• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Boy, is Nicholas going to be mad at the very end when spoiler[this kid becomes god then kills himself, ending all life on Earth(though he didn't know that would happen and had ok intentions). ]. But who knows, maybe this adaption will be different? Confused

Which only gets worse when you take a step back and look at it from a thematic point of view, which, from the most generous perspective I can think of, spoiler[ is actually mirroring this exact same argument: that killing yourself is bad, because every life is precious, and you never know what impact a single life lost could have on the rest of the world (because, oops, God only meant to kill himself, but it wound up killing all life everywhere.) Oh, plus the death-seeking aliens, but who knows what the heck is up with that.]
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:00 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Fenrin wrote:
What queer character are you talking about? I'm blanking here.

GIrl A, the teenage lesbian bondage serial killer from a while back.

Ooh, right. I think calling her queer is a bit premature though, she just seemed to have that 'ew, boys are gross' trope mentality that crops up every once in a while in anime. It's like calling Jinguuji from Fantasy Bishoujo gay just because he finds girls scary. Unless of course he is...
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:41 am Reply with quote
I legit paused for about a minute or so trying to figure out who the queer character was supposed to be. I don't even know if most of the faces that appear in this series can count as characters.

Shift of direction is apparent but also, the entire talk about suicide managed to be almost as insulting as the entire anime of Babylon (does anybody remember that trainwreck?). I mean, all of the heavy topics and ideologies ring hollow in Platinum End. If Mirai's "killing is bad" can't convince a bone in anybody, why would "suicide is bad" do it. There is not even something to talk about because the arguments in this debate are like they were written by a grade schooler. If anything, what is being shown is Japan's poor approach to mental health issues.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Boy, is Nicholas going to be mad at the very end when spoiler[this kid becomes god then kills himself, ending all life on Earth(though he didn't know that would happen and had ok intentions). ]. But who knows, maybe this adaption will be different? Confused

Glad I haven't started watching yet, because this sounds incredibly stupid.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thought this was another great episode. I haven't read the manga so maybe thats why im loving the Anime so much but its easily one of my favorites this season.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A couple weeks ago, I mentioned the various ways it felt like Platinum End's visuals had taken a turn for the worse. Those are all still true, but something that I didn't realize at first was that those downgrades weren't just in the aesthetic, but in basically every level of visual storytelling and direction.

Apparently Hideya Takahashi left to work on Urusei Yatsura and Kazuchika Kise is directing for the second half.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have literally seen anime make office board meetings more interesting than this. It's that bad.

If it's about meeting from 1st episode of this season's "Kuroitsu-san", then yeah, it's way more interesting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Umm... did that scientist dude just say that only about 0.1% of world's population believe in God? ...What? Where is he pulling that number from?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:47 am Reply with quote
Haven’t watched the episode but from memory of the manga this arc just brings into sharper focus the author’s incredibly misconceived and sheltered idea of what other humans believe and why. I couldn’t bring myself to finish it but might take a look at the last few episodes to see how it all ends.

Edit: Oh I think what he was saying is that 0.1% of people have their lives so centred around the existence of god that they’d kill themselves if no candidate is selected. However regardless of the statistic this assumes two ridiculous things:

1. They’ll all believe the god candidate system 100% supplants and replaces their current beliefs because they saw people flying on TV.

2. If no candidate is chosen it’ll be such an affront to their central belief system that they’ll kill themselves, but as long as they know some rando was chosen to be god in a death game created by human prayers they’ll be totally fine with it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Mirai's approach is to continue to do nothing. I mean, I get that it would be similar to being a dictator, but, presumably, the world is as it is because of things done by the current god. Simply doing nothing would mean continuing to impose the will of that last dictator. But, that probably fits with the logic of a guy who sees his hands as clean if he didn't pull that trigger himself. It's baffling to me to see a main character whose whole bit has been to basically do nothing.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Platinum End went full Discworld on the god stuff in the end? Didn't see that coming.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly amused to remember that there are people who actually say anime are apolitical products who never preach any kind of message when this episode is literally characters debating their stance on religion and the character whose intended to be the smartest person in the world's stance is that Atheism is awesome and that only less than a single % of humanity seriously believes in God.

Oh yeah definitely no preaching. Laughing
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
Does anybody else have the impression that the creative team behind this has simply stopped trying? The opening scene where Susumu dies was supposed to have some kind of action but it was over after a couple of awkward still-shots? It seems to me like they've seen that the series doesn't get positive feedback and they have already given up on it, just typically doing their jobs so they can produce something until it ends.
joac101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the review could've at least gave the show some credit for its foreshadowing on Nasse. I think that until now, most of us didn't even realize she is the odd one for actually carrying Mirai back in the very first episode.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
That rant might be the purest form of whataboutism ever put to paper. What in the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8