• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone: New World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I quite frankly find the superhuman BS more believable than Senku virtually universal knowledge and the fact that everything he tries he does it first time with almost no try and error.

For example, the ship, I don't believe for a second they could assemble such complicated machine in a year no matter what you tell me, next to that, the fact that there are characters that can dual wield hammers or jump really high it's nothing.

We've touched upon Kohaku's superhuman strength and Senku's borderline flawless brain, but what about Suika and her magic watermelon? Laughing
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
If we can generate a few more examples, maybe we can force Crunchy to stop listing Dr. Stone as a documentary. Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I quite frankly find the superhuman BS more believable than Senku virtually universal knowledge and the fact that everything he tries he does it first time with almost no try and error..

We've touched upon Kohaku's superhuman strength and Senku's borderline flawless brain, but what about Suika and her magic watermelon? Laughing
To the first comment, they do show him having to do some things like the glassblowing and lens grinding requiring trial and error, so I expect there is some happening off-screen. To the second...don't think too much about it. If you do, you'll imagine a skeletally thin child curling up backwards Shocked
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I thought we had had full confirmation that Byakuya and Lillian did have children. She was also the last of the five to die if memory serves, since they'd all already had children when the pneumonia hit and two of the astronauts were lost at sea. I know it's at least heavily implied that the chieftain line of Ishigami village (and thus Kohaku and Ruri) are their descendants.
James02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It's been a great season so far especially with where it ended Part 1. I'm really looking forward to Part 2 of this season later this year.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
More than sure that Byakuya and Lillian had children before Lillian's passing. It'd honestly be a bit strange to me if they didn't, relying on the other astronauts to have as many children as possible before they passed but never contributing themselves. I know that sounds rather gauche as I'm typing it, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't have had at least one child together. Unless Byakuya and Connie then Lillian and Shamil had children instead, which... guess I can't say it's impossible, but I would extremely doubt it.

But as for this episode in general... If it's possible to love Byakuya more, this episode made it show. Such a devoted man, never giving up on Senku, humanity, or science. His passing was heart-retching in the manga, but then to see it animated, with that beautiful starry sky reflection in the water... Very bittersweet. Kohaku's part of the story was so good too. Hearing her realize how much she has changed and found herself a place in The Kingdom of Science, being able to understand that what seems like nothing may be something and making sure the sand was safely delivered to Senku... I love seeing her growth here. Love the return of the "lioness" crack, too.

They also picked a fantastic moment to end the cour on, with the knowledge that the tides are about to change. I just wish we could see it now versus waiting until October, but I'll be patient. What's to come is going to be well worth the wait.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the petrification beam isn't magic but rather science. This means it follows the natural laws of our reality...
Well, as a "scientist" myself IRL I sincerely hope they don't attempt some "explanation" and just leave it at "science magic" because there is so much about the petrification field/beam that doesn't follow true physical science or chemistry. Still, this doesn't stop from me absolutely nerding-out over this show and I love the continuation as much as S1! Also floored by the sand/powder art for the ED, I've seen sand art done real-time and those tableau would have taken hours. I think it safe to say the artist is World Class in that medium.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I understand reviving Yuzuriha, Ukyo, and Chrome, I'm surprised they didn't pick any fighters. Nikki, Kinro, and Magma aren't quite as strong as Kohaku but they're far from useless—especially with a big fight coming up.
-looks at the OP, looks at the manga, just smiles-

Quote:
Is there anything cuter than Suika making paper hats for everyone who usually wears one once they're brought back?
No, no there is not. <3 She's a sweet little cinnamon roll; I love her little moments in these past few episodes.

Honestly, I loved this episode because of all of the Gen expressions. It was so great seeing him shine like this. We haven't seen him have a moment like this in so long, and it's good to see his abilities as a mentalist come forth. Also, loved the cute moment between Taiju and Yuzuriha. We haven't seen the two of them being "couple-y" in quite a long time, so it was refreshing to see that.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yep, making a gun was a big deal here. Up until now, somebody's fighting prowess came down to their own skill and physical strength. Now somebody relatively weak can become a physical threat. I already had that concern when there was just a brief glance of Magma looking like he was thinking about it. Maybe he has changed enough that he won't try anything, but for a long time, he fancied himself the ruler of the village, and the main thing stopping him was that Kohaku could beat him in a fight.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kinro is the star of this episode. Not only does he cut an intimidating figure in his new outfit, but the way he immediately volunteers for what is a suicide mission to save his best friend and Kohaku is some powerful stuff.
Only a slight technical correction here. Not saying that they can't be each other's best friends, because that is certainly true, but Kinro and Ginro are brothers too. I think that's what driving him more so than anything else.

I agree, though, Kinro's moment in this episode - small as it was - was HUGE. It had been awhile since we've seen a big moment with Kinro, with the last one IMO being back in S2 when he attempted to test the strength of the shields made from paper, and even then, that was small potatoes in comparison. It's nice to see him have this moment, and I can't wait for what's to come.

I also liked Yo getting some spotlight as well. We hadn't seen much of him as a "good guy" yet, although now we do. Granted, in his own Yo way, but still. The only nitpick I have with the first half of the episode - and it's very small - is that we have a very quick shot of Amaryllis getting all pumped up prior to her going over to Yo to use her charms on him. I do wish there was a little bubble indicating this, like the text does in the manga, because it looked kinda out of place without it. Her line about complimenting Yo's rod was pure perfection and I was rolling. Anime hyper

But yeah... no turning back now with a gun. I do love the weight of that conversation that came with it, especially from Ukyo's point of view. He was the one that didn't want bloodshed during the Stone Wars, making it a point of his demands in order to have his support, so I know that the thought of creating and using a gun was a big test of his morals versus the necessity. Senku's line about how his seat in hell is being kept warm for him also shows how much this idea affects him too. It was a hell of a scene, and I'm glad the anime kept as much of the levity of it intact as what was in the manga.

I also giggled at Yuzuriha making the cloaks with Suika inside one. So darn cute. And very happy to see the return of Magma and Nikki as well. Now to turn attention to the next episode, which I'm rather curious as to how the episode will go about the next bit of revelations.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Kinro and Ginro are brothers, eh? Somehow never caught that. Or maybe forgot it, suppose it has been a while since their introduction..
zekro94

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If anyone wants to know, the managaka duo explained that yes, Kinro and Ginro are brothers, that was in chapter 17 but the anime skipped it since it was like an extra or something. Their dad is named Tetsuken and their mother Shirogane

Edit: So I rewatched episode 9 and when spinning the 2 copper discs Kohaku says "Leave it to the brothers to be in sync" referring to Ginro and Kinro. So of course Kinro gets emotional in the latest episode
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:26 am Reply with quote
To be fair, a lot of people (when revived) would know enough about guns to build one. A lot of people have built tin can cannons, which use the same basic principles. It's not that complex a contraption, although doing it wrong would make it dangerous. So it would get reinvented eventually. With everyone revived, given the knowledge and skills people have already, it may only take 100 years or less to get back to a 20th century level of technology, including computers. But you would have to work quickly or most of that could be lost within decades.
This mainly changes their situation. They now have to deal with ranged weapons such as guns so getting close to talk might not work. And if the wrong person gets the gun it would make things even more dangerous.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
Magma is always doing his best to mess everything up. He’s also too excited at the prospect of shooting someone, lol.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 16 paidoff two things that I thought would happen. Magma's reaction to the gun was a giveaway that he is still Magma. It was also kind of an obvious blunder to give Moz a hearing receiver that looked just like Kohaku's, and that ended up giving things away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6