• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Gets 2 More Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
My issues with Shield Hero wasn't the controversies, but that it was a show with some great ideas with terrible execution. It had some things to say about propaganda, religion, groupthink, manipulation, morality, the consequences of the careless actions of the rich and powerful, but it never did anything with any of it. The church of the Three Heroes is evil but instead of exploring the religion and how they influence the world they just defeat them in one badly choreographed fight scene. The villains are flat and dull, and everyone either hates the Shield Hero (and those people are always evil and/or stupid) or worshiping the ground he walks on, with no in between. No gray, just a lot of black and white.
The part where I knew I was done was when they spoiler[pretended to kill off two of the more competent heroes, Sword and Bow. I was super excited because it was a complete game changer. Naofumi's life just got ten times harder, he'd have to convince the world to trust in him instead of killing him and re-summoning some new people, and it would force him to work with the other remaining hero, spear. I couldn't wait to see where this twist took us. But nope, it was a fakout death and everyone was fine]. Whee.

I don't think I'll watch the new seasons unless it seriously fixes its issues.

It's literally not possible to save the world if any of the heroes are missing, it should have been obvious they weren't actually dead because then the series would end and Fitoria would actually kill Naofumi herself. Also many of your issues are just the result of you judging the series by its first arc. There is SO much more world building, plot twists, and character backstories that flesh out everything from the first season (including the stuff dealing with King Aultcray) that it's silly to judge stuff based off the first season alone.

Shield Hero is a long running web/light novel series and it takes time building up to plot reveals and motivations for characters so of course if you're judging it solely on the first season when Naofumi still knows VERY little about the world then it's going to seem shallow. It's like how people were criticizing the first episode when it aired about how it made no sense why Naofumi was treated badly or how the Matriarchy line was a plot hole because a king was in charge which is all stuff answered as the season went on but people were too impatient to get that stuff explained.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

It's literally not possible to save the world if any of the heroes are missing, it should have been obvious they weren't actually dead because then the series would end and Fitoria would actually kill Naofumi herself. Also many of your issues are just the result of you judging the series by its first arc. There is SO much more world building, plot twists, and character backstories that flesh out everything from the first season (including the stuff dealing with King Aultcray) that it's silly to judge stuff based off the first season alone.

Shield Hero is a long running web/light novel series and it takes time building up to plot reveals and motivations for characters so of course if you're judging it solely on the first season when Naofumi still knows VERY little about the world then it's going to seem shallow. It's like how people were criticizing the first episode when it aired about how it made no sense why Naofumi was treated badly or how the Matriarchy line was a plot hole because a king was in charge which is all stuff answered as the season went on but people were too impatient to get that stuff explained.

Really? Giving a show 25 episodes, aka 5-ish hours of my time "Was not enough?"
Also it's fiction, not reality. Shield and Spear struggling to find a way to still save the world spoiler[when half their crew has been blown to smithereens] could've been written, because again, it's fiction. Their world isn't real and set in stone.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
I hope the new season keeps on hammering the fact that this is a different route. It's a double like because it makes it more interesting ot watch it and it pisses off some light novel readers, the ones that have been spoiling the show left and right and who claim that the light novel is the canon version (even though they are multiple routes). It's almost as fun as pissing off fate primaries.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I hope the new season keeps on hammering the fact that this is a different route. It's a double like because it makes it more interesting ot watch it and it pisses off some light novel readers, the ones that have been spoiling the show left and right and who claim that the light novel is the canon version (even though they are multiple routes). It's almost as fun as pissing off fate primaries.

???
I don't understand. If you're arguing that the anime has changed the characterization of some characters, i can agree with. But it sounds like you're claiming it has changed the story. There have been some differences, mostly cut content, but i can't think of anything that has changed drastically enough to call the anime a different route.

I do, however, think the WN is a different route from the LN.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow... not just one but two seasons of more Shield Hero!? Well I am kinda looking forward to it to see where it goes especially since the world seems expansive. Especially since it has a lot of light novel material to go by. However I am concerned when they say "two seasons", could they mean a season split for two cours?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for fans of the series.

At the end of the day, The Rising of the Shield Hero is entertainment. And if you are not entertained, you do not have to watch it.

But with two full seasons green lit for production, it proves that a lot of people were entertained, and it was profitable.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
But with two full seasons green lit for production, it proves that a lot of people were entertained, and it was profitable.

True true. While keeping apace with the novel itself, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the rest of this adaptation.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Really? Giving a show 25 episodes, aka 5-ish hours of my time "Was not enough?"
Also it's fiction, not reality. Shield and Spear struggling to find a way to still save the world spoiler[when half their crew has been blown to smithereens] could've been written, because again, it's fiction. Their world isn't real and set in stone.

No 5 hours isn't enough for a long form story, that's like complaining you can't get all the plot reveals in One Piece in the first 30 episodes, longer stories take time developing their world and plot. Also that wouldn't have been consistent with the foreshadowing and literal statements made by various characters over the course of the series and it would have been a waste to kill off Itsuki and Ren there especially in regards to their future development. Characters dying or getting killed off don't automatically make for a good story and I rather have Ren and Itsuki stick around because they do make the plot more interesting later on.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
No 5 hours isn't enough for a long form story, that's like complaining you can't get all the plot reveals in One Piece in the first 30 episodes, longer stories take time developing their world and plot. Also that wouldn't have been consistent with the foreshadowing and literal statements made by various characters over the course of the series and it would have been a waste to kill off Itsuki and Ren there especially in regards to their future development. Characters dying or getting killed off don't automatically make for a good story and I rather have Ren and Itsuki stick around because they do make the plot more interesting later on.

Ok but One Piece laid out the plot, its world, fought four groups of villains, as well as introduced and endeared me to its cast of characters in the first thirty episodes. And it's slow as molasses. Shield Hero did not manage to endear me to most its cast or really do much of anything in the same amount of time. Just kind of faffed about and hinted at stuff.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Ok but One Piece laid out the plot, its world, fought four groups of villains, as well as introduced and endeared me to its cast of characters in the first thirty episodes. And it's slow as molasses. Shield Hero did not manage to endear me to most its cast or really do much of anything in the same amount of time. Just kind of faffed about and hinted at stuff.

That seems more like a personal problem then any personal failing of Shield Hero. I cared about characters like Raphtalia, Filo, and Melty. I might be a bit bias but I also love Naofumi as a protagonist but that's also because I was able to see his thought process when I read the light novels. I know I'm not alone in liking the main characters and they were extremely popular so I guess you can't act like objectively the series failed to endear people to its cast, it's definitely subjective there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I know I'm not alone in liking the main characters and they were extremely popular so I guess you can't act like objectively the series failed to endear people to its cast, it's definitely subjective there.

Actually yes they can. The show might have endeared you to the cast, but not everyone is you. Not everyone enjoyed it. People can have differing opinions without being told they have a personal problem for liking or not liking a show.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
I know I'm not alone in liking the main characters and they were extremely popular so I guess you can't act like objectively the series failed to endear people to its cast, it's definitely subjective there.

Actually yes they can. The show might have endeared you to the cast, but not everyone is you. Not everyone enjoyed it. People can have differing opinions without being told they have a personal problem for liking or not liking a show.

Did you even read what I wrote!? I LITERALLY said it's subjective and trying to tell the guy I quoted that it wasn't objective that the cast wasn't endearing and that we had a difference of opinion. Please actually pay attention before posting a response.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
???
I don't understand. If you're arguing that the anime has changed the characterization of some characters, i can agree with. But it sounds like you're claiming it has changed the story. There have been some differences, mostly cut content, but i can't think of anything that has changed drastically enough to call the anime a different route.

I do, however, think the WN is a different route from the LN.

yeah,I started with the manga when there were like 2 chapters out so I read the webnovel instead, as I was very curious about the media. The webnovel came first, it already "ended" but the webnovel ending just starts a loop, so it can be argued that the LN , anime etc.. are more loops/a sequel of the wn. considering that certain characters that appear in the LN/anime got killed by spoiler long before they had a chance to appear and naofumi's personality changes are well in line with what is implied by the sequel.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Did you even read what I wrote!? I LITERALLY said it's subjective and trying to tell the guy I quoted that it wasn't objective that the cast wasn't endearing and that we had a difference of opinion. Please actually pay attention before posting a response.

They did, they just seemed to not quote the rest of your response. You said it was their personal problem that the show didn't endear the characters to them, but that's not true. If the show didn't engage them, then its the shows fault in one form or another.

And they are right to an extent. I liked Shield Hero fine, but it meandered around a lot with Naofumi being pissy about his false accusation and being a butt-head (with mildly good reason) only for Fitoria to say "Did you try to prove your innocence?", which in reality is one of the first things someone would do in this situation. So its not like their complaints are completely unfounded.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Even if he had said that exactly, no one would have believed him. Also, I would have to watch the first episode again, but I believe, while he didn't say the exact words, he did indicate that the accusation wasn't true. With the reception he got in the audience chamber, no one would have believed him, even if he had gotten down on his knees and swore to god it wasn't true.

spoiler[In the future, The Three Heroes are basically broken idiots, they never learn from their mistakes, just like many people in real life. Hell, the Spear Hero spin-off, is just him trying to redeem himself in an alternate parallel universe. Don't know if he had to die first, or just went back in time.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5