• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tongue in Cheek

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Though, it's clear now that being grumpy and annoyed is the way you really are, and that's how you want to communicate yourself. And that's fine. It at least gives me a better picture of what you and the podcast are all about, and helps me to make a more informed decision about whether I want to continue listening or not. My criticism may not have helped you any, but it at least helped me.

WOW, just wow.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Originally I wasn't going to really respond to this other than to tell you that I don't think you understand how truly presumptive and insulting you're being, but there's so much condescension in here I can't really believe it.

Kikaioh wrote:

I'm giving criticism so that you have a sense for how people might feel about your show in case you don't know, and so that you can change how you approach the show if you want to in ways that you feel are appropriate.

You're giving criticism so that I might have a sense for how you might feel, not some nebulous "people". I'm sure there are others out there who agree with you but %99.9 of the feedback I get about my hosting style is people telling me I'm way more positive and upbeat than they might've expected, so when one person comes along and decides to inform me how I "really am", I'm skeptical and a little put off by it. I don't think I'm anywhere near as negative as you're making me out to be, and please don't presume to speak for anyone but yourself.

Quote:
I'm just a listener and I don't know you personally, so there's not really a way for me to know with absoluteness that in real life you're an unchangeable curmudgeon (I sort of do now though Laughing).

I'm not an unchangeable curmudgeon. Not in the least. Nobody I know would describe me that way and I don't appreciate you doing so, either. I responded to you in the way I did because your "criticism" was fundamentally personal and, in my opinion, presumptive and kind of inappropriate.

Quote:
After all, it's possible that all along you might have been mis-communicating yourself on the podcast, wanting to be informative, entertaining and honest but not realizing people instead found you annoyed and grumpy.

I can't even begin to tell you how insulting this is. Seriously.

Quote:
Though, it's clear now that being grumpy and annoyed is the way you really are, and that's how you want to communicate yourself.

I'm not particularly grumpy and annoyed. I'm very frank, a little cynical, sometimes can be a little too negative, but I try to maintain a generally positive outlook and an open mind while still maintaining personal standards and taste. I'm also a very self-aware person (according to my therapist!). You don't actually know me. Your reaction to me does not define who I am and does not give you the authority to tell me who I really am. Your only interaction with me is a one-sided experience where you heard my voice and then engaged me first with insulting personal insinuations, and you're surprised that this is my reaction?

Quote:
My criticism may not have helped you any, but it at least helped me.

Glad I could be of service, but if you ever need to make wildly insulting, presumptive statements about a stranger, please find someone else as you have pretty thoroughly ruined my Saturday.

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and many artists and entertainers encourage that kind of interaction with their audience. Zac just isn't one of those types of hosts I guess.

I have extremely positive interaction with my listeners all the time, especially via Twitter and often here in the forums. We take audience suggestions frequently and I try to build the show around what the listeners actually want from us. We get positive, constructive feedback all the time and really valuable criticism that doesn't violate personal boundaries.

You're just not one of those types of listeners, I guess.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, Zac, you did seem a little grumpy and downtrodden the last time you talked about bacon on the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Any episode with Mike Toole is always fun to listen to. The Countdown episodes (top movies/anime etc) are always entertaining as well.

Some of the guests are definitely interesting but overall I'd agree with the statement that the best episodes are just you and Justin (and sometimes another person or two) just hanging out.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't know, Zac, you did seem a little grumpy and downtrodden the last time you talked about bacon on the show.

Bacon on Mac' & Cheese too, if recall. Really, what the hell!

Kidding aside, I think you guys are doing a fine job and should keep at it, even when I don't agree with you now and again. Soldier on!

I don't know which episodes are particularly my favorites, most of the one's mentioned I guess? Geneon, Moe-Money, Helen, Carl Macek, a few of the ones where you guys just shoot the breeze. Always love to hear Mike because he's so fun, cheerful, and full of info. Looking forward to the "Best of ANNCast" because I'm sure there are a few I've missed or would want to revisit

Oh, and Surrender Artist is back? Hurray!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to post and say I've always really enjoyed the hosting style on this podcast: the candidness is refreshing and more often than not, genuinely enlightening. There's always some fascinating industry perspective or critical analysis to back it up and I usually come away from new episodes feeling like I've learned a great deal more than I knew before.

Don't let it get you down, Zac. It's pretty clear, to me at least, that a lot of your and Justin's cynicism is good-natured and comes with comedic intent, which I've never felt offended by - it makes me shake my head and laugh in agreement!

I tried going back through episodes to list my favorites, but it's a bit overwhelming. There's so many to choose from! The "Revenge" shows, the "Super Nerds" shows, as people have mentioned already... I like when you have the manga and video game reviewers on too. That's kind of a blind spot for me, so I find them very informative! Love the show, been listening since the beginning - and thanks for having me on for a couple of the call-out shows, too.

Here's to hoping you have a better weekend. Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Let's be realistic - what real-world response should I have to this criticism? I need to be happier? More upbeat? Should I smile when speaking so you can hear the joy bubbling out of me like a fountain of mirth?

That's it exactly. Think about your happy place, put on a fake corporate phone bank slave smile and make me bubble with happiness because I'm listening to such a bubbly, frothy personality, god damn it. Is a little bit of fake, hypocritical pretense at joy really so much to ask?

All we get is sarcastic wisecracks and fracking honest opinions. Who in the hell wants that?

Kikaioh wrote:
One thing that's been bothering me about these podcasts is how brusquely Justin and Zac express their opinions. I appreciate the informative side to the podcasts, but more often than not they come across like an opportunity for Zac and Justin to air their grievances, which makes the shows hard for me to listen to (especially when they off-handedly express sharp criticisms I disagree with).

Yes, exactly.

Well, except when I disagree with you and agree with Justin and/or Zac, and then its witty and brilliant chat. So as long as they check with me first as to whether I agree with their opinion, and ladle a couple of cups of treacle on top of any opinion that I differ with, that would make it just about perfect.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
laceblade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I just started listening to the podcast now, but reading all the comments in this thread has been very O_o

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy listening to both Justin and Zac. Your sense of humor and honest opinions are both refreshing & make me laugh pretty frequently, even if I don't always agree with the views (for example, I find a lot of value in "moe" shows depicting girls hanging out). If your personalities were somehow curtailed (I hope that is unlikely!), I would stop listening.

I enjoy the rotating guests for something new, but all my favorite shows I think are the ones just involving Zac and Justin.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll edit this post later, to get more specific in my favorite episodes, but broadly I love ones where you guys show your knowledge of just being in the industry so long, your sort of off-hand stories of things newer anime fans may not have experienced. Also ones where the both of you, though Justin probably in particular, gets to bring out his technical expertise about the current way anime is being done.

I can and do look elsewhere for opinions and reviews on anime and manga I'm interested in, and I love hearing your guy's takes as well, but the industry side and general knowledge base of ANNCast is what makes it the best.

Also the manga pals episodes, I love me my manga pals. (Seriously, more manga episodes if possible.)
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I love every single episode of the podcast. Sure, some stand out a little but like the Revenge ones, Super Nerds and various interviews. They are always fun to listen to no matter the topic!
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness. Well, it looks like I may have made a terrible mistake. Zac, I honestly thought you were admitting in your previous post that you were a generally annoyed, grumpy and negative person Laughing (I guess because you weren't directly countering that you disagreed with my perceptions, and mostly focused on the idea that changing to an uncharacteristically friendly personality wasn't how you wanted to approach the show). It seems, however, that I interpreted your post incorrectly, and made that mis-interpretation the basis of my entire response (and to be honest, I was only loosely calling you a curmudgeon tongue-in-cheek, since Justin had already jokingly referred to yourselves as such). Since it's clearly not at all how you personally feel about yourself, I can certainly see how my post might have offended you and ruined your Saturday, and for that I'm deeply sorry.

Truthfully, I'm not trying to tell you who you are, or presume that I know how others feel about your work. I do know how I feel about the podcast, and I wanted to express my perception since it might be helpful to you to get feedback from your audience or so that I could get clarification as to whether my impressions were wrong. Whether it's helpful to you depends on whether you agree with the criticism or not, and if you don't agree with my perception then that's fine, I take no offense --- in fact it's a good thing, since it gives me a different understanding of the podcast and how you're trying to approach it. If being grumpy and annoyed isn't what you're intending, then that's good for me to know, because when I listen to future podcasts I'll know "he's not really as grumpy or annoyed as I think he sounds".

I don't intend to be condescending or presumptive --- I only mean to express my impression of the podcast, either to help expand your understanding of your audience's impressions by adding my own voice, or to help my own understanding by having you and Justin put my impressions into the proper perspective. That's all.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
In relation to the podcast.... i'm a softy when it comes to animation & comics... many an anime & toon have brought tears to my eyes.

Manly tears.

I can't really think of any anime off the top of my head that's made me cry or anything recently, and since I'm getting back into it I've been watching a fair amount lately, but I know what has. Persona 3, the game that made me choose my avatar. That ending, after 100 hours of playing was just...sad. I had me some tears for a good half hour and that's saying something. Damn you Atlus...damn you for making me play your awesome games.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
And I suppose my "Ellen" anime podcast of choice would be the AnimeNation Podcast, which seems a bit more friendly and light-hearted, at least in a way that better aligns with my disposition.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a kind of podcast other than it being anime-related. But may I suggest giving the Paperwings podcast a listen to if nothing else for something more friendly and light-hearted?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for in a kind of podcast other than it being anime-related. But may I suggest giving the Paperwings podcast a listen to if nothing else for something more friendly and light-hearted

Also, more people here should check out Paper Wings co-host Lora Innes' webcomic The Dreamer, if only because its premise is effectively American shoujo (it's the "ordinary girl magically transported to another land", like Inu Yasha or Fushigi Yugi, except that this girl goes back to the American Revolution, and it's drawn more like a western comic than manga)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Kikaioh is getting Zach confused with Justin. Laughing

Again i've always found Zach to be the more positive of the duo, and justin to be the somewhat more cynical one, but maybe thats just me.

@Slev: Hmm, I can't think of the last time a video game made me tear up, but i haven't actually played through a game in quite some time *I won't lie I get really lazy when it comes to video games these days*

Hmm, what was it.... think there was a scene in some JRPG that got me teary eyed...wanna say Phantom Brave, but not 100% sure... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6