• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
Fear not, Gabriella! Volume 8 of the manga is finally coming in December! And it is MOST welcome. Also I could totally jam to Stephen Starphase and Nicholas D. Wolfwood getting together for a drink and to talk about their respective situations and compatriots!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Really didn't think much of this episode compared to the last two. This third episode's tone lifts right from the manga compared to season 1.

I'm confused - I always thought manga readers viewed that as the ideal.

everapril wrote:
It didn't help that I was disappointed in how Stephen's party was handled. ... But it was so, so boring. The set was boring, the reveal was boring, Stephen's counter attack started out interesting enough but then went right, like immediately, into boring direction, just talking heads for too long until the scene wrapped.

Is this the difference between reading the manga and thus knowing what's going to happen and watching the anime with completely fresh eyes? Because all of that was riveting to me. I had been on the verge of falling asleep before putting this up to watch, but that whole scene woke me right up.

Everyone is worried about Zapp's dick, but I was more concerned about his head. Dude's gonna need a rug after having his scalp sanded down like that. Or maybe the permanent tonsure will be appropriate to his new lifestyle? I mean, it looked to me that rather than going to see Stephen, Leo noticed him, but then just drove right on past him.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I have overthink it a bit too much, but does Chain actually has a crush on Steven? (which makes sense to me consider how Steven has appeal to all genders Cool
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Maybe I have overthink it a bit too much, but does Chain actually has a crush on Steven? (which makes sense to me consider how Steven has appeal to all genders Cool

Thatr seemed pretty obvious to anyone but the man himself...

Another enjoyable episode. It was nice to find out more about Chain, though my personal highlight was the return of Mushroom-kun! Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So what is Chain's deal, exactly? Is she a hoarder?
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So what is Chain's deal, exactly? Is she a hoarder?

Pretty sure she just never takes out the trash.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Hey, in NYC, you take out the trash or recyclables on the wrong day, you get a ticket. I once had to shell out $100 for that mistake! Keeping track of which day to take out which type of trash is probably tougher when you frequently do all nighters at work.

Steven has a cleaning lady who does it all for him, lucky guy. If people want to encourage him to give a gift to Chain, she doesn't need flowers, she needs to borrow his maid for a few hours.

So...Steven is Chain's token? I thought it was a flower, because of all the floral imagery.

I admit I was confused because the whole episode I was waiting for werewolves. Why even call Chain and her fellow espionage angels "werewolves" if they don't turn into werewolves? They should be called "InvisiSpies" or something.

This show is super-fun and I'm sad it's one cour.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
My take on the whole thing was that they jumped the gun. Steven is her token, but her memories of flowers and such were enough to keep herself together so that she didn't need her last-resort token to even be used. She already seemed to be back when he came in, so she was embarrassed and threw a couch at him. Normal reaction. Smile
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote

In case anyone has doubts, the token says "Steven A. Starphase suddenly visiting Chain's room". She might have come back by herself, it's not obvious, but she certainly has a crush on Steven for that to be her token.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Was I reading too far into it when I took her token as being her actual fear that he would come visit her and see her filthy apartment? She's literally panicking as she tries to clean it when he walks through the door and she freaks out and throws furniture at him. I just assumed that was the joke: that she deliberately keeps her apartment dirty for the sake of her token and only cleans it as a means of using it (ie, she literally comes back from the brink of non-existence to avoid the humiliation of her love interest seeing an embarrassing side of her).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I do hope we see more of Phillip in the future. It was hilarious because Phillip is a butler... voiced by Ono Daisuke... whom I had just seen earlier in the day at the Kuroshitsuji BotA event, LOL. Talk about timing!

I also laughed at how Leo hides his money knowing that he's going to be mugged. ^^;
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gilbert Franke Altstein (get it?)

My friend doesn't get it. Please explain it to them.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Gilbert Franke Altstein (get it?)

My friend doesn't get it. Please explain it to them.

Easy peasy

Gilbert Franke Altstein

Franke + "n"

Altstein - "Alt"

= Gilbert Frankenstein
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Beyond is definitely not as great as the first season, but all of its episodes have been good. I am not sure if episode 5 has been the best of the bunch, but I really liked it and made me feel the magic of season 1. I hope at least 5 of the last 7 episodes focus on the overarching story arc; I have had my fill of episodic material.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Really nice to see more about Chain. Smile
Yeah, wish the season was longer, this show is so much fun to watch.

trilaan wrote:
Also I could totally jam to Stephen Starphase and Nicholas D. Wolfwood getting together for a drink and to talk about their respective situations and compatriots!

LOL that would be a hilarious crossover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8