• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Enters 'VS. Four Emperors Arc'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franky-haus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
can someone please tell me what the four kanji along the top of the photo mean!? does it say VS FOUR EMPEROR ARC ???
I created an account just to ask this question lol
franky-haus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
I hope that on the volumes released in America they update the arc.
in the manga, there are many arcs, but the only arcs that really matter to me are the MAIN ones. the ones they put on the cover of the volumes. it's been NEW WORLD ARC for like 25 volumes. this feels like it should be the next major arc.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
I'm just wondering, why is this news? Don't follow the series, and nothing in the article seems to indicate much beyond "a new arc is starting"...

Why are you here then?

Because I was wondering why this is news. And, all ANN has given me is "it's a new arc". ANN hasn't given any context as to why they are reporting on a new One Piece arc. Had to get the context in the comments.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
TheConqueror wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
I'm just wondering, why is this news? Don't follow the series, and nothing in the article seems to indicate much beyond "a new arc is starting"...

Why are you here then?

Because I was wondering why this is news. And, all ANN has given me is "it's a new arc". ANN hasn't given any context as to why they are reporting on a new One Piece arc. Had to get the context in the comments.

It's just the most popular manga in Japan entering a major arc, nothing really important for ANN, that never reports closures, important announcements or even hiatus status of any manga at all, right?
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
franky-haus wrote:
can someone please tell me what the four kanji along the top of the photo mean!? does it say VS FOUR EMPEROR ARC ???
I created an account just to ask this question lol

No, actually the scan we embedded in the article does not say the news itself. The image we embedded is from the publicly-available scan on Shonen Jump's website (http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html) advertising what will be in next week's issue (issue #18). For those interested, the page that had the news that specifically said the new arc was starting was page 24 of the 17th issue.

To answer your question though, the kanji at the top of the image we embedded means literally "the curtain rises on the four wars/fights" but the "four wars" phrase ("shitou") is also a homonym for "struggle to the death" if you replace 四 (four) kanji with 死 (death) (both have the same reading of "shi").
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Wait, isn't spoiler[Jack planning on attacking Zou again? If a new saga begins on the next chapter, then what's going to come of this attack? Will Jack get wrecked midway through the chapter, then the Four Emperors Saga will be underway for the rest of it?]

Ali07 wrote:

Though not anything industry-related or creator-related, this bit of news does announce that One Piece, a series that's been going on for about 17 years continuously, is reaching an endgame status. The Four Emperors are the strongest four pirates in their world, and one of them, Blackbeard, has been set up to be the evil counterpart to the main characters and doing big world-shaking things (quite literally, sometimes) hinting he is the final villain of the series.

thekingsdinner wrote:
This pretty much confirms that Zou is the last arc in the Pirate Alliance Saga. I'm extremely excited for what's to come, 2016 is already an amazing year for One Piece.

I see Zou as a transitional arc, as being both the last arc of the Pirate Alliance Saga and the first arc of the Four Emperors Saga. The pirate captains allied during Punk Hazard and Dressrosa are still allied here, and certain events set the stage for the next big event to happen. Zou is about the aftermath of Dressrosa AND setup for the conflict against Kaido, which are both the same.

Or, since the pirates are allied in the first place to take down an emperor, the Pirate Alliance Saga should logically turn into the Four Emperors Saga.

Emerje wrote:
This is definitely not the final arc and should last a few years considering all of things they have to do during it (get Sanji back, defeat at least two emperors, go to the Wano country). The goal of the series was never to defeat the four emperors. There should at least be one final arc after this one when they actually go out to find the One Piece and likely end in a battle between the Worst Generation.

Emerje

Considering spoiler[Kaido is on Wano and has set himself up as a tyrant on that island], that's two birds with one stone.

There's also spoiler[the Road Poneglyphs, the Rio Poneglyph, the Void Century, the true nature of the Roger Pirates, what Devil Fruits actually are, what the remaining Worst Generation pirates are up to, what will become of the World Government structure, the Ancient Kingdom and its weapons, what Dr. Vegapunk is up to and why we haven't seen him yet, Eneru and his robots on the Moon, and why there is only one Moon when the orrery at Ohara depicts at least eight and the Kozuki Clan emblem depicts eight moons.] Some of these are probably connected to each other though, if not all of them.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
It's likely that Luffy will take on Big Mom and Kaido first, saving Blackbeard and Shanks for last since they are probably going to be more personal fights. And seeing how we're talking about One Piece I guess I can take the time to bring up two things that have bugged me a bit about the series.

Why does anyone bother to travel around the world in search of One Piece when they already know where it is? Just jump aboard the nearest Sky Island, wait until it floats right above Raftel (or propel it there), then jump down. Easy peasy?

Me, I predict spoiler[Kidd's alliance will get to Shanks first, but I don't know if they'll be able to take him down or not. Either way, Luffy idolizes Shanks, so Luffy won't take lying down hearing about a group intending to kill Shanks.]

As for Raftel, the coordinates are known only to very few people in the world (and at least one has been executed and another has been assassinated). Even if you could steer a Sky Island, you wouldn't know where to take it. And we've seen islands in the New World with anomalies that rise into the sky, like Raijin Island and that weird thing the Firetank Pirates' ship got stuck on. As for my guess, spoiler[the purpose of the Road Poneglyphs is not only to reveal Raftel's location, but to reveal the island itself. That is, I think the island is either invisible, immaterial, or underwater, and objects at each of the locations of the Road Poneglyphs will allow access to Raftel.] Otherwise, what's stopping the Marines from going to Loguetown, then sailing north through the Calm Belt? That'll instantly take them to the end of the New World.

Knight Baron wrote:
That being said, I'm also glad that Oda isn't wasting anytime in regards to the timeskip and all of the arcs so far have been pivotal to the grand scheme of things and not just the conventional "visit a random island" arcs we've got in some pre-timeskip arcs (Davy Back Fight was fun but it didn't contribute much except Ao Kiji's debut).

You never know...I still strongly suspect Foxy WILL return to the series. Foxy is consistently skipped when Oda shows characters from past arcs, even though far less important characters from that arc like Tonjit are shown. That leads me to believe Oda is planning something with him.

The Skypeia saga was also seen as disconnected from the narrative at large, but look at it now: It's the arc where irreparable damage was done to the Going Merry that led up immediately to the following arc, their visit introduced Dials to the rest of the world (well, Dials became widespread after their visit anyway), they received treasure that they'd use to pay for the Thousand Sunny, and it's directly followed by Eneru's cover story which is the first, albeit quite subtle, telling of the world's ancient history. (If you look carefully at the engravings on the wall Eneru stares at, you can see that the three winged human races--the Bilkans, Shandorans, and Skypeians--and their robots collectively built an ark to travel to Earth.)

While not to as great an extent, I think the Davy Back Fight arc will have some importance too.

MajinAkuma wrote:
It has been established that the Staw Hats need to go to four different and specific islands before going to the final island. Before that, the Straw Hats need to bring Sanji back to their crew. And they have to deal with three Yonkous at the same time. And we don't know how many locations the Straw Hats need to enter before going to all of the five mentioned islands.

If your talking about the Big Red X That Marks the Spot, they're never specified as islands, only coordinates. I am certain at least one of these locations is open ocean, if not all four.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
It's just the most popular manga in Japan entering a major arc, nothing really important for ANN, that never reports closures, important announcements or even hiatus status of any manga at all, right?

Again, where is the context within the article? That's what I've been asking. Sure, we all know OP is a massive manga in Japan. But, I honestly don't remember many other popular manga getting articles like this one, with no context as to why this upcoming arc could be considered important.

Maybe I'm just not seeing the context in the article? Initially, this article caught my eye because I hadn't seen ANN report on an upcoming arc of OP. But, there's nothing within the article that goes beyond "this is the new arc", which is why I questioned it.

I've gathered why it is important, thanks to the comments here. That piece of information would've been nice in the article itself.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I take it this one got an article because Shueisha announced it on its Shonen Jump website. An announcement from a major media company would be a logical subject for an article on an entertainment news site.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
^That's something that also isn't in the article. I'm learning from fans as to why this is a news article on ANN. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4