• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Switch Game's Japanese Version Is Based on Wii U Game's Weste

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
There is some interesting speculation that part of the reason for the censorship coming even to the Japanese version is so that they can have a single global version that is able to conform to Chinese standards. If that is the case, it may be possible that content will be restricted in future first party Nintendo games to conform to Chinese standards, and that likely includes both fan service and LGBT content. This doesn't affect Mario or most Nintendo franchises, but it would affect Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo simply made a version that conformed to Chinese standards and one that was fine with the rest of the world, but it's cheaper to make one version and simply be done with it.

That is not speculation, that is mean-spirited sinophobia. Some acted like Chinese local games don’t have excessive fanservice or LGBTQ elements, well, just because you don’t know does not suggest they do not exist. I could have listed a long list of the Chinese mobile and browser games that do contain those contents, but I guess the currently airing Azur Lane should give people some idea, and for your information, the officials streaming version on Bilibili has the uncensored version of the anime.

I know it’s popular to blame everything on China and paint it like a purgatory, but let’s drop the conspiracy theories, Chinese money do not have near as much power as you might think, and especially Japan, they care much more in Europe due to existing market than China, which console gaming is still relatively niche
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
A game doesn't need to say anything.

Ah yes, when all else fails, they always put out the patented "but not everything needs to say anything!" card. If a game "doesn't need to say anything" then why the heck was Chapter Three trying to say something, dumb as it was? Stories always say SOMETHING, that's what theme and character are, otherwise you're just consuming emptiness.

Because here's the thing, this is not about "censorship," it never was, it is about "fans" being mad that they're once again told that they don't have control over a franchise, that they're not the boss, that it's Nintendo's game and not theirs. And guess what, if there is one thing I've learned it's that those types of "fans" are dime a dozen, unreliable, and easily replaced.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love strawmen and backseat psychology. The game already bombed once, so maybe fans aren’t easily replaceable since the game was super niche to begin with.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Because here's the thing, this is not about "censorship," it never was, it is about "fans" being mad that they're once again told that they don't have control over a franchise, that they're not the boss, that it's Nintendo's game and not theirs. And guess what, if there is one thing I've learned it's that those types of "fans" are dime a dozen, unreliable, and easily replaced.

If the people complaining about censorship were so easily replaceable, the game likely wouldn't have bombed to the extent that it did on the Wii U. Though, censorship aside, the game makers arguably ignored what the fanbases wanted from an SMT and Fire Emblem crossover in the first place. The latter reason is why I'm avoiding it.

You could be right, and it's just a vocal minority, but the only way to prove that is if the game succeeds despite being censored. I guess it could if only because it's on the Switch, but we'll see. I've personally observed that even if a creator shouldn't necessarily do everything a fanbase recommends, enraging a fan base then doubling down on the reason of enragement doesn't end up well.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Gotta love strawmen and backseat psychology. The game already bombed once, so maybe fans aren’t easily replaceable since the game was super niche to begin with.

Gee, it's almost like it was on a system with a far smaller userbase and coming out in the last year of said system's life. Context, it's useful to know.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Gee, it's almost like it was on a system with a far smaller userbase and coming out in the last year of said system's life. Context, it's useful to know.

Gee, it’s almost like a Japanese-centric game about idols is niche or something. Do you not remember the vitriol when the game was revealed and it wasn’t the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game that everyone wanted? You might want to think before you hit that reply button next time Smile

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't care whats censored and what isn't. I'm still very excited to finally play this game.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

Gee, it’s almost like a Japanese-centric game about idols is niche or something. Do you not remember the vitriol when the game was revealed and it wasn’t the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game that everyone wanted? You might want to think before you hit that reply button next time Smile

Uh, you're basically admitting many of its critics were toxic and acting in bad faith.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Uh, you're basically admitting many of its critics were toxic and acting in bad faith.

I don’t know where you’re getting that. The people that are criticizing the edits are a completely different group than the group that didn’t want an idol RPG and were expecting something different. It’s two different controversies with two different groups of people.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Because here's the thing, this is not about "censorship," it never was, it is about "fans" being mad that they're once again told that they don't have control over a franchise, that they're not the boss, that it's Nintendo's game and not theirs. And guess what, if there is one thing I've learned it's that those types of "fans" are dime a dozen, unreliable, and easily replaced..

Considering Nintendo of Japan's apology to Japanese fans and offering them full refunds, that doesn't really hold up. Nintendo of Japan clearly knows this is a bad situation for them and have to do their best to appease the Japanese fanbase. Now, judging by your posting history, you do seem to be against changes when it's something you care about, You can't be upset about companies changing their work for the Chinese market while also cackling with glee whenever something you don't like is changed for an American market and say it's for the better. That's what I would personally call 'bad faith' acting.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
While I don't like censorship as a rule of thumb I'm not going to throw a fit over minor changes. But wasn't #FE pretty much the poster child of Nintendo's egregious Wii U-era practices? Like getting rid of a breast slider or sexy bonus costumes is one thing, but outright altering the plot to the point of having seiyuu rerecord their lines to match is some SNES level nonsense.

Fates and #FE were probably the one-two combo of that era that paved the way for American localizations as being seen as a joke again. Both of which, thankfully, spurred fans to create mods and patches that allowed for uncensored translations and content being added back into the game so people could enjoy them as they were meant to be played.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
That is not speculation, that is mean-spirited sinophobia. Some acted like Chinese local games don’t have excessive fanservice or LGBTQ elements, well, just because you don’t know does not suggest they do not exist. I could have listed a long list of the Chinese mobile and browser games that do contain those contents, but I guess the currently airing Azur Lane should give people some idea, and for your information, the officials streaming version on Bilibili has the uncensored version of the anime

The fact China has a very similar taste to the rest of the world very may well be the reason why there's people trying to push a sinophobic angle. China loves fanservice, they love idols, they love isekai, they love the exact same stuff western and Japanese otaku do. Which is a problem to the vocal minority of people who don't.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Ah yes, when all else fails, they always put out the patented "but not everything needs to say anything!" card. If a game "doesn't need to say anything" then why the heck was Chapter Three trying to say something, dumb as it was? Stories always say SOMETHING, that's what theme and character are, otherwise you're just consuming emptiness.

You were the one who said "the story isn't saying anything". The "message" was Tsubasa wanted to be more confident to pose in her swimsuit. That's it. You not liking the message is not the same thing as it not being there. This just comes off like you're upset the game has titillation in it and you dislike seeing other people enjoy things.

Fun is not emptiness. It is, and always will be, the main purpose of media. If more people focused on that rather than their culture war battles, I think people would find a much more healthy and happy lifestyle.
Mallic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ya know it's actually kind of funny. I cant help but imagine the people claiming those who wont buy the western version of this game are pedos and pervs and whatnot for not buying a changed version of the game, are likely the same people who lambasted nintendo and accused them of being bigoted when they didn't allow the pride flag in smash ultimate.

Not saying one is inherently more worthy of censorship then the other, in fact I find many of the changes to be rather minor and dont impact the game as a whole, as opposed to something like fire emblem fates where they changes entire storylines and character personalities. That's worth getting upset over. I just find it funny how people can tell others to shut up about censorship, until they are the ones who get censored.

Ya know....food for thought.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Now, as this information came out, the artwork was updated to the censored versions, which is effectively false advertisement.

It's only false advertisement if they knowingly intended to mislead people about which version of the game they were going to releasing......which of course we can't prove here.

Dark Absol wrote:
If it was censored, then what's the point of the age ratings?

The age rating doesn't really stop something that someone may find offensive from being excluded from a game a specific game. All the ratings exist for is to ensure a game is marketed to and sold towards the right demographic.

DavetheUsher wrote:
onsidering Nintendo of Japan's apology to Japanese fans and offering them full refunds, that doesn't really hold up. Nintendo of Japan clearly knows this is a bad situation for them and have to do their best to appease the Japanese fanbase.

A fanbase in a market that's notoriously finicky when it comes to games to the the point most games on average don't break a million copies. With the original (unedited) version of this very game selling around 30,000 copies in that same market.

Crispy45 wrote:

Fates and #FE were probably the one-two combo of that era that paved the way for American localizations as being seen as a joke again. Both of which, thankfully, spurred fans to create mods and patches that allowed for uncensored translations and content being added back into the game so people could enjoy them as they were meant to be played.

Except in Fates case the fan translation is little more than a literal translation of the Japanese version of the game. Which has been criticized chiefly for that reason. So saying it was meant to be played like that within that context is kind of not true?

Crispy45 wrote:

The fact China has a very similar taste to the rest of the world very may well be the reason why there's people trying to push a sinophobic angle. China loves fanservice, they love idols, they love isekai, they love the exact same stuff western and Japanese otaku do.

Well sure until you publicly criticize the government or support groups that oppose the Government and it's petty BS or even point out some questionable decisions like annexing land that's not theirs.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
Mallic wrote:
Ya know it's actually kind of funny. I cant help but imagine the people claiming those who wont buy the western version of this game are pedos and pervs and whatnot for not buying a changed version of the game, are likely the same people who lambasted nintendo and accused them of being bigoted when they didn't allow the pride flag in smash ultimate.

They are, but the general rule of thumb is "it's okay when we do it". Personally I find it sad so many people here are so insecure and upset at what games other people like to play in their free time to the point they have to hurl insults and in general be extremely toxic.

Anyway, I loved the news reports on the Wii U version sales spiking on Japanese retailers once the news about the Switch version being censored came out so I had to check it for myself. Guess a lot of people who missed out on it initially went back and bought the Wii U version once they heard the Switch version was going to be censored. As of this post the Wii U version is ranked #1,042 in video games on Amazon Japan and The Switch version is ranked #1,061. That's pretty amazing to see a Wii U game so high up and even doing better than a Switch game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
This site is like The Twilight Zone of anime/gaming fans, wow. People actually promoting censorship of make-believe people/situations, then unironically and preemptively calling any would-be dissenter an incel. These are the peak idealogues of our age I guess..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5