• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Japan-International Co-Productions Revisited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Key production staff are Japanese-based. It wouldn't matter if they outsourced literally the entire production, with a French director, some American guy writing the scripts (for any language) which were performed and recorded by non-Japanese outside of Japan – if it's organised by a Japanese production company, that would make it anime. The definition may well cease to be a meaningful one, but it would be correct.

There are doubtless further lines you can blur, but what "matters" (insofar as it does matter) is not target audience, style, or even who physically animates, writes, records or directs it, but whether the key production staff are Japanese-based. If that episode of Adventure Time were a co-production between its regular studio and Madhouse or something, then that would qualify. If they just brought Yuasa into their regular operation to guest direct, then that wouldn't count in my book.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
If the original voices aren't Japanese, then it's not anime.

Avatar? Cartoon. Lyoko? Cartoon. Pokemon Generations? Cartoon.

I'm pretty sure it'll eventually get a Japanese release. Who knows, maybe it's already been dubbed and they're just looking for a way to release it. Probably after it's finished.
But whether or not it's been voiced already, it's pretty obvious the script was done in Japanese and then translated into English to be dubbed. Even if the English voices are the "original" ones (as in they were released first), the original lines themselves are in Japanese.
So what do you do in this situation?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Off rip I will say that anime = anime. Anime != good and Anime != bad. I find that sometimes if you say something isn't anime, that gets interpreted as it's bad. That's not my definition.

Anyways, my definition is Japanese creative staff/writers. If it's like Boondocks or those DC Cartoon movies and non-Japanese come up with all creative concepts and the only Japanese thing is that they farmed the grunt work of drawing the animation off to a Japanese studio, that's not anime imo. Anime style maybe. On the other end, if a Japanese creative team comes up with all the ideas and designs and then ships the grunt work of animating it to Korea or somewhere else, that's still anime imo.

Japanese people have to be involved in coming up with it. No different than the French New Wave film movement. If you weren't French, then you weren't making French New Wave. Americans can't make French New Wave. French is right in the name of it. They could make an homage to it. They can make their own thing with super similarities to French New Wave... maybe American French New Wave or some new genre/style that's supposed to be people bringing back the French New Wave style but it wouldn't be French New Wave.

At the end of the day, I don't really care as it's just a label. As long as it's looks like something I'd like, I'm willing to give it a shot regardless of where it's made. I wouldn't be against "anime looking stuff" being up on Crunchyroll. I'm not enraged when RWBY shows up on the simulcast page.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we keep getting on this merry-go-round...

I make the distinction between anime, and anime-style. Anime emerged from a style that includes art and story. It's not just the way characters look - such as large eyes, higher than average detail - but the sort of stories and approach to story telling. These productions are inspired by and predominantly driven by Japenese creative forces (directors, writers, editors, producers, artists) or are themselves based on a Japanese story (manga, folklore, etc).

Avatar, even Bloodivores, I would classify as "anime-style". The creative impulses are non-Japanese, but the show is created to match many - though not necessarily all - of the same stylistic nuances of a traditional anime.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Anime doesn't exist
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I mentioned that there were several styles that are obvious which all originated in Japan and so make up anime in general, ...
Honestly, I think Panty and Stocking, Mononoke, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Doraemon, and others look like anime. They don't look like K-ON at all, and yet they look like anime.
As you said, The Simpsons look nothing like Adventure Time and yet they both look like "cartoons" (as in not just moving drawings).
So I just called "cartoon" a style. it is. More accurately, I'd say it's a cluster of styles. Anime is the same. There's no one single anime style. Not even between what most people could recognize as anime. For example, K-ON and JoJo. Both are undeniably anime even to people who don't know anything, but look nothing alike.
I'm not really against saying that there are styles that can be categorized as anime. The thing is, anime itself shouldn't be defined by the style. There's not just a couple of exceptions, there are a ton. Even more so if you include manga (since most people use manga style and anime style interchangeably)....
As I said, I believe that a production is anime when most of the production and planning team is Japanese...
In the end, what I'm trying to say is that anime should mean "Japanese cartoons". That's it. Everyone should be able tell the difference between a Japanese cartoon and an American cartoon animated in Japan or an American cartoon with a similar style.
I am glad you see my point and agree, there is no one style and that one might be able to identify maybe a dozen (or more?) unique styles which encompass say 95%-99% of all Japanese animation over history which DRosencraft points out goes beyond art. Then there are a few shows, not dozens I think, which are just "their own animal" like One Piece, JoJo (which I think looks very French!), TekkonKinkreet, Doreamon, etc. I also agree that the definition of "anime" shouldn't be limited solely to style and that whether a show has a predominant set of Japanese creatives can't be ignored in determining if something qualifies as anime, especially if it is visually different from other anime but as H-Dizzle showed, how many, what roles are filled, etc. makes a hard classification difficult to say the least as co-productions and artistic variety increase. The increasing variety is one factor as a fan that just delights me that they are classified as anime for their Japanese origin or connection if nothing else.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Big O Season 2 Sunrise's noir-mecha series premiered in Japan in 1999, followed by a successful run on Cartoon Network a few years later. Its success with Western audiences is no surprise, since much of the production's influences and story beats are immediately familiar to anyone who grew up watching Bruce Timm's Batman: The Animated Series. Western viewers found this immediately palatable, but Japanese audiences were less interested, and the show was cut back to 13 episodes from its originally-planned 26. Cartoon Network saw an opportunity and fronted the money for the second season. The result is a series that doesn't "look" like anime, but was made in Japan, aired first in Japan, and then paid for by an American company.

And finishes what a complete WTF was that ending.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
This discussion coming up again on this board and with the recent "controversy" regarding the Shelter music video has reminded me of how truly numb I've become towards contrived labels like "anime." And the fact that so many of the users on here are having their own definitions successfully dismantled one after another is proof of just how much the lines have been blurred. Stuff like Space Dandy airing in the US a whole day before Japan, non-Japanese directing films like Tekkonkinkreet, Japanese studios creating US animation inspired shows like Panty and Stocking, etc. Attempting to form a solid definition is pointless. I'm simply an animation fan who happens to also like a lot of animation from Japan. If a work's place of origin or staff members' nationalities are blurred, whatever. It doesn't really matter to me in the end, as something not being "anime" is not a negative thing. If I like it, that's that. I have more respect for the creative minds that produce these works of art rather than some trite classification over whether or not the works themselves are "Japanese enough." So I'm sure that we'll be asking ourselves this question over and over again until the end of time. But as long as we continue to get enjoyment out of the works themselves, whatever they actually are, that's all that really matters in the end.

In retrospect, this spiel came off extremely schlocky. Meh.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Well, yelling only makes you right if you're a Presidential Candidate these days. If there were no common visual style, how would you know "anime when I see it"? That says there is a predominant visual style that you apparently recognize as representative of anime. Thus, not objectively anything, you're just saying "I don't agree with you, because...REASONS". I'm sure many would agree that K-ON looks like Love Live!, which looks like any number of other "moe" shows, so these are examples of one style people recognize that doesn't appear in animated shows outside Japan (France excepted for obvious reasons) and so are recognizable as typical of anime.

I mentioned that there were several styles that are obvious which all originated in Japan and so make up anime in general, but you attempt to disprove the rule by the exception which is flawed. The Simpsons look nothing like Adventure Time , which doesn't look like any Disney show, etc. but would anyone mistake them for being anime if they knew nothing about them beforehand and never heard the audio? Now they might mistake Panty and Stocking not being anime if they knew nothing and didn't hear the audio because they are copying an American art style.

When I said, I know it when I see it, I think I expanded on that pretty well in the latter part of my comment. I was not referring to the visual style of a show, but something much harder to quantify and express.
Back to the "anime style", like Selipse said, in the quote below here, those shows I mentioned are not the rare exception, they are incredibly common. We have visually unique shows every flipping season. I've watched nearly 800 anime, covering a multitude of incredibly unique visual styles, and there is no one style that carries through even a majority of them. Anime is not a style, it is an amalgamation of dozens, or hundreds, of styles. They are all anime, but calling anime one style is incredibly simplistic, and insulting to hundreds of creators who are making things that look like nothing else we've ever seen.

Selipse wrote:

So I just called "cartoon" a style. it is. More accurately, I'd say it's a cluster of styles. Anime is the same. There's no one single anime style. Not even between what most people could recognize as anime. For example, K-ON and JoJo. Both are undeniably anime even to people who don't know anything, but look nothing alike.
I'm not really against saying that there are styles that can be categorized as anime. The thing is, anime itself shouldn't be defined by the style. There's not just a couple of exceptions, there are a ton. Even more so if you include manga (since most people use manga style and anime style interchangeably).

I agree with this.

In the end, what I have a problem with, are statements like:
"If it looks like anime, it is anime"
Or
"that's not anime because it doesn't have the anime style".
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Also, Thundercats 2011 was animated by Studio 4C.

I was amused by how many people thought the 2011 ThunderCats was anime just because of the way it looked and moved (some geniuses even wondered if it had Japanese voices, oi), but these were mostly comments from younger folks who had never seen or did any research on the original 1985 production. The original was animated by Pacific Animation Corporation, also a Japanese studio, but that still didn't make it an anime either.

I think where we draw the line regarding what qualifies as anime has gotten so skewed, it's really hard to even give it a proper definition any longer. I mean, back when I was growing up, "anime" was whatever came out of Japan and mesmerized North American TV-watching little kids in the early days, like Dragon Ball, Lil' Bits and Grimm Masterpiece Theater (that was before I knew the term though). As long as the characters had big shiny expressive eyes and crazy facial reactions, and the show had more detail than the average U.S. cartoon, it was "anime style" to us twerps of the early 90s.

Of course, that was a long time ago and I do agree that calling it "anime style" now is outdated and redundant. Thinking back, I imagine a lot of people could have mistaken the 1986 Dennis the Menace cartoon for anime considering it was a collaboration project that included TMS Entertainment, though it didn't exactly have big eyes on Dennis and the cast. Just goes to show how easily something was pegged as a "style" back then.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Anime doesn't exist

how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
If the original voices aren't Japanese, then it's not anime.

Avatar? Cartoon. Lyoko? Cartoon. Pokemon Generations? Cartoon.

Ah but then, what about Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Well, anime is, at the end of the day, just also cartoons. Anime was just an abbreviated term for animation in Japan that wasn't even coined until decades after animation already came on to the scene if I remember correctly. The main difference with anime is just the country of origin, and a rather distinct art style, but all in all they're cartoons.

You know, on a related note, I see a lot of anime fans trying to claim Avatar:The Last Airbender is anime (even though it was developed in the west) by citing the art style as "proof" to classify it as such.

Am I the only one thinking Avatar's animation style is more in the vein of older Disney animation than Japanese?

I'm a longtime avid anime consumer myself, and I never saw the "anime" style in Avatar's designs.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
How is The Transformers (G1) not on the list? Hell even the Unicron Trilogy.
Koda89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Reddit moderators didn't think that Porter Robinson & Madeons Shelter music video was "anime".

I do.

Those Reddit mods had some seriously draconian definitions for anime, like it had to be a series, meaning by their definition anime films aren't anime either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7