• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub D.Gray-man, Servamp, Zestiria, Danganronpa 3, Arslan, Love Live! Sunshine, M

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Getting JYB, Bryce Papenbrook, Kyle Hebert, Todd Haberkorn, Patrick Seitz, Stephanie Sheh, and Natalie Hoover to reprise their roles shouldn't be an issue, I hope. That still leaves the rest of the cast, though. As much as I like Caitlin Glass and Felecia Angelle, I'd rather have Erika Harlacher and Cassandra Lee Morris. Greg Ayres is a poor substitute for Brian Beacock as Monokuma, and Chris Bevins is a poor substitute for Kaiji Tang as Yasuhiro. There are no substitutes for Christine Cabanos as Chiaki, Steve Prince as Fuyuhiko, or Chris Tergliafera as Gundham.

Incidentally, Carrie Keranen and Kira Buckland were in the original casts of both Danganronpa 2 and Tales of Zestiria. If Funimation can get them back for one, surely they can get them back for the other. Hopefully it won't be like what happened with BlazBlue and Neptunia (Julie Ann Taylor and Kate Higgins came back for the former, but not the latter).

yeah no, Greg gave Monokuma much of a personality as did Caitlin Glass. the rest of the game cast honestly did a pretty meh job. the FUNImation VAs did a much better job tbh in terms of emotions, personality, charm, etc.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
As for the music I think we wont know till the home release if the song with be dubbed or not.

I'm assuming they're going to go the NISA route and leave the songs raw. However, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Funimation does decide to produce English versions of them.

doubt it. they haven't done any songs in english in years since its early inception back in the early 2000's when yu yu hakusho and dbz was still doing their runs. and considering that they kept the original japaneese songs for the haruhi series as well as for the yuki-chan series, its more or less a given their gonna do the same for the love live series.

the last songs they actually did in english is when they had mignona did the OP song for the one piece skypeia arc and miss palencia did the bon voyage OP in english.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, never expected for Puzzle & Dragons X to get dubbed so soon! Looking forward to the dub! Very Happy

I wonder if the dub will retain Tamazo and Devi's verbal tics.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

doubt it. they haven't done any songs in english in years

oh yes they have. no opening songs other than DBZ Kai have been dubbed, but numerous insert songs from various shows have been getting dubbed.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I'm worried that funimation is only worrying about quantity than quality at this point. They're just spewing out dubs left and right. It's worrisome. I don't watch dubs but with that much anime to dub then you're bound to mess up somewhere.

Just curious, if you don't watch dubs, then what concern is it of yours how Funi does things? Their dubs have generally been of pretty excellent quality anyway, so I don't see the issue. Besides, it's not like Japan is exempt from this themselves; not everything they produce is a vocal masterpiece.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it cool that Love Live Sunshine is getting dub but every time this happens without Strike Witches movie moving anywhere is ticking me off a bit

Talk about perfect timing with our two posts Very Happy

The Strike Witches movie finally got a release date and posted for preorder!
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope FUNi keeps the same type of language that NISA used in their Love Live! dub. I absolutely loved their dub of the show because it stayed incredibly true to the original dialogue without changing things that 'they don't think their audience will understand.'

Don't get me wrong, FUNi dubs are usually very good quality... I'm just more concerned with the translation and adaptation of the script. And I'm fine with keeping the songs in Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4