• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroCha0s

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Just like other people were saying, the auto-playing for the video is kind of annoying and I end up scrolling too far down to the point where I make the video start playing when I didn't mean too. I like how you guys are doing this new type of video news recap and I appreciate it but if you could just have some button or so to stop the auto-play then that'll be great.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Good ideal not so great implementation maybe have links to the video in the side bar as stumbling into a video that auto plays is not great for many reasons mobile data plans being one not bought up yet
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind them if they didn't autoplay.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
So that's what they were. I just sort of figured they were an ad or something, so I steered clear of them. It seems like a good idea, but I don't know if the placement is ideal.

I thought that is what they were, too. So, I haven't actually watched one yet since I would move on once I finished the article. I'm so used to ads auto-playing that I just assumed that is what they were.

I second what CeaseActivity said, as well. Putting them somewhere on the front page, like the banner, makes more sense since it is easy to find, and clearly shows what it is. Based on the comments so far, it is pretty clear that the current placement makes it look too much like an ad. Something that is easily accessible for those who want it, or easy to bypass for those who don't, makes more sense than an auto-playing video at the end of multiple articles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Has anyone mentioned yet that autoplay is the devil? Evil or Very Mad

It's not just annoying, it's alarming. I do not like it when my computer starts talking to me when I didn't tell it to, like it's possessed. The only redeeming quality here is that it only starts when I reach the end of an article instead of upon loading a page, and I can easily find it and shut it the f*ck up, unlike some autoplay ads that I have to mute my computer because I can't figure out where the hell they hid it on the page.

That I went looking for where to complain about it should tell you how much I hate it. I really, really hate it. Stop it.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Like most here, I also despise the new ads/videos. I have never been ok with auto-playing videos on any site I visit...in fact, I have been known to visit those sites LESS frequently because of them.

90% of the time, my headphones are on as my husband and I have our computers set up next to each other. I was reading a review for a current show I had just finished watching (so my volume was pretty high), and suddenly I have the ever-loving crap scared outta me when the ad started up (thankfully my drink was on my desk and not in my hand or I probably would have taken a shower...).

Please kill the auto-play.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
The common thread here is Auto-play is annoying.

I agree turn off Auto-play

I did finally watch the video after reading this thread.. content wise its acceptable.
It's a nice little roundup if you want to watch it.. the same can be gathered from the articles in print.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Remove them from the bottoms of all the articles and make them their own article. That way, everybody wins.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
First I want to say how sad it is, that those videos don't autoplay for me. Theerefore I didn't even notice them until this news and wouldnt have noticed them for weeks to come I assume because theyre awkwardly placed. I also dont need them, but they might be interesting for people who want to catch up with the days/weeks news. If thats the intended audience, theyre still awkwardly placed as many pointed out.
Scuzi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
I find them to be okay, but I'd find it better if you include them as a separate article, like "Your daily anime news round-up in 5 minutes" instead of an autoplay ad-like system

Last edited by Scuzi on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
These videos should be or could be better on Youtube, as a way to attract viewers to the site, or as a way to get some of the news on a quick manner. And if they get to youtube they should be longer. If you recap weekly news, there should be more news put into every video.

If you put these on Youtube, you can attract attention for your channel
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
Just because I watch anime, does not mean I want to watch you talking about anime. If I wanted that, I'd be over at YouTube. I am not at YouTube because I don't want that. Why are you trying to be YouTube, or every other damn site who thinks you need friggin' video?

I can read faster than you can talk. Text is downloaded faster than video. Text can also be skimmed by a reader, whereas video is much more difficult to skim through to find what is interesting.

This, especially the second paragraph.
michaelntj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
I don't mind that video ad being there, but at least please disable the auto-play because no one likes auto-play for ads. Thank you.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I have Ad Guard and Disable Autoplay, but I'm assuming that the video is that ginormous FMA image at the bottom of a bunch of articles?

Here are my thoughts:

1) As others have said, autoplay is horrible. At best, it's an annoyance. At worst, it can startle people, it could get someone in trouble (if they have sound up), it eats bandwidth, etc.

2) Assuming it is the FMA thing I saw, it's HUGE! It takes up the entire width of the article space, meaning it's way bigger than other images on the site.

3) I have assumed for a while that ANN has no intention of being mobile-friendly (the site force-loads all of the images before switching to my preferred no-images option), and this is just going to eat data. I don't have unlimited data, and now I cannot even check the site on my phone, lest my data get leeched.

4) It's unwanted. I doubt there's anyone who checks every article. People read what they're interested in. If, by chance, I miss something (usually because it's in the rotating header, which I always skip past), I'll notice the thread in the forums and check it out there. Forcing people to watch/listen to a news recap on every article is a) overkill, and b) going to turn people away from the site (as many others have commented).

5) If you intend to continue with this feature, I would definitely suggest making it its own article, perhaps stickied somehow to the top (or put in the top of the sidebar). If someone wants to watch it, they can go to its own page. You could even set it up similarly to the episode reviews, where you can go to each day/week/whatever's and view them. And at that point, autoplay doesn't even matter. Because people will have chosen to go to the video page, and are expecting it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy being a Subscriber protects me from these auto-play videos. Is this an evil scheme to encourage more people to become Subscribers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9