• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Apologizes for Offensive Native American Caricature, Will Update for Super Smash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Shoot I am mexican and love Speedy Gonzales. I was wondering why I never see him in cartoons anymore. Though I never knew T. Hawk was Mexican Shocked I thought he was native american. Now I am mad that he doesn't wear a pancho and sombrero Rolling Eyes
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe one day some of these companies will have the balls to just come and say:

"We will not remove or change anything because "X" very small group of sensitive people are crying over some stupid detail in a game that they probably will not even play, so get over it!"

Man, i can just wish...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm certain I'll get a lot of flak from this, but I didn't think it was really offensive. Though Native Americans tend to be an extra bit sensitive than most cultures, likely due to how they were treated in history. I feel like if Game&Watch turned into an American Flag while smashing someone with a baseball bat or wore a French hat while stabbing someone with a longsword, no one would bat an eye. This is just another case of people taking any show of their culture as a bad one.

Well, there's my honest opinion. Time to get treated like a horrible racist.

Yeah those examples you mentioned aren't nor would be considered offensive corny in the case of the American Flag/Baseball one but not offensive.

Shinuki wrote:

"We will not remove or change anything because "X" very small group of sensitive people are crying over some stupid detail in a game that they probably will not even play, so get over it!"

Man, i can just wish...

You can along with wishing also not actually entertain the idea that public companies would actually do this knowing full well it would likely lead to their profits and stock suffering and whoever made such a statement getting fired or resigning in embarrassment.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Ok let'a rein it in some and quit with the moral high ground attitudes. If you agree with this, great. If you don't, also great. Explain why either way. Coming in to simply be "outraged" that others are or are not offended themselves, and insulting each other, while not adding anything to the actual discussion is basically just trolling. So that stops now.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Shoot I am mexican and love Speedy Gonzales. I was wondering why I never see him in cartoons anymore. Though I never knew T. Hawk was Mexican Shocked I thought he was native american. Now I am mad that he doesn't wear a pancho and sombrero Rolling Eyes

From what I've observed, the typical way Speedy Gonzales is seen in Mexico is quite positive, namely because he always defeats the "gringo" (usually Sylvester, but sometimes WIle E. Coyote) and uses his speed not for overpowering, but for outwitting.

The way I see it, these stereotypes can be used, but only if the people they're stereotyping are mostly okay with it. I certainly remember the chief of the Seminoles stepping up when sports teams referecing Native Americans were getting changed, with him declaring that he felt proud to have a football team named after his people.

In this case though, the feather going away is fine with me, as it still references Nintendo history--it's just now for Game & Watch Gallery 4.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I've listened to several of my Native American friends go on huge rants about this kind of stuff, and I know what a big deal it was for them that Eugene Brave Rock spoke authentic Blackfoot in the Wonder Woman film (instead of having him speak the language of a tribe he didn't identify with). It probably didn't increase ticket sales in any meaningful way, but it made a world of difference to a lot of people. Similarly, this seems like a decent move.

While I don't know many Native Americans myself (aside from those of Mexican and Latin American origin), I did hear anecdotes about how this feather-on-the-head depiction, in which the Native Americans are typically the villains in the story, did lead to some childhood bullying by many, as their classmates expected them to play the bad guy and would get treated as such. This is something I can sympathize with, as I grew up bullied, in part, due to the Yellow Peril scare.

As a result, I think it's more important to portray things positively in works that will be consumed by a lot of children. Bullies will bully regardless of what media they consume, but they really don't need encouragement to zero in on particular ethnic groups. We get enough racial rivalries in our schools without it.

Shinuki wrote:

Man, i can just wish...

Any company that takes stances like these are going to remain small and niche. If they're bigger, they will become small and niche. Nintendo is too big, and the Smash Bros. budget too expensive, to adopt that attitude. It's great that there are some companies that don't compromise, as there is most certainly demand for that, but they risk becoming the next Phil Fish, whose gaming career and personal reputation went down a death spiral as that refusal to compromise combined with his brutal honesty dug himself deeper and deeper.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:

Man, i can just wish...

Check the Vavra-Resetera feud.

TL/DR:

-Vavra made a game about a little part of Europe along time ago.
-Resetera gets pissed off that no black people is present on the game.
-Vavra directly tells them to F-off and proceeds to mock them.
-Resetera plais dirty and tries to get him fired from his company... wich makes Vavra mock them even more because he is the owner.
-The game sells a lot, Resetera becomes a hug circle for offended people, and mentioning Vavra on any positive light is ban-worth on the forum.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Like many companies, Nintendo doesn't want to be one to "rock the boat" even if it was unintentionally.
We have been living in an era of an invisible "Comics Code Authority" when it comes to produced media with international trade has regularly been making awkward scenarios.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Y’know what? I don’t care about the feather. I really don’t. Whether it’s there or not really doesn’t bother me. If certain people are offended by it, then it doesn’t bother me if it’s removed for their sake.

So why is it that people are losing their shit about the “censorship” of something so insignificant as a feather in a minor animation of one attack in such a massive game? If it hadn’t been brought up as an issue, they probably wouldn’t have noticed its absence to begin with. Get some goddamn perspective, the sky isn’t falling just because society is more culturally sensitive these days. (In fact, cultural sensitivity is honestly a good thing because cultural insensitivity is the root of racism.)
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
If it hadn’t been brought up as an issue, they probably wouldn’t have noticed its absence to begin with.

It was actually the opposite. Resetera found a screen of it on a Japanese website and crusaded at Nintendo to get it removed. Nobody noticed it until they made it their mission to make it an issue.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
If it hadn’t been brought up as an issue, they probably wouldn’t have noticed its absence to begin with.

It was actually the opposite. Resetera found a screen of it on a Japanese website and crusaded at Nintendo to get it removed. Nobody noticed it until they made it their mission to make it an issue.

Obviously the presence of the feather pissed someone off. But would anyone be pissed off about it being absent if they hadn’t actually been told it was removed?
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
I suppose my age may be a factor in why I truly don't understand the issue, as I didn't see the character as a representation of a native American.

What does a feather have *anything* to do with being a native American? Are people still using this awful stereotype to represent *all* native Americans?

I stopped caring about people being offended years ago. Anymore, too many people flip their lids over the dumbest of issues.

This news article is a perfect example of this idiocy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4