• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
We haven't heard much if anything about how Carole's tastes in music developed.

And then we got this episode.

Episode 16

Carole and Tuesday pick up a bunch of random guys to be their background musicians for their music, and apparently can do an alright job despite their looks. But the meat of the episode was Flora, apparently a singer that was a big part of how Carole got into music, from Flora doing a concert in the refugee center when Carole was a kid. Flora has a history with Gus, and although it seems they are not really close to each other now, the bigger thing to notice is that Flora is clearly not doing well. She seems incredibly skinny and sorta frail, and even despite her otherwise well dressed appearance she apparently has nowhere to go back to, Gus can't leave her be but it would also be inappropriate for him to bring her back to his place, so she stays with the girls.

The episode seemed to be about some of the negative sides of the industry, that Flora kind of left Gus behind, who looked out for her, and she was used and abandoned by those around her, sub textually falling into a drug addiction. Carole and Tuesday had to get to their rehearsal for a gig that Gus got them, he said that they had to do that, but Gus had to go looking for Flora, he could not abandon her this time, telling himself that it did not concern him that his old friend and flame was not his concern. It was a nice part in Carole and Tuesday apparently able to reach Flora, that she could think better of singing after having grown to hate it.

Angela herself seems to be on the sights of something bad, having things like a possessive stalker, if not additionally that kind of gross guy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Of course, Tuesday seems mired in the 1980s since her favorite artist is Cyndi Lauper.

It seems that, given her cloistered homelife, her exposure to music was limited to her father's old records. Maybe he was a fan, or a collector of vintage music?

If Carole grew up in a refugee camp, she might also have had limited avenues for hearing music beyond what the refugees were undoubtedly making. Which would explain why she hadn't heard of Desmond, while Tuesday only had a brief recollection.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Angela herself seems to be on the sights of something bad, having things like a possessive stalker, if not additionally that kind of gross guy.

It's pretty obvious that the "gross guy" is her stalker. I don't think there are two different people.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, that guy has been creepy as f*ck right from the beginning.

But my highlight of the ep. was C&T literally finding their backing band under a bridge! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Ertegun has fallen. But first, we got revealed that indeed the creep around Angela was not her stalker, the guy even went so far as saying that he was using Angela as a source for rumours as to make himself a bigger deal, right before the actual stalker hacked a car to run him over. Getting a little serious, with this stalker hacker showing up as a storyline of something called J Cards also being hacked.

Back to Ertegun, his robot manager ran off with all his money, and left him bankrupt. Losing all his material possessions, the highest form of charisma has lost it all, showing his insecurities. Of course Roddy was not ready to give him up, inviting Ertegun to stay at his place for a bit, and encouraging him to get his mojo back. Is interesting that he seems to have gotten it by the end of the episode, having written a song without help of AI, and somehow convinced Tao to loan Angela to sing it via doing some beatboxing of the what he wrote. Kind of strange that Tao would actually allow that, especially since the thing he trusts is apparently AI, and had a not friendly relationship with Ertegun. But it was funny.

As for the stars, Carole and Tuesday have done an interview with that reporter who is looking into Valarie. Would hope that maybe he could put politics aside to not open a can of worms that they may not be ready to open, but it did look like he may have got what he was after in Tuesday saying that she would hate to have what her mother doing to negatively affect Carole, an immigrant. Sealing the deal of some seediness seemed to be him even throwing Spencer's name in as wishing her well, when Spencer specifically told him to leave Tuesday out of it. At the same time Spencer seems to have had enough of Valerie's short sighted anti Earth policies, and is disavowing himself from helping her anymore with it. Together this seems to point to something happening there soon, but it kind of seems bad for Valarie, which is odd if she is supposed to be the negative side.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
This show really, really, REALLY doesn't like modern technology, eh? Laughing

I was actually surprised that Angela's suitor was a creep but not her stalker )who seems to be on an entirely different level as far as being creepy and dangerous is concerned)...i wonder who's going to be his next target? Tao because Angela has very obviously more than just professional interest in him? Or maybe Carole & Tuesday as soon as they will become a "real danger" to Angela's success?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Took me a while to catch up on this show. How did I even miss out on this?

17:

I've never felt that this is an anti-AI show. AI (whatever this really means) is here to stay: it's going to be part of our livelihood and it wouldn't be naive to say that we will not be able to live without it anymore. Ertegun relied heavily on it for decades, so he definitely knows how dependent we've become with them. To think that AI is playing a important role even to our own self-esteem, now that's worrisome.

Data leaks? Data security problems are inevitable once your information gets digitized. The main theme of this episode? Privacy. AI makes privacy almost impossible to be practiced. Once word gets out, it spreads like wildfire and AI adds fuel to it. Even Angela is not immune to it.

At the end of the day, AI is not going anywhere. It is what it is and it gets what we want, from composing chart toppers to churning out virtual currency (if it wasn't for our resident AI rascal). This show does romanticize the old ways of making music, and how you have to look back at how things were done in the olden days in order to set us back in the right path... whatever that right path may be.

But most importantly, it harkens to the old ways of making music just to highlight how some things won't change. The paparazzi (Angela's rumored squeeze, and Ertegun's bankruptcy), the perils of success (Flora), the unwanted attention (people claiming to be Carole's family), idol obsession (Cybelle), live concerts (Cydonia Festival, which is Burning Man, which is also re-transformed Woodstock), *how music brings people together (basically the whole point of the show)... they're all part and parcel of the music industry. Despite AI pervading just about everything, including the music industry, some things just take on different forms since they're all what defines us as human beings.

*in fact:

spoiler[I think the ending will be something about Carole and Tuesday uniting everyone on Mars despite the volatile and polarizing political climate (every show seems to take a shot at this, one way or another). Music is about connecting people, after all. Kinda like Macross without the mecha.

The duo becoming a real threat to Angela's success? I don't think that's the point of the show. It's a one-sided rivalry to begin with: Angela wants commercial success (why? that's another big topic). Carole and Tuesday are just in it for self-expression. If anything, Angela will end up rooting for the two, if her ego allows it.]

Ertegun is my hero, btw.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
So what was with creepy now-dead (?) IT genius guy saying he wanted to be her knight and her reacting to that? And him having almost the same profile as creepy stalker-guy? I hope there's more to this than just a stupid red herring.

I liked creepy stalker-guy's cybernails.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So what was with creepy now-dead (?) IT genius guy saying he wanted to be her knight and her reacting to that? And him having almost the same profile as creepy stalker-guy?

Misdirection that the culprit could be so easily identified. A point about how such (maybe cheesy) lines can actually be upsetting, as the same type of lines a possessive stalker would use, and not the same thing Angela was looking for when her songs came from her heart in being recognised by someone in particular.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

Tuesday got a bit too into the journalist, who she shares some chemistry with, and she got her heart broken when learning that he is attached. He did seem like a good guy, who kind of payed special attention to her. But there is also kind of a noticeable age gap that made it a little uncomfortable. Still hoping he stays good, not trying to use Tuesday to get to her mother, like Carole was afraid of.

Well, their date also had them witness a terrorist attack, some sort of weather building, which apparently keeps them at normal temperature, because Mars is cold, so sudden weather change. The blame was on immigrant terrorists, which help Valarie, but seems likely that her campaign manager is somehow involved, whether directly causing it, or maybe something like purposely pushing and helping the people that did it. As much as not a big fan of Tao, I hope he gets through things okay, and not give into some sort of dark side.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
I don't think the journalist did anything to (intentionally) lead Tuesday on. She's had a very sheltered life with probably little to no contact to members of the opposite sex outside her immediate family, so it makes sense that a man treating her kindly would confuse her...

I wonder what it means that everything aside from his profession on Tao's profile is "unknown". Is he some kind of clone? Or a refugee from Earth?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
18:

Poor Tuesday. She finally finds someone whom she can connect with on a personal level, and she learns the hard way (again) not to be too trusting towards people. Looks like she still didn't learn much from her experience with Cybelle.

It's like what Merida has pointed out: if anything, Tuesday's interaction with Kyle just showed how sheltered her life has been. I can't really fault her for being gullible, especially after knowing what kind of life she's been through. And the fact that she's revealing some intimate information about her mom to someone she barely knew and only claimed to be a journalist. Tuesday can count herself lucky if Kyle reveals to be someone harmless.

And speaking of Kyle, I can't trust him. He seemed nice... but you know who else also seemed nice at first? Cybelle, and that didn't turn out well. The biggest issue now is, we don't know his true intentions. As a journalist, his main motive is to get information and he's frank enough to admit that he's originally meant to discredit Tuesday's mother. But that's just what he claims; he could've said that just to make himself seem trustworthy. A journalist can do that; after all, they're just in it for information, right?

Kyle behaving so calmly when a weather plant blew up? Now that makes me even more suspicious. Is it because he has experience on the battlefield (as inferred from his hearing loss because of a land mine), or worse, because he has something to do about it? We cannot rule out this possibility yet. It's tempting to associate the incident with Valerie's campaign; maybe Jerry had something to do with it. But we don't know; in fact, we don't know a lot of things.

I like how this show is taking a stab at current world issues without being too deep into it. Everyone's commenting about fear-mongering populism and dangers of AI these days; it almost seems like a show would feel outdated if it doesn't get on this bandwagon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

What a nice episode.

Well, most of it really seemed to be about the Angela stalker plot, with Tao finally getting involved, with his tech savviness being able to suss out how Dark_Knight is watching her, including through her pet in a way the police could not catch. Knowing the stalker will show himself at Angela's performance, Tao helps set a trap, and even was quick to notice that the guy they caught was a diversion and managed to save Angela, giving her a thumbs up for her to do her performance in Ertegun's comeback. Also considering an earlier part that had Tao turning down to work with the sleazy politician guy, because he does not do politics, it is an interesting view that Tao might not be as amoral as we thought. His thumbs up even looked like what we might have thought earlier as out of character.

And finishing up on C&T's performance, where they spent their parts of the episode trying to figure out how to be flashy with their performance, being ready to try and match Angela when they found out she is involved. But after they saw Angela and Ertegun's performance, which of course would be flashy and would be a fool's errand to try and match, they do theirs a total 180, and try to make it as chill as possible, telling the audience to imagine themselves in their living room. Even Ertegun seemed to enjoy their performance, while Angela's annoyed look seemed to show that she did not manage to dominate her rivals.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
As much as i enjoyed Tao being cool, the resolution to that stalker plot felt a bit underwhelming after all that build-up. It would have been nice too watch Tao playing cat & mouse with the guy a bit longer at the very least, but i guess the show is running out of time..."sleazy politician guy" has probably something up his sleeve to blackmail Tao into working for him. So is it going to be Carole's turn for a (non-)romance with that rapper now?

The songs were nothing to write home about again, except for Ertegun's performance, that was stellar! Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
As much as i enjoyed Tao being cool, the resolution to that stalker plot felt a bit underwhelming after all that build-up. It would have been nice too watch Tao playing cat & mouse with the guy a bit longer at the very least,

Maybe run the risk of glorifying the crazy stalker, like some sort of battle among stalkers, rather than a crazy guy that happened to have some okay tech ability, but mostly single minded, rather than some sort of desire to play the game.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Merida wrote:
As much as i enjoyed Tao being cool, the resolution to that stalker plot felt a bit underwhelming after all that build-up. It would have been nice too watch Tao playing cat & mouse with the guy a bit longer at the very least,

Maybe run the risk of glorifying the crazy stalker, like some sort of battle among stalkers, rather than a crazy guy that happened to have some okay tech ability, but mostly single minded, rather than some sort of desire to play the game.

Huh? How would that have "glorified" the stalker? The show buillt him up to be some dangerous tech whiz in the first place, just to do exactly nothing with it in the end...and what "battle among stalkers"? Is Tao a stalker now? Confused

Anyhow, i simply don't get the point of having another stalker after Cybelle if they didn't plan to do anything more with him. Yes, celebrities have to deal with stalkers, we really get it now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6