• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aspiring Animation Creator Alleges Corporate Bias Against Diverse Creators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Oh I fully understand that, though the fact they are having cold feet now makes me kinda wonder what went wrong this time. Normally companies double-down, but unless they are seeing this reaction plus the reaction to Marvel's recent misadventure and thinking maybe they shouldn't push it

Guess I'll addendum my post by saying I don't think it matters outside niche hobbies that can't fall back on the mainstream audience. Anime targets a specific fanbase and even the most mainstream anime is still super niche compared to broader movies, games, and TV shows out there. So if CR upsets the anime community they lose no matter what which is why they can't double down like a big company like Pepsi, Activison, or Disney can since the average person doesn't care about the drama surrounding a soda, or the new Call of Duty game.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok,but what is diversity? Not what they've been trying to shove down my throat these past few years,thats for sure.
It's hard to promote diversity the way it's being promoted nowadays because you can never cover everyone.
For example, Just because there is now a "Hispanic" Spider-man in the form of Miles Morales, I think there is an expectation that I should feel "represented". I am not Puerto Rican like the character is, how does a half Puerto Rican character represent me who comes from. A Mexican background? There is a Mexican Spider-Man that people tend to forget exists. If I "need" to like a character just because they happen to be Hispanic, regardless of whether I can even identify with the character or not, then to me it makes more sense to like Miguel O'hara, Spider-Man 2099. He's Mexican-Irish.
Heck, my favorite super hero is the original Spider-man and I am neither white or male.

I remember reading somewhere about a story taking place in NYC "one of the most diverse cities in the world" it said, and the complain was that there was not enough diversity in the cast for being based in NYC, but these people screaming about diversity tend to forget that the reality is that people stick to their own. I live in a city very close to LA, (another diverse city) yet the high school I went to was like 96-97% Hispanic, mostly Mexican, with about 3% of their student population being Armenian and whatever minute percentage left being Asian and black. Just up the street from my high school there is another high school with a mostly Asian population. These two schools can't be more than 2-3 miles apart, yet their student body populations are vastly different. If they are practically in Los Angeles, why aren't their student body populations more even?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
Just gonna remind people "diversity" wasn't the only reason people got upset over High Guardian Spice. People also were upset they found out their subscription money was going to fund original western oriented shows and not all going back to the Japanese companies like they thought it was which is why they subbed to Crunchyroll in the first place. I wonder if their shift to Webtoon/Chinese/Korean adaptions was a sort of compromise.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll chose how to market High Guardian Spice, so telling another creator pitching a different story that the HGS backlash was the HGS creators fault was Crunchyroll passing the buck. And she bought it and blamed the HGS creators—she claims that her concept was rejected because she believed Crunchyroll’s execs reasoning. Honestly, I blame Crunchyroll—either they’re rejecting decent pitches that happen to have diverse casts because of their own marketing screw up, or they’re using it as an excuse to reject bad pitches without having to give constructive criticism.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I honestly don't care what color or sexual preference any character has but regardless, [b]I don't want it constantly pointed out unless it's an important plot point[/b]. I will never support a show just because the main character is a minority character. Come back to me with an awesome execution, storyline and animation and then we'll talk.

Ah yes I’m projecting my feelings right, characters can’t be LGBT or of color unless it’s important to the plot there has to be reason for them to be according to you. Yet all white and straight characters don’t need reasons to be that.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
Ah yes I’m projecting my feelings right, characters can’t be LGBT or of color unless it’s important to the plot there has to be reason for them to be according to you. Yet all white and straight characters don’t need reasons to be that.

No, what he was getting at was a story has to be able to stand on on its own merits. As pointed out earlier in this thread, I Love Lucy wasn't successful because of the diverse cast and having a female lead, it was because the show was, to put it simply, good.

If they create a diverse cast show that is good entertainment that excites viewers and makes them want more, good. But if it doesn't provide that, no amount of diversity is going to change the poor reception and sales it'll get...
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:31 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

No, what he was getting at was a story has to be able to stand on on its own merits. As pointed out earlier in this thread, I Love Lucy wasn't successful because of the diverse cast and having a female lead, it was because the show was, to put it simply, good.

If they create a diverse cast show that is good entertainment that excites viewers and makes them want more, good. But if it doesn't provide that, no amount of diversity is going to change the poor reception and sales it'll get...

That’s basically what I’m saying I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear if the story is great then you don’t need a plot reason for LGBT+ characters or characters of color to exist and be the way they are within the story. But they’re saying if you’re going to have LGBT+ characters or characters of color be prominent in the show then there has to be a very plot heavy reason as to why they are that and why they exist in the show and it’s like no you don’t. You can have those types of characters be there just like you have other white and straight character without having a reason for them to be there.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Just gonna remind people "diversity" wasn't the only reason people got upset over High Guardian Spice. People also were upset they found out their subscription money was going to fund original western oriented shows and not all going back to the Japanese companies like they thought it was which is why they subbed to Crunchyroll in the first place. I wonder if their shift to Webtoon/Chinese/Korean adaptions was a sort of compromise.

Webtoon made sense in terms of getting a massive amount of IP’s at once. It’s tough to compete on a show by show basis with companies like Netflix, particularly when your parent company has been vocal about selling you off ASAP, but acquiring a huge reservoir of content mitigates that issue significantly.

There are two ways to look as diversity. Diversity as a side effect of a story, where you just happen to write about characters of varying backgrounds, and diversity as a selling point, which the Crunchyroll audience has unilaterally rejected in any and all forms. The latter is also associated with guilt marketing. You know the type. “It’s not for you,” “watch this or else”, etc. all. And when your’e dealing with a niche market like anime viewers, Crunchyroll’s audience was not having it and the end result of the episode caused long term damage to their reputation. It’s no wonder they probably want to bury it and FreakAngels somewhere where it can be forgotten, except it can’t be forgotten since internet outrage channels post about it to poke the wound the second it seems people will forget.

If the corner has been turned, and if remembering how badly HGS went over, a company looks at say, Onyx Equinox and Cannon God Exaxxion, and chooses to invest money in Exaxxion, I welcome the sea change and the death of the Avatar clone.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

If the corner has been turned, and if remembering how badly HGS went over, a company looks at say, Onyx Equinox and Cannon God Exaxxion, and chooses to invest money in Exaxxion, I welcome the sea change and the death of the Avatar clone.

Never heard of Onyx Equinox, but Kenichi Sonoda's "Cannon God Exaxxion" yeah. Give me an anime of that in a heartbeat. Still not happy the western release of the manga was not completed, especially so close to the finale.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Its been 15 years since Avatar came out. If shows inspired by it are still coming out, I doubt it will ever just die.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Several posts and responses are gone. Several of you need to calm down and quit with the insults unless you want to wind up on moderation. Debate opinions all you want, but leave out the personal insults and passive aggressive bait comments. I also suggest some of you leave out the constant soap boxing on titles in countless threads that are unrelated.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The Avatar article was unverifiable. It’s been dismissed as heresay.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Crunchyroll chose how to market High Guardian Spice, so telling another creator pitching a different story that the HGS backlash was the HGS creators fault was Crunchyroll passing the buck. And she bought it and blamed the HGS creators—she claims that her concept was rejected because she believed Crunchyroll’s execs reasoning. Honestly, I blame Crunchyroll—either they’re rejecting decent pitches that happen to have diverse casts because of their own marketing screw up, or they’re using it as an excuse to reject bad pitches without having to give constructive criticism.

I'm not sure about that. Some of the creative names attached to HGS have done this exact kind of marketing style before in other mediums such as comic books. I don't believe Crunchyroll is the one responsible here at all. Perhaps they're partially to blame for the trailer, but there's plenty of creators that act exactly the way Eissa described when it comes to using diversity as the main selling point so I see no reason to not hold them to blame as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4