• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
I couldn't agree more with every word you're saying here. I feel strangely empowered in the end, and not depressed at all.

It's not that much of an accomplishment if you're bombarded with an exaggerated version of the darker parts of human nature and condition, which is what Urobuchi specializes in.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
It's not that much of an accomplishment if you're bombarded with an exaggerated version of the darker parts of human nature and condition, which is what Urobuchi specializes in.

I think he takes a rather honest look at human nature in all it's complexity, and, after admitting to all the horrible things we're capable of in the name of idealism/freedom/security/faith/survival/whatnot, decides that he's just not willing to loose faith completely yet after all. I do find that rather honest and inspiring.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
I think he takes a rather honest look at human nature in all it's complexity, and, after admitting to all the horrible things we're capable of in the name of idealism/freedom/security/faith/survival/whatnot, decides that he's just not willing to loose faith completely yet after all. I do find that rather honest and inspiring.

I find it as trying to intellectualize cynicism, which comes across as a high-schooler's try at philosophy (what I saw of Psycho-Pass was a step up). It's not about what human nature is, it's about how he potrays it. As a result, no I don't think he's all that honest.

That being said, I do not consider either his works to be bad because of that. I simply can't appreciate them on a visceral level like Eva for example.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
Animation : B+

Confused

LOL! It should be A+. This show has the best animation of any animated show I've ever seen! And I've seen A LOT of animated shows...

Hope gave a good reason why is was a B+: because of the horrible CGI. Either way, her grade is much more reasonable than Carlos' grade (I didn't disagree with him about the CGI not being good, but a C was too harsh. Then again, he was so bombarded with hate that I was beginning to feel sorry for him. How DARE he have a different opinion than everyone else?!)

Anyway, back to the review: while I did think that the review was good and well-written, I don't think the anime is worth an A-grade, four out of four star material. The one thing that I do disagree with is the fact that Fate/Zero- particularly the second part- was Kiritsugu's story. Even though the second part focused on him more than in part 1, I never thought for even a moment that Fate/Zero was Kiritsugu's story. I always thought of it more as an ensemble piece with Kiritsugu being focused more than the others in the last few episodes. It certainly doesn't help that he isn't that interesting, and Waver & Rider's relationship was more entertaining and well-written than anything else that was happening in the show.

I liked the fight scenes, the animation is stunning, but... I don't know, I did enjoy the series, but it's not the best thing I've ever seen in my life. I think it's a solid B anime. But an A? I have to go against the popular opinion on this one.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
I agree with pretty much everything in the review, except that I haven't seen the English dub. Is it the same dub done by the people who first dubbed Fate/zero or did AoA did their own dub?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
As for the review itself, it seemed quite solid, but if there's one thing I dislike with the review it's the lack of coverage on the packaging, which is kind of AoA's forte... No one can deny that AoA has some of the most gorgeous box sets and that there's not many companies that can rival them.

Yeah, yeah. We all know you love Aniplex USA and will not shut about it. You should work for AoA because you do a great job pimping it every chance you get.

For the record, I like AoA, but your constant praise towards it is annoying.

As per usual you hunt me on every post I make, you're quite the hilarious fellow aren't you Laughing? Sorry to say that such pitiful words won't work on a man of my caliber, who have traversed to the depths of the interwebs! - I said with a non-posed look.

In any case, this review, and many others on ANN, regardless from what company the release was from lacks packaging coverage, which I think I can say, without you going ballistic, is a part you need to cover in case you're reviewing a physical anime release Wink.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

In any case, this review, and many others on ANN, regardless from what company the release was from lacks packaging coverage, which I think I can say, without you going ballistic, is a part you need to cover in case you're reviewing a physical anime release Wink.

From the review
Quote:
For the most part, however, Fate/Zero's second half is directed far better than its fatty, talky first half, and ufotable's production continues to impress, as does Aniplex's immaculate Blu-ray transfer and nice packaging

You got your obligatory packaging blurb. I for one am glad the review consisted more about the content of the show rather than a paragraph about a box.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

From the review
Quote:
For the most part, however, Fate/Zero's second half is directed far better than its fatty, talky first half, and ufotable's production continues to impress, as does Aniplex's immaculate Blu-ray transfer and nice packaging

You got your obligatory packaging blurb. I for one am glad the review consisted more about the content of the show rather than a paragraph about a box.

"nice packaging"

Yeah, that tells me a lot about the quality & design, and it sure seems very professional!

Oh, and are you really implying that I want the majority of the review to be about the packaging & extras? Get real, dude... Rolling Eyes
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm sure there are other review sites you could find that will tell you what you want to know
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
@SouthPacific

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unboxing%20fate%20zero

Why would anyone want to read about the packaging when there are unboxing videos?

Last edited by Ignatz on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm sure there are other review sites you could find that will tell you what you want to know

Indeed there are, i'm merely giving tips on how to improve the reviews, and the fact that they're reviewing physical releases, but skipping out on the physical part... Confused

But it seems some people have a hard time understanding that, despite it being such a simple matter Laughing.

E: They could just change their titles as well, so that it's not misleading. That's probably a better option.

@Ignatz, like i've said several times now, i'm merely pointing out that the title is very misleading.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm concerned for anyone who sees the title and feels misled when the review isn't about packaging. I can only imagine how betrayed they must feel. I bet their only outlet is to put as many obnoxiously smarmy smilies as possible to counteract the intense sadness within.

I don't really know what more you want. The review mentions the packing is fine and that includes the soundtrack/etc. Do you need to know how the box feels to the touch? It's exact dimensions? I'm sure there's an article from when the product was announced that lists that stuff if you care about it. It seems really silly and a waste of space to include in a review. I'd much rather the writer concern themselves with the content and give thoughtful criticism like Hope did here.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
I'm concerned for anyone who sees the title and feels misled when the review isn't about packaging. I can only imagine how betrayed they must feel. I bet their only outlet is to put as many obnoxiously smarmy smilies as possible to counteract the intense sadness within.

I don't really know what more you want. The review mentions the packing is fine and that includes the soundtrack/etc. Do you need to know how the box feels to the touch? It's exact dimensions? I'm sure there's an article from when the product was announced that lists that stuff if you care about it. It seems really silly and a waste of space to include in a review. I'd much rather the writer concern themselves with the content and give thoughtful criticism like Hope did here.

*sighs*

I can suggest you read my replies before you make yourself appear as ignorant as the ancient cavemen, mate.
Until that time actually comes i'm not going to bother with any further replies to you Smile.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's the review of Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II as written by SouthPacific:

So yeah, there's this show called Fate/Zero and it's about, I dunno, like magicians or something and they're, like, having some kind of war? Whatevs. Now let's get to the REAL action...

... THE PACKAGING!!! ZOMG, IT'S LIKE TOTES AMAZING!!! I immediately rolled around nude with it while dreaming of Henry Goto! Paradise! Eventually my squeals of delight caused mommy to yell down into the basement for me to be quiet! So buy it immediately and throw away those annoying discs and simply revel in the only thing that's important: THE PACKAGING!!! YAY!!!

Rolling Eyes
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Here's the review of Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II as written by SouthPacific:

So yeah, there's this show called Fate/Zero and it's about, I dunno, like magicians or something and they're, like, having some kind of war? Whatevs. Now let's get to the REAL action...

... THE PACKAGING!!! ZOMG, IT'S LIKE TOTES AMAZING!!! I immediately rolled around nude with it while dreaming of Henry Goto! Paradise! Eventually my squeals of delight caused mommy to yell down into the basement for me to be quiet! So buy it immediately and throw away those annoying discs and simply revel in the only thing that's important: THE PACKAGING!!! YAY!!!

Rolling Eyes

Much review, berry good, wow-desu~!

Nope.avi

spoiler[Sorry blod-, but your trolling only works on people who are still stuck in 2006 4chan, so yeah.]

I've already explained several times that I wish they would add something other than "nice package, bro!" when reviewing a PHYSICAL COPY (caps because a select few have a hard time reading) and two words doesn't cut it, unless your entire review is made up of one sentence.

Another option would be not saying that you're reviewing -insert title- box set, and just -insert title-. Again, i've said this as well, but it seems some people only read what they want to read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7