• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hollywood Blues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Speed Racer was garbage. But at least it tried to be its own thing, as opposed to Ghost in the Shell, which wanted to be Robocop.

And like so many bad movies that wanted to be Robocop, it failed to realize Robocop was SATIRE! (And Jesus symbolism, but satire). When Ghost is long forgotten, Robocop will still be remembered as a classic 80's film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo:
Quote:
And there's been absolutely no complaint about Watari, an englishman, being played by a Japanese actor.

His name's Japanese, but whatever. I think the real complaint would be that the one Asian role they could spring for is a stereotypical servant role which Bruce Lee tried to break out of, back in the day on Green Hornet. And, once again Edge of Bleeping tomorrow is not anime or manga. It's a novel with a manga tie-in.
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd suggest that Mike, and anyone else interested in live action adaptations like this, add to this list Mika Ninagawa's stunning 2007 movie version of Sakuran by Moyoco Anno. It was Ninagawa's first outing as a director, and you can see her background as a photographer in the lush, color-drenched scenery, which along with the sexy Ringo Shiina soundtrack really goes for it in trying to capture the fireworks insanity of the manga on film.

A lot of the same creative team was involved in the movie adaptation of Helter Skelter, which I haven't seen, but heard was pretty good as well. And if we're counting light novel adaptations, Sakuran lead Anna Tsuchiya is also in the pretty excellent movie for Shimotsuma Monogatari/Kamikaze Girls.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
genkisakurachan wrote:
Sakuran lead Anna Tsuchiya is also in the pretty excellent movie for Shimotsuma Monogatari/Kamikaze Girls.

Can't believe I forgot Kamikaze Girls, it's one of my favourite films. Other adaptations that I'm thinking of include the Crows Zero movies, and Sion Sono's Himizu, and the totally wacky Tokyo Tribe.

The difference is that Hollywood adaptations of comics tend to go for the over the top, visually excessive comics, the superheroes and the like, and if they are going to adapt manga, they'll go for the similar titles, while manga is far more diverse in terms of genre and settings.

Another classic adaptation that I recall is the awesome Battle Royale. Mind you, one Japanese superhero-ish adaptation I do like is K-20 Legend of the Black Mask.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kamikaze Girls and Battle Royale also ain't based off anime/manga....
Twage

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
The Cromartie High School movie was gonzo fun.

Do we count Darren Aronofsky (just, him as a person) as an anime adaptation? Wink
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the older live-action Lupin III movie from 1974 wasn't mentioned. I enjoyed the film back when Discotek first released it on DVD. The adaptation is faithful to the tone of the manga and the actors are into their roles, though the plot is paper-thin and some of the gags are too cartoonish.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There's never a good reason for an adaptation to be a total slave to its source material, especially something like Speed Racer. Otherwise, what's the point in doing it?

Anime does it all the time to great success. Why does Hollywood bother coating an unrelated project in a series' paint? But yes, why make shoddy adaptions in the first place instead of original works if you are not going to do a proper adaption? Laziness and cashing in on a popular franchise, basically.

Regardless, I just commented on the statement that the movie nailed the visuals of Mach Go Go, which was clearly false. It was about as faithful looking as the Super Mario Bros movie's dystopian cityscape. Thankfully, anime seems to be too esoteric for Hollywood to make successful.

-Stuart Stuart
I know it's useless to argue with you because you are one of those "Nippon is 100% great, western stuff is bad" people, but this seems like a pretty dumb post.

Speed Racer was a generic neon lit cityscape? Huh, did you even bother to watch the movie. It takes place in a super colorful 1960's semi art deco Jetsons esque future. There's nothing generic about it's overly cartoony blend of 60s era sci-fi mixed with Hot Wheels basically. It perfectly emulated the look of a cartoon world while yes being it's own thing. But I guess because it wasn't set in the 60s that disqualifies it. Even though it basically captured the look of the cars and characters 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mosaic

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I finally watched the live-action Cutie Honey movie two days ago, and I'm surprised it didn't get a mention, considering who directed it. However, as much as I generally love Hideaki Anno's work, that movie really didn't work for me at all. The garish digital cinematography made the movie look cheaper than it actually was, and Eriko Sato's endless, insufferable mugging brought just about every scene down.

The cheap effects and everything worked as an homage to the original TV series. Unfortunately, the Gainax Honey film sucks due to drastically changing the personalities of the main characters, and wasted villains. Although it's atleast entertaining, which is more than I can say for the Devilman film. A lot of Go Nagai's lesser-known-in-the-US titles got b-movie treatments to. Kekko Kamen has like, five live action films.

Cutie Honey Tears looks amazing, but it could've have strayed further from the source material. It's essentially a Metropolis knock-off.

Surprised nobody mentioned Dragon Ball Evolution yet.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:

The cheap effects and everything worked as an homage to the original TV series.

No man, that's not it. The film is cheap not as an homage to the original TV series but rather the film had a B-budget available. Kinda like Godzilla, a nice B-movie. No sane filmmaker will make a film purposely bad just because the original source is a low quality anime. Those that think otherwise are seriously deluded.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kamikaze Girls and Battle Royale also ain't based off anime/manga....
The creators went the other direction. Making manga in the wake of the Live Action adaptation of a story. Something similar happened with NANA, anime after Live Action, since we're on the subject of Anna Tsuchiya's very enjoyable career...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
y made until Chris Nolan brought back Batman in 2005 and kickstarted the current comic movie boom we're going through.

It didn't really kickstart anything aside from making Warner Bros. want to make more Batman movies after Batman & Robin put the series on ice for a brief period.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:

Cutie Honey Tears looks amazing, but it could've have strayed further from the source material. It's essentially a Metropolis knock-off.

I've watched it and it's pretty bad. Aside the look of the character and a couple of other things it's hard to tell it "Cutie Honey". Doesn't help that the lead character really can't act (same for most of the cast, actually).
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
To me, an adaptation should always strive to expand and improve upon the original. There's no point in recreating it exactly. Every work of art should stand on its own merits.

Or present the material in a way that offers people a new perspective on it in some way; that's also a totally valid approach. In any case, you're right that a literal re-telling is basically pointless, not to mention usually really boring, too (case in point: Gus Van Sant's virtually shot-for-shot remake of Psycho, which adds nothing to the original and is one of the biggest wastes of two hours I've ever spent watching a film). Anyone who thinks otherwise has probably never tried adapting something themselves. One of my first assignments in a creative writing class was to take a chapter from one of our favorite books and turn it into a basic movie or stageplay script. I started off the first draft just faithfully copying every line of dialogue in the chapter word-for-word, and it didn't take long to see for myself that it made for a very stiff and stodgy script.

The other hilarious thing with these "must be 100% faithful to anime/manga source material" purists is that anime/manga itself has a long and storied tradition of liberally borrowing and adapting stories from foreign cultures, from famous Western writers like Dumas (Gankutsuou) and Shakespeare (Blast of Tempest and many others), to Russian ballets (Princess Tutu), to Persian legends (Arslan Senki). Even Dragon Ball is just Toriyama's liberal adaptation of the Chinese novel, "Journey to the West." Of course, anime purists seldom say a word about all that, but at the first rumor of an adaptation that might change things from an original anime/manga source, especially an adaptation made by non-Japanese people, they're right on top of it with the pitchforks, torches, and boiling oil all primed and ready to go.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
The other hilarious thing with these "must be 100% faithful to anime/manga source material" purists is that anime/manga itself has a long and storied tradition of liberally borrowing and adapting stories from foreign cultures, from famous Western writers like Dumas (Gankutsuou) and Shakespeare (Blast of Tempest and many others), to Russian ballets (Princess Tutu), to Persian legends (Arslan Senki). Even Dragon Ball is just Toriyama's liberal adaptation of the Chinese novel, "Journey to the West." Of course, anime purists seldom say a word about all that, but at the first rumor of an adaptation that might change things from an original anime/manga source, especially an adaptation made by non-Japanese people, they're right on top of it with the pitchforks, torches, and boiling oil all primed and ready to go.

Uh.. because those are two different things? Dragon Ball is not to Monkey King as Dragon Ball Evolution is to Dragon Ball. Anime loosly based on a theme or story isn't meant to be a literal retelling, while Hollywood movies are meant to be an adaptions but always fail. Hollywood has never been good at adaptions lets be honest though. Animation just doesnt work in live-action either. Manga to Anime is the only faithful adaption it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5