• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Anime's Animation Style So Hard To Imitate?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Peter Chung, who has experience in working with American, Japanese and Korean studios has written quite extensively about Japanese animation in another forum:
http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238&start=15

I think using Space Dandy as an example of the Japanese copying American animation really bizarre. "We're All Fools, So Let's All Dance, Baby" especially felt like an homage to Yoshinori Kanada style of animation.

People like to bring up Tezuka copying Disney but I would argue that pre-Tezuka anime is more directly Disney influenced than his works.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I'm curious about these American animators who seem to have a grudge against anime. Why? Is it the frame rate? I certainly can recall lots of anime sequences that "flow" just as smoothly as American ones (though I don't watch much American animation these days). Do they dislike the character designs? The lack of attention to mouth flaps? All these seem rather nit-picky to me as an outsider interested only in the aesthetics of the finished works.

American fascism + xenophobia.

"It's Japanese? Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders?! Get em outta here!! AMERICAN ALL THE WAY!!"

A-holes.

I don't know how disliking certain aspects of anime is "American fascism" or xenophobia. It's not disliked because it's SOLELY Japanese; it's disliked because it's not very fluid. Nothing to do with race, religion, culture. Animation buffs don't particularly like Hanna Barbera.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
@NearEastern, Its bigoted because one is generalizing over what is by far the world's largest and most complex animation industry. The best hand drawn animation in the world can be found in movies like Akira, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. Saying bad animation is an aspect of anime is like saying that being ignorant is one aspect of being American (since many are ignorant): its a bigoted belief. And a recent election just showed now even in 2016 bigotry is still a big thing in some countries. Wink Topgunguy hit the nail in the head.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Peter Chung, who has experience in working with American, Japanese and Korean studios has written quite extensively about Japanese animation in another forum:
http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238&start=15

Interesting fact that Chung is not fully aware of the massive influence manga had on anime. Many "animeisms" are derived from the visual language of manga. So he cannot say that the character designs in anime are made so that it's easier to animate because they are mostly copied from manga. Although it's true the harder to draw designs in some manga are simplified or just not adapted into animation.

Quote:
I think using Space Dandy as an example of the Japanese copying American animation really bizarre. "We're All Fools, So Let's All Dance, Baby" especially felt like an homage to Yoshinori Kanada style of animation.

Space Dandy is a good example of Japanese interpretation of American culture. Watanabe is an "amerikaboo" so it's like watching the inverse of an American directing animation aping Japan. Although I am not aware of anything like that unless you consider RWBY as being aping Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
@NearEastern, Its bigoted because one is generalizing over what is by far the world's largest and most complex animation industry. The best hand drawn animation in the world can be found in movies like Akira, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. Saying bad animation is an aspect of anime is like saying that being ignorant is one aspect of being American (since many are ignorant): its a bigoted belief. And a recent election just showed now even in 2016 bigotry is still a big thing in some countries. Wink Topgunguy hit the nail in the head.

Of course a lot of Americans are ignorant, but that's not fascism. As a Jew, I can't help but be irked at such a misuse of the word. Besides, the anime industry is only the largest by total output. It isn't the largest by revenue; not even close. But neither have anything to do with quality. Both American animation and anime have their poorly animated works, but objectively, on the basis of drawings and movement, American animation is better on average. More drawings in a sequence=more fluidity. It's mathematics. You can nitpick about Disney, like I've seen you do, but there is NO anime film that has animation on the level of the Fox and the Hound with its 360,000 drawings. It's also only 83 minutes, so you can do the math.

When it comes to 3D, there is no debate. You may not like the DESIGNS, but the QUALITY of the CG is superior in North American and European works. Some argue the CG is many anime is PS1 tier.

I'm being real. I GENERALLY prefer anime, BTW. Geass is better than even the best American animated cartoons in terms of story and sound. It's also fairly impressive for a TV show when it comes to animation. On OVA level. But is it as fluid as Tazmania? Not really.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Both American animation and anime have their poorly animated works, but objectively, on the basis of drawings and movement, American animation is better on average. More drawings in a sequence=more fluidity. It's mathematics. You can nitpick about Disney, like I've seen you do, but there is NO anime film that has animation on the level of the Fox and the Hound with its 360,000 drawings. It's also only 83 minutes, so you can do the math.

The thing is, the only objective thing is the number of drawings, and as I and other people already said, that alone doesn't make for better or more impressive animation. There's a lot of other things to take into account.
To be honest, I've never been as impressed by any American animated sequence as I've been by anime (and still constantly am; another point for Japan since America all but abandoned 2D).

I'm somewhat willing to concede on the 3D point. Yeah, 3D TV anime doesn't look as good as American movies. That point is objective. However, I wouldn't really say that Japanese 3D animation is worse. The thing is they have different priorities (mainly, trying to get it to look like 2D). Besides, Japanese games have fantastic 3D, so they clearly know how to do it. Just look at Final Fantasy. (Heck, there is a FF anime, and there were people who thought it was live-action. That's how good it looks.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with this. A lot of anime is pretty good and much of it can be fun to watch. There are those who don't like seeing anime-style shows,but I'm not one of those people. I don't know how the Japanese feel about foreigners imitate their stuff. I hope they do,I don't know for sure.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:

I'm somewhat willing to concede on the 3D point. Yeah, 3D TV anime doesn't look as good as American movies. That point is objective. However, I wouldn't really say that Japanese 3D animation is worse. The thing is they have different priorities (mainly, trying to get it to look like 2D). Besides, Japanese games have fantastic 3D, so they clearly know how to do it. Just look at Final Fantasy. (Heck, there is a FF anime, and there were people who thought it was live-action. That's how good it looks.)

Something I always found interesting was how I couldn't stand the CG aesthetic in American animated movies but American video games have a CG asthetic I'm more accepting of. Likewise with finding CG anime inferior to Japanese games. For whatever reason I enjoy the CG in video games a lot more than cartoons and anime. The only cg movie styles I like are the ones based on video games like the Final Fantasy, Tekken and Resident Evil CG movies.

-Stuart Smith
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Space Dandy is a good example of Japanese interpretation of American culture.

I'm not seeing that, especially animation wise. Yanki subculture has existed in Japan since the 70s and the show's intro has both Gundam and Ideon knock-offs, of which the former was never officially released in the west.

Sure, there's the Chuck Norris reference and Boobies (Hooters/Tilted kilt parody) but there's also an Agnes Lum reference, episode dedicated to ramen, Dandy himself wears traditional Japanese loincloth and Meow's hometown is based on rural Japan. I guess someone could make an argument that it's made/is pandering to Americans, who like 70s and 80s anime but that's about it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Space Dandy is a good example of Japanese interpretation of American culture.

I'm not seeing that, especially animation wise. Yanki subculture has existed in Japan since the 70s and the show's intro has both Gundam and Ideon knock-offs, of which the former was never officially released in the west.

Sure, there's the Chuck Norris reference and Boobies (Hooters/Tilted kilt parody) but there's also an Agnes Lum reference, episode dedicated to ramen, Dandy himself wears traditional Japanese loincloth and Meow's hometown is based on rural Japan. I guess someone could make an argument that it's made/is pandering to Americans, who like 70s and 80s anime but that's about it.

Another possibility to throw out: Parts of Space Dandy may also be based on what they think Americans think of Japanese culture, as some of it is decidedly over-the-top stereotypical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4