• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Reimagines World Cup Teams as Anime Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Loving Argentina. They're all pretty nice designs. But I can't help but laugh at metal "b***s" from the Netherlands. Poor Bosnia. I've never heard of Herzegovina. Funny that they put them together. Looking at the map I guess they have a close connection with Bosnia.

The country's name is actually Босна и Херцеговина, which transcripts into Bosnia and Herzegovina, though most people just say Bosnia, I believe the Herzegogovina part translates into "Republic", so it's actually The Republic of Bosnia, but I am most probably wrong on the translation.

Btw, DAT Balgium!

Ah, makes sense. I saw that when I looked at the wiki entry. It never fails that the Japanese make learning about something fun. Surprised
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Loving Argentina. They're all pretty nice designs. But I can't help but laugh at metal "b***s" from the Netherlands. Poor Bosnia. I've never heard of Herzegovina. Funny that they put them together. Looking at the map I guess they have a close connection with Bosnia.

The country's name is actually Босна и Херцеговина, which transcripts into Bosnia and Herzegovina, though most people just say Bosnia, I believe the Herzegogovina part translates into "Republic", so it's actually The Republic of Bosnia, but I am most probably wrong on the translation.

Btw, DAT Balgium!

Ah, makes sense. I saw that when I looked at the wiki entry. It never fails that the Japanese make learning about something fun. Surprised

Now check why the Japanese team is called "Samurai Blue" (not Blue Samurai) when there's no blue in their flag.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Re: Samurai Blue, (Clockwork) Orange...

Still doesn't explain the Aladdin-themed Costa Rican girl, as their team nickname, Los Ticos, is just "The Costa Ricans"...

I guess it's just because "veils are hawt."
chillywillyman2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
what does the letter and number above the countries name mean ? could someone please tell me .
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

¡Olé!

Thanks for posting the pic, ¡Olé! is a spanish thing though... you won't find it mexico unless it is at bullfighting event. Or in jokes about spanishmen.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
I love Iran, she's super sexy! Smile
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
If this was also done for Anime boys/men, Germany would be a big muscle rapist and Brazil would be a weak looking femine boy who looks like he just got raped.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm just astonished at this. I kind of like the American girl in the Iron Man armor. It was kind of fun. I'm not as sure about the Bosnian team's portrayal though. I think that the war would be a bit of a sore point with a lot of Bosnians including Bosnian-Americans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4