• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goku's New Super Saiyan God Form Revealed for DBZ: Resurrection 'F' Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
All Toriyama has to do is sit on his butt and let Toei make movies, and he makes money. He clearly was losing interest in the series by the Buu Saga...but now? He's actually seeming to enjoy himself with Dragon Ball for the first time in ages.

And if it's half as fun as Battle of Gods, I'll really enjoy this movie.
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
At least ss4 in GT was creative. Toriyama isn't even trying in character designs.

I agree with you about Toriyama not trying enough but i still like it even if it's just color change...But i wonder what else can he do with the Super saiyen forms beside change the hair color or having longer hair or being hairy like a monkey (which i think he wasn't the who designed the super saiyen 4 form in GT,i could be wrong about that)
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I love it (hate it) when someone uses "art" to justify blah blah blah. It's clear and has been clear since Battle of Gods that Toriyama is just having fun with his creation. If he wanted to leave the franchise he would have by now. If he wanted to do something else he could. But Dragonball is his favorite, his "baby" so to speak. So I say just let him do what he wants.

As for the Super Saiyan it's funny, because I was looking at the original super saiyan god and I noticed that Gokus hair was stuck in it's base form, so I theorized that maybe Goku could transform further, and well he did Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many 9000 lines will be made at the Hollywood premiere.
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Goku vs. Kaguya of Naruto is a fight I'd like to see.

I know this will seem silly but i want to see Goku VS Inner Moka,Akasha BloodRiver,Alucard..what the heck all of the Vampires from the series and Nurari (bus driver) since Spoiler Warning Spoiler ....................................................................................................................he's the leader of all monsters[/spoiler][/spoiler]spoiler[]
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
MetalHunter wrote:
I love it (hate it) when someone uses "art" to justify blah blah blah. It's clear and has been clear since Battle of Gods that Toriyama is just having fun with his creation. If he wanted to leave the franchise he would have by now. If he wanted to do something else he could. But Dragonball is his favorite, his "baby" so to speak. So I say just let him do what he wants.

As for the Super Saiyan it's funny, because I was looking at the original super saiyan god and I noticed that Gokus hair was stuck in it's base form, so I theorized that maybe Goku could transform further, and well he did Very Happy

I read somewhere that Goku wasn't going to be the main character for this movie and that it was vegeta who will get the spot light this time,i guess what they were saying on the internet wasn't true..Still I can't wait to find out how he reaches that level?!...Maybe Vegeta will die and Goku will get angry and he will say "I WON'T LET YOU GET AWAY WITH THIS" XP
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Shared spotlight maybe?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read every message in the topic and this was probably already said, anyway... Revealed the shiny versions of Goku and Freezer! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard: Being able to draw and write on his own time, rather than having to meet weekly deadlines, gives him more flexibility.

Kadmos: Over 9,000? =p
antasad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Robbybulidjetliner wrote:
Time to put DBZ to rest, it overstay it welcome.

Dragon Ball Z got a well deserved rest and has come back with a vengeance. Toriyama knows better what his franchise is then anyone in this thread.

You got that one, man.

I think it's just that everyone here has a different way of thinking than Toriyama now. It is just that most DB fans is accustomed to the system of "getting a new powerful form to get stronger and beat the powerful enemy".

Well, it IS how the Dragon Ball series WAS, from SS in Frieza Saga, SS2 with Cell, and SS3 in the first half of Buu Saga. Even when the TOEI continue to GT, we got SS4. AND when the fans continue it themselves, for AF, we got the ridiculous SS5.

It WAS ALWAYS about new form and "increasing the number". Always about getting new stuff, new stuff, new stuff. And when we got somekind of old-stuff improvement like now, everyone still think it's the new stuff, and then complaining because it doesn't live up to the expectation of a new stuff should be.

While the way of Toriyama thinking now, it's about letting go of that ridiculously big power-increasing transformations. Just when will it get enough? Until SS6? SS7? SS10?

For him, it's time to just come back and reflects. It's more like to become content with what you have and just keep improving that.

Thus he creates the SSGod to mediate that, because the nature of the form that letting the user to keep its power even after not using it. Thus his way of saying, "okay Goku from now on you don't need to transform too much into those numbered SS forms of yours anymore". Kinda like a "cheat", alright, so he can boost the normal form crazily with the excuse of SSGod, but still going into the direction Toriyama wants.

It complements, actually, if we're looking back, to his "exhaustion of violence" starting the Majin Buu saga. He's beginning to get tired of those traditional Shonen manga elements in making his work. We can analyze that to his later works. He's kinda having fun to himself and just messing with the jokes. Thus Neko Majin, Sand Land, Kintoki, and the recent Jaco The Galactic Patrolman.

Even with Battle of Gods, where Toriyama is involved more now, we can feel that it's not like the traditional DBZ movies anymore. It feels more like a comedic side-story movie than serious epic sequel movie, story-flow-wise.

While most fans are complaining and whining with the way he does his works now, I can feel Toriyama himself is criticizing his fans' "outdated" way of seeing his works, through what he threw into his latest works.

He's an old man now, he's kinda like in those Kung-Fu movies, he's now in the phase of the old man who get tired of those "vulgar external power" the young'uns are liking and exhibiting. While the old man himself is beginning to forget all that and just look back inside and bring out the "internal power".

Thus, all of my writings (or more like analysis of Akira Toriyama) above should crystalize into one explanation for the blue SS.

Once again, I tell you, this is not a new form, that information alone came from the ones who watched the movie.

Toriyama is just using the old SS1 form. But where he should be having no problem if he just used the golden hair, he make it blue instead as his way of stating the change and newness, maybe even some reborn feeling, the Super Saiyans have now after experiencing the SSGod. And because of that, igninting the fans' rage, confusion, and curiosity.

Last edited by antasad on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand where people saying it is out of character for Goku to look more like an evil saiyan. Goku even admitted in Battle of the Gods that he has a ton of pride and that he was mad that he couldnt reach the heights of a SSG on his own. Sure he acts goofy and nice most of the time, but when he fights, his saiyan heritage shows through more. Goku doesnt like Freiza in the least bit and was pushed by him farther than anyone else.

That being said, I do agree with the whole Freiza power jump thing. It's ridiculous to think his transformation takes him from being weaker than a super saiyan, all the way to being able to fight the SS form after he gained the SSG powers.
Allen_ST

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quite pathetic. It's hard to believe that I actually cared about this franchise in the past. The saddest thing is that they will most likely do this kind of relentless milking to other franchises in the future, like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.
Davy0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
It'd be nice if Vegeta achieved the same form, just for the potential monstrosity that would be Super Saiyan God Vegito.

spoiler[He does.]

It's just God Power (it's the form they wanted to go with at first with SSJ God anyway, as seen with the beginning trailers. I thought it would be distinctive in color with Vegeta being blue and Goku being read. But hey, it's God Ki infused SSJ Goku, the colors don't mix, but whatever.

Just makes the Uub battle that much more badass (showing that Uub went against God Ki Goku to some extent is awesome).
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Its sad that AT forgot just how weak frieza was compared to buu saga characters let alone the new god crap.

he could of had a dozen new forms and still should never have come close to their power levels
wii800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
ha i called this shit back in the first movie i knew GOD mode was going to have more levels, only wish they did better for the design then just a color pallet switch, hope the next form is more creative
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6