• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Get Your Heart Pounding with The Top 20 Anime & Manga Love Confessions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm also surprised none of the White Album 2 confessions made it into the list. There were some really powerful love confessions in that series.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Confession scenes with characters at least twenty years old appear in REC

Ah, REC...I'm still waiting for PonyCanUSA to fulfill my wish, and release that one on disc. I'd pay their current going rate for that one. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) should definitely be on the list.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the FMP! confession will get there soon...

No Toradora!? sigh...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
About Japanese love confessions, here's a 4-year-old Tumblr post called "Daisuki, Aishiteru and Koishiteru all have different meanings."

Quote:
Koishiteru (恋してる。)-A term used by people to express that they have feelings for someone. It basically means that, "I love someone."

Aishiteru (愛してる。)-A term used by married people or those in a very committed relationship. It's still heard a lot in J-pop, dramas or by those who share such strong feelings for each other. Which means, "I love you."

Daisuki (だいすき。)-A term used mostly by teens to confess their feelings towards a crush. This term is often confused by many people who watch Japanese dramas because most dramas focus on high schoolers who want to express their feelings to their crush.

It doesn't translate to, "I love you." No. This word translates more along the lines of, "I like you a lot." It's just a greater form of suki (すき) which means like. Placing dai (だい) in front of suki (すき) just shows how much you like it. "

"Aishiteru" can be said among among family members, as demonstrated in Shippuden ep.339, when spoiler[Edo Itachi says this to Itachi]. On the other hand, "koishiteru" is a romantic "I love you".

If any of the anime on the article's list uses either of these terms where the couple looks at each other in the eyes and say it, or you at least hear it on scree, that would be nice. Heck, a kissing scene before or after it would make it even better.

On screen, the only time I have heard "aishiteru" by both parties is the last episode of Xam'd. However, we see the backs of Akiyuki and Haru.

For those wanting to bring up Mirai Nikki ep. 22, Yuno and Yukiteru say that word as it fades out of their love scene. So, I am not counting this.

However, you hardly hear said words in anime let alone in real-life Japan. As such, I don't see these series as being especially romantic outside of fan works.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ed's confession to Winry was pretty amazing. Definitely one of the best.

My absolute favorite isn't on here but I didn't expect it to be.

People should stop crapping on Kirito and Asuna. It wasn't 'poorly written"; it was CUTE. Razz And that they haven't actually said "I love you" to each other's faces but used words more like "My life belongs to you and I'll use it for you" is less cliche and very romantic.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
No Atsushi Ootani confession to Koizumi Risa?
That shit took for-freaking-ever to come out, definitely rewarding, haha.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Regarding my earlier post, I feel that, unless any of couples say any variation of "aishiteru" or "koishiteru", I feel that these aren't true confessions. To me, genuine Japanese confessions use those words. Of course, that's my aesthetic for romance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4