• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Himo Zairu Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Online Criticism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
That is too bad. This sounds like an interesting concept, and I rather enjoyed Princess Jellyfish thanks in large part to it tackling some ideas and lifestyles in a way that wasn't cliche.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Who knows, maybe she she's putting it on hiatus because she realized the complainers had legitimate concerns. If that's not the case and it's simply PR, well then that's less satisfying, but hey, I haven't read it, I can't say much one way or another on the issue.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Unlike the US, where the important someone would have probably tweeted this and then made a viral Youtube rant, Japan is a lot more discreet. Meaning that, if the son of the owner of the magazine that featured this story was offended by this, they'd pull the plug on it and no mention of the son would be made.

Sounds kind of scummy to me, but then again, I've always valued honesty and business transparency. I'm sure people in Japan must be somewhat shocked at Americans' audacity to identify who they are when they complain.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with this, I think she should continue working on it. If they don't like it then too bad, deal with it.

Princess Jellyfish is a fantastic manga so I'm a fan of hers.

If only this sort of thing happened with Bleach. Dear God, that hack Kubo needs to stop. Think of all the wasted paper being put to better use.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you can really tell who hasn't read the manga just from reading these comments. People just finding any reason they can to whine. Rolling Eyes

All we've heard is that there are complaints. There have been no released statements about who they were from or what they were about. Let's not make judgements about things we know nothing about.

Seriously people. Chill.
Green Wisp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess that the majority here don't read Japanese. If you read what's being said in Japanese sites, it's clear that women and feminists made up a large portion of the complainers about this series, and it was the shock from that which got the author to pull the series. She was expecting complaints from men, what she did not expect was that there would be so many complaints from women.

As a news source ANN could have reported on that, but instead, we have a vague summary of the actual issue that leaves western readers to fill in the blank with their preconcieved notions.

For example this review from before the manga was pulled:

http://www.cyzowoman.com/2015/09/post_17426.html

To summarize(as in, not a direct translation) the points of the review, it's

1) The depiction of the author's friend/mom and her rudeness

In episode 1 we see a friend of the author drop by and they go out to get tea together, leaving her children in the care of the author's assistants. She then says stuff like "What do you think of those assistants?" and "I don't want my child to end up like that". The reviewer goes on to talk about how it's unconscionable that you would talk that way about someone you entrusted with your child, and that she's the kind of bad mother who wants to control her child against their happiness and get them into a "good" career.

2) The discrimination against stay at home husbands/wives

A 'himo' literally means 'string', but like the bundle of sticks, 'fa__ot', it has a second meaning: a man who makes women work and lives off of it. She uses a Japanese dictionary definition, but FWIW the first J-E web dictionary hit that includes the collquial meaning I found was Weblio's "a man who lives off a prostitute's earnings; a pimp".

The reviewer says that what's being made fun of is not just stay at home men, but house workers in general - the majority of whom are women. She claims the manga is saying that people who earn moeny in the job market have value, those who stay home do not. She asks, if a 'himo' is what stay at home men are, does that mean stay at home wives are just 'mistresses' to 'men who actually earn value'?

The series depicts men who "couldn't make it in industry" so gave up on job searching in order to leech off of women. Feminists were upset that the series was implying the only reason a man would stay home was because he's a loser, and also indirectly implying stay at home women were losers.

3) Power harassment against assistants

The manga is depicted as being a documentary-style with the author and her assistants as characters. Throughout the series there are things happening which can only be described as power harassment, such as calling them idiots, forcing work outside of normal duties on them like the aforementioned child care and using them for research on 'himo', saying "I haven't given a thought to those thing's futures" and "I didn't care as long as my work was finished"

She then goes over some old interviews where the author described her relationship with former assistant Haruna Remon (now mangaka of Zucca X Zuca) as being like "sisters" and apparently cared for her assistant's future, and questions whether it was necessary to write in such power harrassment for dramatic purposes.

TL DR;

Mangaka makes manga making fun of stay-at-home men; Japanese feminists in uproar forces mangaka to stop manga; English-speaking web interprets it as misogynists censoring a 'feminist' work

Disclaimer: I am only summarizing the reviews, I have not read the series itself
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Treat women as meat, nobody cares. Make one joke about a man and Japanese betas lose their shit. No wonder the birth rates are failing Laughing
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Finally, a different type of controversy coming from the manga world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4