• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Dress-Up Darling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
[ Kyouko Hori with her creepy and disturbing violence/abuse fetish from Horimiya.

Instead of "creepy and disturbing", I personally thought that was pretty damn funny and relatable.

Bad Boys are hot. Laughing Lots of girls can't deny it. Kyouko's no exception.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 pm Reply with quote
6:

Gojo sees a girl in full frontal.
A flashback about (doll's) hair ensues.

I'm sorry but that felt incredibly creepy. Not comfortable with that one.

And I also felt like letting a stranger enter the house and use the bathroom, even if she claims to know Gojo, is naive on the gramp's part. Cynically I would say it only happened as a setup to the impending hijinks at the bathroom, but even after putting this aside, the whole situation rubbed me the wrong way.

At first I thought Sajuna would be a third wheel, and more importantly, a love rival to Kitagawa's newfound crush on Gojo but apparently not. Maybe she really is a rival. But anyway, for now she's Gojo's second client. I think she's a plot device. The show is primarily about Gojo and Kitagawa after all, so why would I not think so?

Kitagawa having a crush on Gojo is adorable. If the show enjoys being indulgent, then at least it's doing this one right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, would not be offended or sad if I never had to watch another, "dude inexplicably opens bathroom door and sees naked girl" scene ever again. Come on, anime, you're better than this. Can we not retire this uber, uber, uber, uber tired trope? Jesus.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I, for one, would not be offended or sad if I never had to watch another, "dude inexplicably opens bathroom door and sees naked girl" scene ever again. Come on, anime, you're better than this. Can we not retire this uber, uber, uber, uber tired trope? Jesus.

I agree. So many of these T&A tropes just are tired and old at this point. In the case of Dress Up Darling it actively takes away from the experience for me. I've harped enough in other threads on the extra sexy bits the story simply doesn't need. There's enough sexiness with the cosplay outfits, and even the tropes (like the embarrassed trying clothes on bit) that are related to those parts make sense. This scene and others just are tired and old, and also add nothing to this story. I was hoping the anime would cut some of them out and go easier on it. Nope.

I still am enjoying the series very much, but in almost every episode there's at least 1 part where I have to sigh aloud and ask aloud did we really need that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not even complaining about the fanservice angle (although the fact that she looks like a middle school kid does add to the "ugh" factor). Let's use a silly example: say there was an anime trope out there that when a character walks into a bathroom, a parrot is sitting on the edge of the bath tub and goes "wonka-wonka-wonka."

After about the 400th time seeing that, I'm sure I'd be saying, "hey man, can we retire this uber, uber, uber, tired trope?" I mean, if it's absolutely critical to you as the creator of an anime to have a scene where a dude sees a girl naked can you not change the pitch up a little and find some other way than a dolt walking into a bathroom?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
I can't say any of it bothers me. The nudity and situations were part of the manga and are part of the anime. Non of it does anything for me but it doesn't bother me either. It is just the way Japan does it. I like the show and wouldn't have given any of the fanservice a second thought if people weren't complaining about it.

Its like what the hotel manager told the tee-total old lady who found a bottle of Angostura in her room, "Lady, you have to take the bitters with the suite".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Gojo sees a girl in full frontal.
A flashback about (doll's) hair ensues.

I'm sorry but that felt incredibly creepy. Not comfortable with that one.

Yeah, not too subtle that.

And on top of the contrived and gratuitous service, they pile on the blackmail trope besides. Ugh.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
they pile on the blackmail trope besides. Ugh.

Oh, I totally forgot about this, swept away as I was by the full-frontal middle-schooler bromide. I.. yeah. This episode's core ideas definitely feel like the dustiest and least novel that the series has had so far.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:
[ Kyouko Hori with her creepy and disturbing violence/abuse fetish from Horimiya.

Instead of "creepy and disturbing", I personally thought that was pretty damn funny and relatable.

Bad Boys are hot. Laughing Lots of girls can't deny it. Kyouko's no exception.

And when they become adults reality hits, then divorce (often) happens.

Blood- wrote:
I, for one, would not be offended or sad if I never had to watch another, "dude inexplicably opens bathroom door and sees naked girl" scene ever again.

These type of worn out tropes make me want another season of Aho-Girl to send them up in parody flames.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

And on top of the contrived and gratuitous service, they pile on the blackmail trope besides. Ugh.

Do not know about Japan, but in the USA they might find a charge equivalent to "wasting the time of the police" if that incident was reported.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:20 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Do not know about Japan, but in the USA they might find a charge equivalent to "wasting the time of the police" if that incident was reported.

I have trouble imagining any country where a charge of peeping on a stranger in your own home would hold up for five seconds. That's not the point. The point is that she was so quick to resort to it to get the upper hand. Cause, you know, bitches always be lyin' and all. Again, ugh.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
7:

I died when Gojo thought that Marin makes good fried rice.

Nothing much to comment about this episode tbh. I am somewhat glad that the "home date" didn't turn out to be as lewd as it could have been. More adorable than lewd. No, it doesn't surprise me that Marin didn't feel that self-conscious at how she dresses around Gojo. But I did notice how her body was positioned towards Gojo when they were watching the anime the whole time. Her crush on Gojo is anything but subtle.

Was I surprised that Inui's baby sister is the exact opposite of Inui? No. Not one bit. It's the most predictable thing I can ever imagine this show would do.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:44 am Reply with quote
I thought that it pretty interesting that Marin’s only self-consciousness was the fact that she didn’t have her colored contacts in. Watching the episode on Crunchyroll, I was pretty surprised at the number of people in the comments section that didn’t even notice the eye color change until she mentioned it and had to go back to look.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:29 am Reply with quote
I noticed it right away. She looked strangely normal (paradoxical, much) without them, and I knew it looked off because her contacts were missing.

Her blushing over her contacts is the most Marin reaction.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
9:

Marin so horny she hasn't even realized how horny she's become.

What's stopping her from showing off her lingerie already at this point, ammarite.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:43 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
9:

Marin so horny she hasn't even realized how horny she's become.

What's stopping her from showing off her lingerie already at this point, ammarite.

Are we talking about with just Gojo, or the some notes of her likely bisexuality relating to her reactions to the other cosplayers?

While they were looking at the home made ways to make her look more masculine, my general response was that they know that binders are a thing right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5