• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breast in Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also could have done without one particular scene at the beginning of the film where Hana is about to make out with wolf dad.

I'm really glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. It shocked me honestly, I wasn't expecting a scene like that, even if it was only "implied". I understand why he would have wanted a scene like that put in, but I just cant help but think it could have been done in a way that would have gotten the point across without being as weird and creepy.

edit: thats great enurtsol

Last edited by David.Seth on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Quote:

I also could have done without one particular scene at the beginning of the film where Hana is about to make out with wolf dad.

I'm really glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. It shocked me honestly, I wasn't expecting a scene like that, even if it was only "implied". I understand why he would have wanted a scene like that put in, but I just can't help but think it could have been done in a way that would have gotten the point across without being as weird and creepy.

SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
getchman wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Which category does Maken Ki! fall into?

way better than it deserves. Ian Sinclair is hilarious
Dub it is then. That is, if I ever get around to the show in the first place.

Netflix it is, then.
I'm Australian so that's not an option. And I sure as shit won't be paying $60 for the Blu-ray when it gets a release over here. I'll probably just download it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
No mention yet of the hilariously awful Christmas Shoes?

And the sequel! My theory, fwiw, is that the Christmas shoes have some kind of evil curse on them, because anyone who owns them seems to contract a horrible disease.

And since I don't want to sound like a Grinch: I would totally love to see more heartwarming, positive family films that embrace rather than undermine traditional values. I just want them to be good films, though, which a lot of well-intentioned moviemakers just haven't figured out how to make yet.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Another issue I had is the end. Come on, Hosoda, did you not just show a half hour earlier that spoiler[Ame's mom walked to where his teacher had made his home. Now if a human can walk that distance, how long would it take Ame to run down and see his mom every now and then? If there was some magic force-field between the woods and the mom, then Hosoda sure as hell didn't explain anything as such.] It was just meant for a cheap emotional climax that makes absolutely zero sense if you bother to put half a brain's worth of thought into it.

That scene is meant to represent how spoiler[Ame chose to be a wolf, that he has become an adult and that means moving away from his family even though he was in the same area (which the film never points out, by the way) The emotional climax is from Hana realizing that he chose not to be human]
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
With Christmas music, though, comes the annual reminder that there are some songs that should be banned from the radio forever. First and foremost is Paul McCartney's “Wonderful Christmastime,” which has got to be the worst and most repetitive song to ever flow from someone's pen.

Equal time! No fair hating on "Wonderful Christmastime" without offering equivalent hate to John Lennon's "Happy XMas (War Is Over)", that shambling dirge, built of repitition, politics, and guilt, that brings the family as much holiday cheer as a fireside viewing of C-SPAN.

Is that the song that goes "So this is Christmas..." Or something like "Do they even know its Christmastime at all?" I can't keep all the bad songs straight. I hate "Last Christmas", and the moe/loli "Santa Baby." I mean, there are some great Christmas songs, both religious ones ("Silent Night" is can be pretty, some carols are really fun), non-denominational ones ("Winter Wonderland", "Jingle Bells," and "Let it Snow" never mention Christmas, which make 'em personal favorites) and love songs (Mariah Carey "All I Want for Christmas is You", bar none, the others are all awful. I mean "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", really? A love song from a confused child's perspective? "Baby It's Cold Outside" is date rape-y, "Santa Baby" is, uh, just gross).
Then, to even the score somehow, radio stations play Adam Sandler's "Hannukah Song" as if it were an actual Chanuka song. At least it's funny the first couple times you hear it. Other religions' holidays and most religious holidays in general are too obscure or religious to even get songs, so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Edit: I just looked up "Do They Even Know it's Christmas?" It was recorded with a bunch of stars in 1984 to raise money to ease famine in Ethiopia, which was good, but it's filled with White Man's Burden lyrics that mush all of Africa together ("And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime", um, is there ever snow in Ethiopia?) which is obnoxious.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Another issue I had is the end. Come on, Hosoda, did you not just show a half hour earlier that spoiler[Ame's mom walked to where his teacher had made his home. Now if a human can walk that distance, how long would it take Ame to run down and see his mom every now and then? If there was some magic force-field between the woods and the mom, then Hosoda sure as hell didn't explain anything as such.] It was just meant for a cheap emotional climax that makes absolutely zero sense if you bother to put half a brain's worth of thought into it.

That scene is meant to represent how spoiler[Ame chose to be a wolf, that he has become an adult and that means moving away from his family even though he was in the same area (which the film never points out, by the way) The emotional climax is from Hana realizing that he chose not to be human]

It failed to present why Ame had to choose between one or another.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It failed to present why Ame had to choose between one or another.

It did that just fine. It just didn't spell it out. Ame chose his path in life, he became an adult and moved away from the shelter of his mother.

That's really what the film is about, it's about kids growing up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but kids grow up and retain communication with their parents.

spoiler[Hosoda (poorly) attempted to make it seem like Ame would never see his mother again and vice versa. It was just a really badly done scene that didn't need to be there.]
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

spoiler[Hosoda (poorly) attempted to make it seem like Ame would never see his mother again and vice versa. It was just a really badly done scene that didn't need to be there.]

If by "didn't need to be there" you mean entirely essential to the plot and theme of the movie then yeah.

spoiler[The scene isn't about whether Hana will ever see Ame again or not. It's about her letting go of her children and letting them lead their own lives. ]Hosoda doesn't need to spell this out, the scene isn't a poor one just because it didn't spell out exactly what's happening for you.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Re: Shelf Obsessed:

I see you're breaking from the convention of "top shelf being the best" as, with one or 2 exceptions, the better the anime is the closer it is to the floor. Smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

If by "didn't need to be there" you mean entirely essential to the plot and theme of the movie then yeah.

spoiler[The scene isn't about whether Hana will ever see Ame again or not. It's about her letting go of her children and letting them lead their own lives. ]Hosoda doesn't need to spell this out, the scene isn't a poor one just because it didn't spell out exactly what's happening for you.

I also think that is what this scene is trying to do, but I think it causes a problem; Yuki's perspective. She of course doesn't have the same perspective on Ame that Hana does, and the thematic point of this scene doesn't apply to her (spoiler[she doesn't have the same responsibility to "let go" of Ame]), but in the literal context of the story, it's still very important to her; spoiler[she never sees her brother again.]

You could say the movie overlooks this because it's really about Hana's motherhood, but since she shows up so little in that last third of the movie (and Yuki shows up so much), when most of the work building up to that scene is done, I don't find the persuasive. More importantly, Yuki is the narrator (for some reason. It doesn't help the movie any). Yuki as the narrator is speaking from outside the narrative and can comment on anything. Why does she have nothing to say about this?

A possible half-answer, spoiler[that Yuki and Ame are irrevocably separated since their "human vs. wolf" fight] doesn't pan out because the film has Yuki give Ame a friendly parting as she left for school and, if I'm remembering correctly, even encouraged him to stop being a recluse and come himself.

Since I've gone and written that, I think I'll also say that the character design lets the movie down in places other than that the wolf-forms looking silly; when Yuki is wrestling with her humanity, she looks into a mirror and wonders if she looks like a middle-school student (since she's going there soon), before deciding that she doesn't at all. But she does! The character designs are so tall and lanky (Sadamoto lol) that they look quite adolescent, older than the twelve years they've supposed to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4