched 7 episodes of a fansub and then rewatched 2 episodes on ANN so I could make a fair comparison. I wish I could say there was one thing for you to fix in order to immediately earn my business but at this point you really have a lot of small issues working against you.

The most noticeable issue is the quality of the subtitles/translation. The solid yellow text is really painful to look at and as someone has already mentioned it is even more of a problem when two conversations are going on at the same time. I thought the actual translation was decent but for whatever reason I found it more difficult to read than the fansub I am watching. Although I really enjoy hearing a Japanese word that I recognize and being able to see it on the screen, I think it is more important for the English on the screen to flow well so that I can immediately empathize with the characters instead of trying to figure out what they are saying first.

If I had been watching on ANN from the start I probably would have gotten used to your translation but you are only able to release new episodes several days after they become available via fansub. If you had noticeably better video quality or a noticeably better translation I would have no problem waiting but (for OreImo at least) your product is slightly inferior. I know the release schedule isn't your fault so I don't blame you for it but the only two ways that official companies can compete with free pirated releases are speed of release and quality of translation yet the companies insist on making their products less attractive by releasing them (to the internet) later than the free alternatives.

On top of all this I strongly prefer downloads to streaming. This is partially due to habit but also because the quality of a flash stream will never be quite as good as a 720p or 1080p h.264 file sitting on my hard drive. Your SD stream does look very nice overall but I noticed a few points where it must have dropped frames or something because the characters' mouth movements started to look a little "blocky". Plus when I download a file I can keep it forever, watch it on my laptop when I don't have an internet connection, etc.

I guess the only part of this set up that I agree with 100% is paying for each series instead of a monthly subscription. $5-$8 per series is a fair price and this way I don't have to pay for a bunch of things I don't watch like I do with cable TV. I enjoy watching OreImo and I think the creators deserve something in return for making it so I think I will just pay for the premium streaming and then not use it. I just want to make it clear that this purchase should be taken as a vote to make media more freely available online and not as a vote to give me more streaming shows/setups exactly like this one.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think the yellow subs are a distraction at all. They are easy to read and I think it works, though I would like to see more subs for some on screen text.

One thing I would like to see changed, which is more of a video player issue and not the series issue, is that when not watching in full screen I would like an option to hide the time and seek bar. I don't like having to cover up part of my tv or laptop screen to watch this since if I see the time or seek bar I will focus squarely on that. I don't like watching it full screen because it doesn't flow quite right with my poor connection in my bedroom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4