• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Manga is becoming more widespread in America too. You can more often than not find some at a Barnes and Noble and similar book store chains. Some libraries carry them too. I was shocked when I discovered that my local library had a decent number of manga volumes available.

mangamuscle wrote:

Wow, just wow, mind blown (not in a good way). I am afraid to ask if similar questions have been asked about lolis -_-;

I'd actually be curious to read an article that delves into Japan's fascination with lolis.
neozxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I always knew why Americans are so narrow-minded in this regard, but those passport and travel numbers are outright depressing, especially for someone like me who tries traveling at least once a year.

I disagree with this. Many Americans now have access to the internet and yes while not versed as those of us that have gotten to travel they are willing to learn. Sure if they learn wrong then it is on us to help them to understand it better. I was lucky enough to have parents in the military so I got to travel and see the world. Then when I got old enough I also joined the military and got to see many cool places. Well Iraq isn't "cool" as in weather but it was fun.

epicwizard wrote:
I wonder why. Too costly for the license? The actors' talent agencies being a pain to deal with?

Btw, it's not just Japanese TV dramas that rarely get released here. Live-action kids shows, documentaries, and variety shows rarely get released here either. Your best bet to watch them here legally is TV Japan.

Actually Netflix has started making grounds with this. They have added a pretty good line up of both Korean and Japanese dramas.

FlowerAiko wrote:
Tempest wrote:

???

The USA is slightly smaller than Canada. Canada is the second largest country in the world, the USA is #4.

They're almost the exact same size. (~9.5 million square kilometers)

True, Canada does not have warm beaches like the USA, and I'm sure that is probably a significant factor...

As a Canadian, the vast majority of the north is frozen over and no one travels up there or lives there. Even skiers generally stay more southern than you'd expect.

So the actual parts of Canada with things to do and see is a lot smaller than you'd think.

This, I have a lot of Canadian friends and they will vouch that most of the land mass is uninhabitable. Alaska is a good comparison for those that don't know what a lot of Canada is like.

Also the US is #3 not #4. Irrc if you count overseas territories that makes us slightly larger then China.

{Edit}: I removed some off topic parts and combined your serial posts into one post. ~ Psycho 101}

Last edited by neozxtc on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read. Thanks!
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
So TD;LR, stereotypes. I've said it before and I'll say it again–Hollywood values don't represent American values like Akihabara values don't represent Japanese values.

Also, it seems the response was more from an American perspective when the question was about the West in general. I suppose a lot of similarities exist with Western European countries, except replace Hispanics with Muslims and remove guns from the equation. Conversely from a Japanese perspective, there's a term used for unmatched expectations in travel based on stereotypes called "Paris syndrome."
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
As a Canadian, um, no. Just no. We are travelers, Big-Time. Canadians travel everywhere and in many ways, from school trips to cruises to snow-bird flights to sabbaticals.

Yeah, a large immigrant population means we have a lot of people going to old country to see family but immigrants love to travel elsewhere, too; Many immigrants to Canada now have the sort of money they've never had before and travel is high on many people's list of things to spend that on.

I'm Canadian too. The point remains that the majority of those trips Canadians take is primarily to the U.S.A. A full 3 quarters in fact. The U.S. is the most popular destination.

As for other destinations ranking:

http://tourismintelligence.ca/2016/12/07/overview-of-canadian-outbound-travel/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Often, the only time other countries make headlines is when something truly awful is happening there, like a natural disaster or a terrorist attack. (This might be one reason why so many people are afraid to travel.)

It doesn't help that US media always focuses on any Americans that happen to be caught up in such things. If none are available, then it has to be a really big deal to even get coverage at all. The media apparently (perhaps rightly, I'm sad to admit) thinks that Americans just don't want to hear about anything happening outside the US unless other Americans are directly involved.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it would be pretty common these days for peoples views of other countries they've never visted (let alone lived in) to be colored by all the widely available media around today. I don't think this kind of thing would be unique to any one country.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the mainstream media focusing solely on local events, most people will never have a chance of learning what goes on outside of the U.S. on TV. However, I can say the same for every other country, including Japan.

Fortunately, thanks to YouTube and various social media networks all over the Internet, traveling to Japan isn't much of a necessity to understand its culture. Hence, the problem of stereotypes will eventually cure itself.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Often, the only time other countries make headlines is when something truly awful is happening there, like a natural disaster or a terrorist attack. (This might be one reason why so many people are afraid to travel.)

It doesn't help that US media always focuses on any Americans that happen to be caught up in such things. If none are available, then it has to be a really big deal to even get coverage at all. The media apparently (perhaps rightly, I'm sad to admit) thinks that Americans just don't want to hear about anything happening outside the US unless other Americans are directly involved.

To be fair, Philippine news media often make a point of noting whether or not Filipinos were affected by various disasters around the world.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

Also, it seems the response was more from an American perspective when the question was about the West in general.

That's because of the American mentality of "what is good for Americans is good for any Western country" too.

In fact, when the term "West" is mentioned from a purely American point of view, it usually refers to the United States, Canada, England, all English-speaking countries (except Jamaica, India and former British colonies) and all NATO countries. Any country that is not a member of this "distinguished" club of nations is not normally considered part of the Western world.
Ojisannn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, Justin, that was a great, warm & respectful piece answering a question that could've easily been a chance to laugh at anime fans or bemoan their gullibility. It's true - a lot of us fans take language classes, study the culture, and love to play the guessing-game of "real Japanese culture or just some anime trope?" while watching Sakura Quest or Hibike! Euphonium or whatever. Kudos!

And the image choice of Rei running with a piece of toast in her mouth - perfect. So, IS that a real thing? My guess is no : )
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
To be fair, Philippine news media often make a point of noting whether or not Filipinos were affected by various disasters around the world.

Places all over the world do that for their own people. People are more inclined to care about news if it's someone they know/someone they love from the same country, after all.

Quote:
According to a 2014 survey, 76% of us have at least TRIED to use chopsticks!

Uh, I think you're missing the point a bit by using that fact, Justin. A few South Eastern countries use chopsticks and while that does include Japan, it also includes China and Vietnam, so unless that survey specifically focussed on the Japanese side of things, it could have been any of those countries (and their associated restaurants/cuisine) that could have affected the statistic.

Compelled to Reply wrote:

...it seems the response was more from an American perspective when the question was about the West in general.

There's a small bit in the article that reads: "(I can really only fairly talk about America in this article. I'm sure some of these things are true in other Western countries as well.)"

For the topic at hand: Media is a way to get people invested in other cultures, however there needs to be proper research/experience done by you before you can say you know a culture "beyond its stereotypes". Not a lot of people get to that second step...
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
neozxtc wrote:

You think Europe is safe? Lets all the people in Nice or any other country that has had a large influx of immigrants. I'm sure those America chicks that got acid thrown in their faces will agree.

It depends which country in Europe we are talking about. Some countries are more dangerous than others. I would advise against visiting the UK, Sweden, Belgium, and France the most. I am happy to be Dutch, though I fear for the future with certain laws and issues happening. The US doesnt seem to have too many terror attacks. The last one I heard about was Orlando. Its a good idea to research before traveling.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
Yes, a lot of Western anime fans have some crazy ideas about what goes on in Japan due to them being kind of obsessed with anime, and holding it up as universal truth. I don't think that's a majority, but there are a decent number who do that. That being said a lot of Japanese have weird ideas about the West that are highly stereotypical due to consumption of U.S. entertainment.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
The most common misconception I've seen is people (typically young) who think Japan must be super friendly towards the LGBT community because of the popularity of yuri and yaoi, when that is absolutely not the case.

Codeanime93 wrote:
Again when you talk about Japan's portrayal of America I think of the OVA series Mad Bull 34 which had New York being a crime ridden hell hole, though I know it was based on tons of American action movies released during the 80s.

As someone who lives in New York that has always been something that amuses me greatly. I went to a school that had a lot of international students and a common sentiment I saw among the kids from Japan and East Asia in general is that they were surprised by how safe and clean it looked in comparison to what they'd seen in movies.

I also made friends with a girl from Korea who was surprised I couldn't breakdance, because according to her, black people in American movies are always such great dancers. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8